Saturday 19 February 2022

Altenate Best Supporting Actor 2021: Jeffrey Wright in The French Dispatch

Jeffrey Wright did not receive an Oscar nomination, despite winning and being nominated for a few critics' awards, for portraying Roebuck Wright in The French Dispatch. 

The French Dispatch tells three stories, and some change, around an American newspaper that operates in France. The film you might call a purity of the Anderson style, though that does NOT mean the same thing as his best film, rather it feels as though it is Anderson purging anything one might not immediately apply to Anderson as though to construct a genre among himself. Although I enjoyed this film largely just to enjoy that purity as someone who enjoys Anderson's style without much reservation, even within that context the first and third of the main stories better realize this than the middle story that drags a bit. Although I think in what drags about this film is what many have argued entirely against the film, though I don't quite agree with the full accusation, that it is bereft of emotional character. I think that is true for the manifesto story, but it can be found in the other two, though they are not the focus. Either way I would rather see Anderson perhaps go back a little to his more overtly character driven work, or perhaps go onto something completely new, even if I largely enjoyed this specific experiment of sorts. 

That long description of my thoughts on the film finally bring me to one Jeffrey Wright who "leads" the third story, that of a food critic who gets caught up into the kidnapping of the commissioner of police's son. Every story is told both within the context of the original news article and some additional method. In the case of this story we get Roebuck Wright recalling his tale on a later television interview. Roebuck Wright is essentially Wes Anderson's version of James Baldwin, as both are a homosexual African American expatriate with a distinct mellifluous voice. Jeffrey Wright then is impeccably cast thanks to his naturally mellifluous voice, which in turn also provides this story with one of its greatest assets. The asset being Wright's narration, the greatest narration in a film filled with narrations, where Wright amplifies his already striking voice by making it ever so slightly deeper and richer, therefore closer to the voice of Baldwin. It isn't an impression as Baldwin, but it is a supreme evocation of the man's voice. A voice that instantly captures one's intention and instantly makes one want to follow Roebuck as he recounts his strange tale of crime and food. Wright leads you into the strange tale, as he goes to dine within a police station with the commissioner and his personal chef, with this most intriguing energy. His voice inviting as it is striking as he pulls you into his strange labyrinthine trek just to find the initial dining table. Wright's physical performance amplifying this just a touch more as there's a specific sense of discovery in his movement as he seems to guide us through his story with the right sense of intrigue. 

There is a great deal of fun just to hear Wright recounting, and perhaps most purely succeeds in the idea of the journalistic tale because of Wright's voice. There's a kind of musical rhythm to every step of his of his tale thanks to the perfection of Wright's delivery. The strength of Wright's vocal work even makes me intrigued to see if he's had a career in audio-book narration at all, and if not, I would hope he would grace texts with that wonderful timbre of his. Although just the way he tells the tale would be enough for me to describe this performance as a success and to be one of the most valuable players in the film, because he makes the idea of recounting a news article compelling in the delivery alone, there is that emotional element that I mentioned before. Wright's performance punctuates the piece with deeply emotional moments throughout the tale both past and "present". When Roebuck notes his suffering at the hands of others for not his hate but rather his love, is where Wright most evokes Baldwin I think through this brilliant sort of calm intensity as he speaks philosophically. The potency of the emotion in a way is just how calm he speaks towards what is in reality such a deep wound. It is this idiosyncratic manner that should be tricky to realize, however Wright does it with tremendous ease. We reveal more so the present emotion in two scenes one of Roebuck seeing the "chicken coop" lock up in the prison on his way to dinner, and his own time spent in there for homosexual acts. Wright is incredibly moving in these two moments. The first just through his brief delivery of concern as he asks how long the current prisoner has been locked away with this potent sadness related to his remembrance. Wright in the further past moment shows such a sense of the horrible treatment of the man as his expression denotes such pained isolation and depression as he sits alone in the coop. The titular paper's editor (Bill Murray) offers his only solace through a job, which is rather surprisingly inspirational, in large part due to the hope and appreciation Wright conveys so powerfully in expression even within the brevity of the sceen. There are two more moments still which Wright punctuates so affectingly. The first being his giving the "why" for his interest in writing about food. Wright speaks with passion and pathos in equal measure as he speaks towards the loneliness Roebuck feels yet the comfort he can always find within a fine meal. Finally we get a truly special moment between he and the police chef discuss the strange experience the chef had where he discovered a new flavor, which was discovered through having to poison himself in order to poison the kidnapping gang. The empathy Wright expresses and even the camaraderie, where he notes that like the chef he is a foreigner, is with the strictest of sincerity and crafts such a poignant moment of the two men having this beautiful moment of understanding and specific appreciation of life and one another. This is such a pitch perfect performance, and the highlight of the film for me, to the point I ponder if perhaps Anderson should've built the whole around Roebuck. Nonetheless Wright's performance so successfully succeeds in both delivering the unique style of the film at its most delectable and doing so with an honest and essential undercurrent of genuine humanity.

37 comments:

Mitchell Murray said...

Ahh..perhaps I've undervalued Wright for the line up. Oh well..I'll admit, I wasn't particularly interested in watching this film, but maybe I'll appreciate his work at least.

Mitchell Murray said...

Also, I asked this on the last post, but just so there's a chance for people to respond here it is again.

For anyone whose seen/heard the following, what would be your thoughts on these VA performances and songs?

Performances:
Graham McTavish as Dracula - Netflix's Castlevania series
James Arnold Taylor as Obi Wan Kenobi - Clone Wars
Eric Loomis as Iron Man/Rick D. Wasserman as Thor - Earth's Mightiest Heroes
Troy Baker as Joel/Ashley Johnson as Ellie - The Last of Us (2013)
Henry Rollins as Zaheer/Zelda Williams as Kuvira - The Legend of Korra

Songs:
What Lies Beneath - Breaking Benjamin
Darkest Part - Red
Ten Million Voices - Shaman's Harvest

Luke Higham said...

Boy was I expecting Pacino/Leto, this is not good for my prediction.

Anyway, a terrific piece of work from Wright.

Calvin Law said...

He's fantastic here, really disappears into the role so brilliantly. Him and Park's big scene is easily my favourite scene in the film.

Calvin Law said...

I will say, I like the midsection much more than most, it's a bit too wayward but I thoroughly enjoyed Chalamet's work and found the way it ended quite poignant even if the route to get there is a bit muddled.

Robert MacFarlane said...

I kind of love the midsection. It's *SO* vague about what the students are actually protesting that it manages to loop around into weirdly astute.

RatedRStar said...

Mitchell Murray: Even though I am a die hard Rock fan, its hard for me and others to review songs besides saying " Yes I liked it, no I didn't like it" I will try here though

What Lies Beneath - A pretty solid slow burn from BB, not one of their best but good enough from a solid band IMO.

Darkest Park: it has a fine bulid up, but I am familar with the band
"Red" and it feels pretty similar to a lot of their songs which is a dark brooding slow burn followed by aggressive heavy handed lyrics, BTW Red one of the worst band names ever, I mean why not Green or Yellow since we have P!nk and the boy band Blue available.

Ten Million Voices: You like slow burner songs dont' you lol, this is better, as it has a nice chorus and voice while not feeling as heavy handed as Darkest Park.

Robert MacFarlane said...

To everyone: Can anyone tell me what movie they think of when they listen to this song? I feel like there's a few answers depending on whose listening to it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GzKlcX2BR6M

Aidan Pittman said...

He's honestly stayed with me very well since I first saw the film and based on what I've see so far he honestly might be my own win. I also agreed with Calvin that I do like the manifesto story even if it is easily the weakest of the three.

Also saw The Worst Person in the World last night which I thought was great, and I'm now even more happy that Being the Ricardos missed that Original Screenplay nomination for this instead.

Reinsve - 5
Lie - 4.5
Nordrum - 4

Calvin Law said...

Aidan: In terms of pure surprise and joy, that was probably my favourite nom of the day. I do think if Neon had campaigned the film even sooner and harder like they did with Spencer, Reinsve could've gotten in too.

RatedRStar said...

Michell: As for those voices, being a gamer, there is only two I could review.

Troy Baker in The Last of Us: Easily his best performance, he actually doesn't use his normal voice, instead using a Texan drawl which works well, his scenes with his dying daughter are brilliant as Baker brings us into a naturally tragic moment, beyond that he does great dramatic work as he becomes this guardian to a new young girl who he has daughter feeling towards.

Ashley Johnson in The Last Of Us: A lot of people say this is very Eliott Page, but I think there is something more as a stubborn chatty girl who refuses to trust, she is great as this somewhat innocent girl who is forced to become a killer, in particular when Joel is injured and she has to become the hunter she is rather disturbing.

Aidan Pittman said...

Calvin: Given the overall response to the film I honestly think that it could've gotten a Best Picture nomination too as well as a nom for Reinsve had Neon pushed it harder.

Calvin Law said...

Aidan: Definitely. I liked Spencer a lot but even just based on festival reception they should've pushed Worst Person more as it was being raved about at Cannes and Reinsve won Best Actress there. Everyone seemed to love it, the problem was that it was pushed too late and I reckon lots of people only got to see it relatively late.

On that note my answer to Robert's question about the song would actually be Worst Person.

Mitchell Murray said...

RatedRStar: Yes, I quite like alot of slow burn rock. Also, there are certain VA performances where the voice really doesn't seem to match the person, and Baker in TLOU is one of them; That accent alone is a mile away from his normal voice, but he also plays into Joel's age and brutish strength incredibly well.

Robert: To your song (Final Girl by Chvrches, for those who don't know)...I'm getting an 80s slasher vibe. I think it would fit strangely well for something like "Friday the 13th", or perhaps the films of the late Wes Craven.

Robert MacFarlane said...

Mitchell: The entire album has a horror movie theme ("Screen Violence"). I've actually had a few ideas in adapting the album as a movie.

Mitchell Murray said...

Also, in regards to the "Last of Us"...my favourite section of that game is probably when Joel and Ellie go into Lincoln in search of Bill/a car.

From a gameplay perspective, it offers a nice blend of worldbuilding, character dialogue and weapon buffs. From a VA perspective, though, I really like the humour and begrudged teamwork that comes out of the trio, which everyone plays really well (Side note: W. Earl Brown was perfect for Bill, and would be my choice for Bill Williamson in a live action "Red Dead Redemption").

RatedRStar said...

Robert Macfarlane: Whenever I listen to CHVRCHES I think of a 2010s film that has 80s vibes, so I would say Neon Demon, good song actually, although I don't think The Mother We Share will ever be topped.

Calvin Law said...

Actually RatedRStar nails it, Neon Demon is something else that came to mine but just couldn’t figure out what exactly.

RatedRStar said...

There are always those feelings, where you go " when is this guy gonna get Oscar Nominated" Jeffrey Wright is someone who I hope, even if he gets a Jesse Plemons style nomination, gets nominated someday.

I think Paul Dano may be that very person in 2022, I just have a feeling.

Calvin Law said...

I think Dano is getting nominated for The Fabelmans. I wonder if he came close at all for There Will Be Blood.

Matt Mustin said...

Calvin: It's weird because 2007 is a great year for supporting actor, but you wouldn't know that if you look at the Academy's lineup.

Louis Morgan said...

Calvin:

He was definitely either #6 or #7. I might even say #6 because, by all precursor logic, Tommy Lee Jones should've been in the top five yet somehow his support all successfully shifted to best actor in the last minute, despite not getting any major precursors recognition for In the Valley of Elah.

Matt Mustin said...

Louis: Any rating changes?

Lucas Saavedra said...

Louis: what ratings would you give to Marlee Matlin in CODA and Agatha Rouselle in Titane after having rewatched those films?

Matt Mustin said...

I liked the Manifesto segment, and actually I liked Chalamet here more than I liked him in Dune.

Luke Higham said...

Louis: Did you watch The Book Of Boba Fett.

Razor said...

Louis: Did you also watch Peacemaker? Since you enjoyed Cena's work in TSS.

And is Vincent Lindon still a 4 for Titane? Was hoping for an upgrade but I guess that's not happening lol.

HTT said...

A well deserved 4.5 for Wright. I probably love this movie more than anyone on this blog, so this review was just a delight. Would love seeing a review for Del Toro later, as he was the MVP in my opinion.

Matt Mustin said...

HTT: Uh, I love the movie also, for the record.

HTT said...

Matt:
+10 respect

Louis Morgan said...

Matt & Lucas:

No ratings have changed.

Luke:

I saw parts of it, from what I saw, it looked pretty bad.

Razor:

I did watch Peacemaker, and while Gunn occasionally gets into his Guardians 2 habits of laboring a joke, though less severe here, overall I rather liked it for the action, the overall plot, and especially characters who were realized through some surprisingly emotional arcs. And I have to say Cena was surprisingly really good, as he took what he did in The Suicide Squad and went even further with it, showing an emotional range, I'll be honest, I just didn't think he had.

BRAZINTERMA said...

Louis: Say your TOP 10 of the best cast and first movie revelations (among actors, actresses, directors and screenwriters) in 2021

Luke Higham said...

Getting away from pro wrestling has done me a world of good in my view of Cena cause I got sick of the sight of him when he was on top.

Luke Higham said...

Louis: Any more thoughts on Cena.

Mitchell Murray said...

Louis: What would be your top 5 performances of WWE wrestlers turned actors?

It's not exactly a wide field, but there are a few notable outings I believe - the most notable one prior to the Rock's breakthrough probably being Andre the Giant in "The Princess Bride".

Razor said...

Louis: Glad you liked it. Also thoughts on these cast members if you're not too busy?

Danielle Brooks
Freddie Stroma
Chukwudi Iwuji
Jennifer Holland
Steve Agee
Robert Patrick
Annie Chang
Christopher Heyerdahl

Louis Morgan said...

Mitchell:

1. John Cena - Peacemaker
2. Andre the Giant - The Princess Bride
3. Dave Bautista - The Guardians of the Galaxy
4. Dave Bautista - Blade Runner 2049
5. John Cena - The Suicide Squad

Brazinterma:

Do you mean debuts or breakouts?

And Luke is correct I'll reveal best ensembles later.

Razor:

Later.