Monday 29 March 2021

Alternate Best Actor 2020: Results

5. Dev Patel in The Personal History of David Copperfield - Patel meets the challenge of making an often bland protagonist engaging, and delivers an absolutely winning turn.

Best Scene: Any imitation.
4. Kingsley Ben-Adir in One Night In Miami - Ben-Adir gives a remarkable portrayal of Malcolm X that delivers the specific power of the man, but also wonderfully humanizing him. 

Best Scene: Reaction to "Change Gonna Come".
3. Mark Rylance in Waiting For the Barbarians - Rylance brings his unique abilities as a performer once again, making such a striking impression of quiet and earnest humanity in a world of cruelty.

Best Scene: Final confrontation with the Colonel and his dog.
2. Mads Mikkelsen in Another Round - Mikkelsen gives a brilliant performance this in so powerful in showing the unlikely progression of a man to finding his joy of life again, through drink, but eventually through self-discovery and moderation.

Best Scene: The Dance.
1. Delroy Lindo in Da 5 Bloods - Good prediction Michael McCarthy. As much as I adore Mikkelsen and greatly prefer his film, I can't deny the achievement of Delroy Lindo here. His work simply is stunning from the first minute in creating such a complex and powerful portrayal of a man struggling to face his demons after so many years. Although even more notable is the fact that he isn't even my win, which speaks to the strength of this year (any year is amazing when Steven Yeun in Minari can't make it into a top five), and the strength of my winner, who I think gives one of the greatest performances ever given (a line delivering the same opinion was removed from my original Hopkins review for the sake of suspense).

Best Scene: Mad in the jungle.
Overall Ranking:
  1. Anthony Hopkins in The Father
  2. Delroy Lindo in Da 5 Bloods
  3. Mads Mikkelsen in Another Round
  4. Chadwick Boseman in Ma Rainey's Black Bottom
  5. Riz Ahmed in Sound of Metal
  6. Steven Yeun in Minari
  7. Hugh Jackman in Bad Education
  8. Mark Rylance in Waiting for the Barbarians
  9. Gary Oldman in Mank - 5
  10. Byung-hun Lee in The Man Standing Next 
  11. Kingsley Ben-Adir in One Night in Miami
  12. Dev Patel in The Personal History of David Copperfield 
  13. Sope Dirisu in His House
  14. George MacKay in True History of the Kelly Gang
  15. Jesse Plemons in I'm Thinking of Ending Things 
  16. Cosmo Jarvis in Calm With Horses
  17. Leslie Odom Jr. in One Night in Miami
  18. John Boyega in Red, White and Blue 
  19. Shaun Parkes in Mangrove - 4.5
  20. Adam Brody in The Kid Detective
  21. Ibrahima Gueye in The Life Ahead
  22. Jamie Foxx in Soul
  23. Andy Samberg in Palm Springs
  24. Charles Dance in Fanny Lye Deliver'd 
  25. Orion Lee in First Cow
  26. John Magaro in First Cow
  27. Sacha Baron Cohen in Borat Subsequent Moviefilm
  28. Rob Morgan in Bull
  29. Lance Henriksen in Falling
  30. Franz Rogowski in Undine
  31. Tom Holland in The Devil All the Time
  32. Clarke Peters in Da 5 Bloods 
  33. Jude Law in The Nest 
  34. Kevin Costner in Let Him Go
  35. Bill Murray in On The Rocks 
  36. Tom Hanks in News of the World
  37. Dylan O'Brien in Love and Monsters
  38. Nicolas Cage in Color Out of Space
  39. Ben Affleck in The Way Back 
  40. Christopher Abbott in Possessor
  41. Sheyi Cole in Alex Wheatle
  42. Alan Kim in Minari - 4
  43. Alex Winter in Bill and Ted Face the Music
  44. Keanu Reeves in Bill and Ted Face the Music
  45. Welket Bungue in Berlin Alexanderplatz
  46. Michael Angelo Covino in The Climb
  47. John David Washington in Tenet
  48. Toby Wallace in Babyteeth 
  49. George Clooney in Midnight Sky 
  50. Jesse Eisenberg in Resistance
  51. Chris Pratt in Onward
  52. Tom Holland in Onward 
  53. Kenyah Sandy in Education
  54. Lucas Jaye in Driveways 
  55. Ethan Hawke in Tesla 
  56. Claes Bang in The Burnt Orange Heresy
  57. Tom Hanks in Greyhound 
  58. Shia LaBeouf in Pieces of a Woman 
  59. Ivan Trojan in Charlatan - 3.5
  60. Kyle Marvin in The Climb
  61. Nicholas Hoult in The Banker
  62. Anthony Mackie in The Banker
  63. Samuel L. Jackson in The Banker
  64. Juan Daniel Garcia Treviño in I'm No Longer Here
  65. Rouhollah Zamani in Sun Children
  66. Nnamdi Asomugha in Sylvie's Love
  67. Bakary Koné in Night of the Kings
  68. Pete Davidson in The King of Staten Island 
  69. Sam Rockwell in The One and Only Ivan 
  70. Daniel Radcliffe in Escape From Pretoria
  71. Chris Hemsworth in Extraction
  72. Viggo Mortensen in Falling 
  73. Will Smith in Bad Boys For Life - 3
  74. Daniel Webber in Escape from Pretoria
  75. Vin Diesel in Bloodshot
  76. Freddie Fox in Fanny Lye Deliver'd
  77. Paul Bettany in Uncle Frank
  78. Matthew McConaughey in The Gentlemen
  79. Steve Carell in Irresistible 
  80. Jim Parsons in The Boys in the Band
  81. Henry Golding in Monsoon 
  82. Sebastian Stan in The Last Full Measure
  83. Jahzir Kadeem Bruno in The Witches
  84. Ben Schwartz in Sonic The Hedgehog - 2.5
  85. James Marsden in Sonic The Hedgehog  
  86. Chris Rock in The Witches
  87. Bryan Cranston in The One and Only Ivan
  88. Tom Hardy in Capone 
  89. Martin Lawrence in Bad Boys For Life - 2
  90. Armie Hammer in Rebecca - 1.5 
  91. James Corden in The Prom
  92. Gabriel Basso in Hillbilly Elegy 
  93. Owen Asztalos in Hillbilly Elegy - 1
Next Year: 2020 alternate supporting

53 comments:

Louis Morgan said...

And now I can finally reveal that Hopkins was a foregone conclusion since December 31st.

Luke Higham said...

Damn!

Louis: Your ratings and thoughts on the rest of the performances you've previously haven't given thoughts on.

Luke Higham said...

Laurie/Whishaw
Rylance
Mendelsohn
Hoult/Crowe
Dennehy

And a bonus review for Bo Burnham.

Michael McCarthy said...

Kiss the ring boys.

Calvin Law said...

Well played, Michael.

Robert MacFarlane said...

Ben Mendelsohn
Bo Burnham
Johnny Flynn (I guess this one is a “me” thing?)
Aldis Hodge
Russel Crowe

Michael McCarthy said...

I guess I can't think of anything other than Hoult, Mendelsohn, Rylance, Laurie, and Dennehy. Though I kinda hope there's a surprise thrown in there.

Luke Higham said...

Congrats Michael.

Calvin Law said...

Wouldn’t mind Malachi Kirby in Mangrove either, but I’m more than content with the expected ones.

Aidan Pittman said...

Whoa! Did not expect Lindo to place above Mikkelsen. Glad to see him get the recognition, though, brilliant performance.

Luke Higham said...

Louis: Would it be possible to do a write-up on Lee when you return to 2020 Lead.

Matt Mustin said...

Yeah, can't say I saw that coming.

Anonymous said...

Louis: Your top 30 Oscar-nominated Lead Actor performances.

Matt Mustin said...

I really am flip-flopping between Boseman and Lindo as my number 2. I should rewatch them both, to help me decide. Hopkins is my number 1 no matter what.

Luke Higham said...

Louis: I've decided to use my request now and it's Clancy Brown in Highlander.

Matt Mustin said...

Luke: Ha, nice.

Luke Higham said...

HAPPY HALLOWEEN MATT!

Louis Morgan said...

Luke:

No, I purposefully didn't review him to spread the wealth, but he's a definite 4.5 for me, as another very good turn, though lesser than his other two volcanic performances I have reviewed.

Dance - (It is very much working within the Dance blend, as the hard-bitten authoritarian. It is a bit interesting than some others in that regard as he gets moments of getting to play with the nuance of this a bit. Dance excelling in those moments though I wish there had been more of them. Now even with that, he is of course good at being the cold puritanical type, if it is a bit too expected at this point.)

Eisenberg - (I actually didn't think the film was that bad, nor was it that good however. I am coming around to Eisenberg a bit in general because he delivers performances you just aren't going to see elsewhere and there is something in that. There are a lot of wonderful moments in this work in which he plays up the sort of cleverness of the mime. Although his accent can be argued as slightly much I think it works, as does his general emotional conviction in the role. There's some genuine moving moments here and I liked this turn from him.)

Banker trio - (Fascinating idea wasted by an inert take. All three are more than fine in playing pretty basic types however their interactions are too stilted, at the basic script level, for it to really work past a certain point.)

Asomugha - (Relatively charming turn, but really not that notable either.)

Fox - (Yeah this part really needed a performance overflowing with charisma, I didn't think he quite had that, this as I thought he came off as just more creepy than I think was the intention. I found him kind of obnoxious after awhile and kind of agreed with Dance's grimace at a certain point. He needed to own his scenes, and he just doesn't.)

Golding - (This film feels frankly disjointed with how stilted the acting is. Hate to say it, but I think everyone bought into Golding a bit too quickly based on this and the Gentlemen. He's just kind of a pretty thin performer based on this, and can't seem to do much if he can't coast on his charm.)

Bruno & Rock - (I actually have to say if the film didn't have so much CGI, I actually don't think I would've even considered it bad. Still Rock's voice work is distracting as the narration, and there's nothing notable about what Bruno is doing.)

Stan - (Good intentions but earnest to a fault as a film. I actually don't think Stan is even bad, he just is working with such an overly forced script he can make up for its weaknesses.)

Cranston - (He's not bad all the time, but whenever he becomes a goofy villain he gets horribly hammy, very horribly hammy. This just overplaying every bit of it. There's other moments where he's fine, but he also suffers from the film having no idea what to do with his character.)

Matt Mustin said...

Is anybody else getting the feeling that Breaking Bad was the only great performance Bryan Cranston had in him?

Matt Mustin said...

Either that or he just really, really needs to step back and look at the projects he's taking.

Calvin Law said...

Matt: I had a funny situation where I watched Breaking Bad way after the rest of you guys, and so it was a reverse - I was like, he’s good but why does everyone hold him in such high esteem and then WOW.

Guess I need to check that Eisenberg film.

Calvin Law said...

Louis: It should never have had to come to that, but if Netflix had campaigned Lindo in supporting (category fraud I know but no worse than some of the examples this year, especially since it is an ensemble film for a while), would he have gotten in, or do you feel like the industry was going to snub him for whatever reason (it is still very baffling to me).

Calvin Law said...

And your thoughts on the costume design for Sylvie’s Love (actually my win for the year).

Luke Higham said...

You're missing Alec Guinness.

Louis Morgan said...

Calvin:

Hard to say because the film bottomed out anyways, beyond the random score nom, so it feels like they just weren't feeling the film in general. Hate that it sunk Lindo, though I have to wonder how many voters turned off the film after Norm Lewis's STUPID over the top, and totally out of place death scene. I just say that, because it seems like anyone who watched past that point would have to at least put Lindo in their top five, and maybe he could've been sabotaged by something like that. Supporting though would've been easier (because lead was STACKED), but I think the trend simply was against the film, so he could've easily still missed.

The costume design is wonderful in being that period chic in the best ways. This basically looking as designer and pretty as possible in several different settings and ways. Just lovely work across the board. Just every one of Thompson's costumes are eye catching in some way and just beautifully pop so to speak. I have to say, I wish the film's script was better because the general idea, and aesthetic are rather wonderful.

Louis Morgan said...

Luke:

And that's why I hate such lists. I won't be re-posting a new one.

Shaggy Rogers said...

Maybe in the future 2020 review Delroy or Mads will take Anthony out of the position.

Louis Morgan said...

Shaggy:

Nope, not even a slight chance.

Matt Mustin said...

I was pretty sure Hopkins was gonna be my winner after just the first scene, and he only got better.

Anonymous said...

Matt: Bryan Cranston did win a second tony for an acclaimed role. But other than that....

Anonymous said...

Oh and he was also good as Hal in Malcom in the Middle

Shaggy Rogers said...

Louis remember NEVER SAY "NEVER"

Matt Mustin said...

Shaggy: Make your own ranking dude, Jesus Christ. You can put whoever you want as your own winner.

Louis Morgan said...

Shaggy:

Watched The Father three times now, and my appreciation for Hopkins only grows on each re-watch. He's made it in my top ten leading actor performances of all time, without hesitation, so I will say NEVER quite emphatically.

Matt Mustin said...

Unknown: But was he actually that great in Network or did he just win because it was him playing that role? I don't know, maybe he was amazing, but he doesn't seem right for that part to me.

Matt Mustin said...

Louis: Man, how could you handle it 3 times?

Anonymous said...

He got pretty universal acclaim, but I haven't seen the play so I can't say personally

Matt Mustin said...

Also, suggestions

Laurie/Whishaw
Dennehy
Mendelsohn
Crowe
Rylance

Ira said...

Louis: If I haven't exhausted you on your opinions already, could you tell me your best and worst supporting actress wins

Bryan L. said...

Michael: I AM NOT WORTHY!

As for Supporting...aahhhh...the ones that’s been suggested several times, I suppose.

Louis Morgan said...

Matt:

A healthy dose of my favorite sitcom episodes put directly in my bloodstream, immediately after each viewing.

Matthew Montada said...

Louis: now that you said that about Hopkins, what would be your updated top 10 lead actor performances of all time. Maybe throw in your choices for Lead Actress, Supporting Actor, and Supporting Actress while you’re at it?

Bryan L. said...

Louis: Your 1960s cast & director for Sylvie’s Choice.

Matt Mustin said...

These are a lot of big questions at once, guys.

Luke Higham said...

Yeah, can we save these for the next post. I'm dying to know what the Supporting lineup is.

Calvin Law said...

With my first first watch of The Father, even with the technical issues I faced I thought Hopkins was extraordinary, but with the rewatch I have to say I have to agree with everyone that it is, indeed, an all-timer.

Agreed on how the general passion for Da 5 Bloods just wasn't there. I mainly say Supporting because Netflix managed to get two nominations in each of Lead Actor, Lead Actress, and Supporting Actress, so I feel like it would've been entirely possible too for Supporting Actor especially considering (all in retrospect of course) that none of the Chicago 7 gents besides Cohen made an impression on awards season. It would've been a shame if that was the case because the scene right after that Norm Lewis death scene is one of the film's best.

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

Eh, a little deflated that Mikkelsen isn't 2nd, but Lindo's performance is phenomenal without a doubt.

Lucas Saavedra said...

Brian Dennehy
Hugh Laurie and Ben Whishaw
Nicholas Hoult
Ben Mendelsohn
Bo Burnham

Emi Grant said...

Rylance
Mendelsohn
Burnham
Laurie/Whishaw
Crowe in Kelly Gang (if he's still saved. I genuinely don't remember)

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

I'm all for a review of Bo Larsen's work in Another Round, although I think Louis gave his thoughts on all the men in Mikkelsen's review.

Anonymous said...

Emi: Louis did not save Crowe. He gave him a 4. My suggestions for supporting are the same as Luke.

Omar Franini said...

Dennehy
Hoult
Laurie
Rylance
Schuch (Berlin Alexanderplatz)

Anonymous said...

Louis: What is your reasoning for Clarke peters being co-lead in da 5 bloods?