Friday 26 March 2021

Alternate Best Actor 2020: Dev Patel in The Personal History of David Copperfield

Dev Patel did not receive an Oscar nomination, despite being nominated for a Golden Globe, for portraying the titular character of The Personal History of David Copperfield. 

The Personal History of David Copperfield is a wonderful Dickens adaptation of one of his landmark novels, naturally about the coming of age of a young Englishman.

I must say I always appreciate when an actor turns a corner. Dev Patel has become one such actor. I will say I wasn't particularly impressed for the early portion of his career, where I thought he was an over accentuating actor, to say the least, but it seems with perhaps slightly aging up, and finding a bit more measure in his performances, he's maybe turned that corner. I will say actually that Dev Patel is tasked with a tough challenge in itself which is playing the non-Ebenezer Scrooge, Dickens protagonist who are typically the least interesting characters filled with works of various vibrant characters. Patel here really is surprising, because this isn't even entirely unlike earlier Patel characters, that as the very enthusiastic protagonist, however, here he moderates his work beautifully. This as he has a genuine charisma here that he balances well this in creating the downtrodden but positively inclined David Copperfield, aka the typical Dickens protagonist. Patel is able to capture the essential balance for this kind of role to be everything the role needs to be while also being interesting himself. This as we see early on we get this combination within Patel's work, which is between honest strife but also equally earnest enthusiasm. This in a scene of the adult David lashing out at his cold stepfather, Patel manages to just bluntly and effectively hit the cathartic moment of being fed up with his cruelty, while modulating it just enough that he doesn't come off as too much either. 

There's a real energy here, that again wasn't always my favorite Patel thing before, yet here he uses it so well in making David an entertaining and engaging protagonist. It has to be said Patel just wields it so well and is able to emphasize the good nature of the character that simply feels just right, never too much. I love the moments of as we see him meet up with his extended family including his Aunt (Tilda Swinton) and her cousin Mr. Dick (Hugh Laurie). The enthusiasm Patel brings is truly catching as his smiles just show a young man with only the best intentions as he tries to fend off donkeys or tries to alleviate Mr. Dick's very unusual habit of having his head filled with the thoughts of the late King Charles. Patel is wholly endearing in presenting this really heroic manner in a way that never feels forced or contrived. It rather creates so much of the fun in so many of these moments by making the nature of the man feel so honest. Patel adding to that by how energetic he is once again, and just never really leaves any scene to be ruined. I think the important part here, and why I like Patel so much more here than his earlier eager turns, is he knows when to act out and to be quiet honestly. In his reactions he nicely tempers himself, and brings the right kind of sense of consideration to David carefully taking in the thoughts of others, just as he also takes his personal actions now and again. He makes the Dickens hero work properly as his own man as this kind of facilitator and friend to the eccentrics. 

I think that in itself could only go so far perhaps but Patel nicely reacts within the film and never is truly overshadowed as the usual Dickens protagonist is. This is where it is really quite splendid to see the sense of fun Patel brings to the role as David tries to find his place. The little moments he brings of David imitating the other characters, which Patel excels with every time and grants a bit of a riff to the role that makes him a bit more active in a rather special way. It allows for another kind of angle within his performance that keeps David consistently interesting, and a bit less of a wallflower type so to speak. With this though we also have his journey where he's good in showing the way David is pulled in some wrong directions within the peer pressure of snobs. Patel is good in managing within his reactions to show the frustrations in this. The moments of allowing himself to fall into error, even if he creates still the right shades of sympathy still. This in very much earning lashing out towards the particularly miserable snobs, particularly the obnoxious James Steerforth (perhaps one of the punchable characters of all time) or just the miserable Uriah Heep (Ben Whishaw). Patel's work carries the film very much being part of every scenario. This with that enthusiasm but as much that sort of very specific anger. I especially love the exact delivery of Patel as he quietly yet intensely threatens the creepy Heep after the latter makes some abhorrent suggestions. 

Patel makes the most out of each and every challenge that is of David, which is to go through a lot, with an utmost consistency. Naturally the Dickens protagonist needs to go through a few things. The naturally dueling romantic possibilities. The first in the flighty Dora Spenlow, where Patel brings a genuine warmth though with a specific kind of awkwardness as the two get along yet just don't quite seem to fit. This against his moments with Agnes Wickfield, where is he is the proper comedic fool of creating a natural chemistry while also a proper foolish lack of awareness. This sweetly building their eventual romance, albeit delayed, in their interactions that are wonderfully almost, yet not quite there. The Dickens protagonist must equally go through a combination of advancement while also being a bit downtrodden still. Patel as this active narrating protagonist is just always an endearing one to follow through his journeys. This in that ever infectious energy that he manages to keep consistent throughout the film. And of course you have the Dickens "action" hero which usually consists of running to get someone from somewhere, and confront a corrupt man with some kind of truth. Patel earning these climaxes in showing the boy coming to his own confidence and building to the man now actualized. It seems that Patel has turned a leaf here, as he's just on here, for a lack of a better description. He enlivens every moment of the film all the more, and makes his Copperfield one worth rooting for.

40 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw your top 10 best sitcom performances ( highly agree about David Hyde Pierce I absolutely love him on Frasier and on Broadway more recently) and noticed they were mostly male.

What is your top 10 female sitcom performances?

Louis Morgan said...

Unknown:

That is likely due to the Sitcoms I have seen, though I do like Kaitlin Olson (It's Always Sunny), Jessica Walter (Arrested Development), Audrey Meadows (The Honeymooners) and of course Julia Louis-Dreyfus (Seinfeld), quite a lot.

Mitchell Murray said...

Haven't seen this yet, but "Lion" was enough for me to warm up to Patel, so I'm glad that didn't appear to be a one off.

On a more random note, I'm almost finished the original "Naruto" series (for better and worse, I suppose), and I'm planning to start "Soul Eater" in the next couple weeks.

Calvin Law said...

Fantastic performance, particularly his impressions bits. So looking forward to his performance in The Green Knight.

I’ve been watching Invincible and it’s actually pretty awesome.

Anonymous said...

RIP Jessica Walter. She was the best part of Archer and Arrested Development

I agree with all your picks and I also enjoy Bebe Neuwirth in Cheers, Jane Krakowski in 30 Rock, and Jane Kaczmarek in Malcom in the Middle

If you like Julia you should watch Veep. She gives an absolutely incredible performance cementing her as the greatest comedic actress of her era.

Also what are your favorite sitcoms that you've watched?
Mine Are:
1. Seinfeld
2. Frasier
3. 30 Rock
4. It's Always Sunny
5.The Larry Sanders Show

Michael Patison said...

Calvin: Really looking forward to watching Invincible. Probably going to do so after I finish rewatching the current season I'm on of Doctor Who.

Robert MacFarlane said...

He was good I guess. I kind of disliked the movie overall, but I do admit he did a fine job filling in the blanks of a normally bland protagonist in most adaptations. I just *really* did not like the tone of the film. Consider me far more of an Emma fan in terms of British period costume dramedies this year.

Michael Patison said...

Unknown: Limiting it so sitcoms complicates matters for me, but in no particular order (as I think they're all brilliant):
30 Rock
Parks and Recreation
Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Ted Lasso
Derry Girls
Frasier
Catastrophe
Lovesick (originally Scrotal Recall)
Modern Family (overstays its welcome, but really excellent in the early seasons)

Other non-sitcoms with comedic overtones I love:
Sex Education
Russian Doll
The Orville (starts off very slowly, but has developed into quite the impressive little pastiche, with solid comedy and surprising depth)
Chuck (not a huge fan of the ending, but thoroughly enjoy the rest)

If You Want the Gravy said...

Huge fan of this film and his performance. Hope you cover Hugh Laurie in Supporting.

Calvin Law said...

Wish this film was a bigger success overall. We need more colourblind casting in period dramas. And yeah Laurie gives the funniest performance of the year in my books.

Michael Patison said...

Robert: I'd to agree on the film. I admired its ambition, but ultimately found it lacking. I've always found Dickens far more suited to a mini-series format anyway, and the approach Iannucci took here, just doesn't ultimately work for me here. The frame narrative in particular I find to really hinder the impact of the story. It made the entire film feel detached to me and the pace was so rapid in order to touch on the whole novel that most of the emotional impact was lost in transitions.

The performances are uniformly great. Patel is a high 4/low 4.5 for me and Laurie is a solid 4.5 with most other major parts on 4s.

The best Dickens adaptation for me is still the 2000s Bleak House miniseries.

As for Emma, I certainly enjoyed it more than Copperfield, but I also found it lacking. That said, it's always been low on my list of favorite Austen's. I really wish they'd make a major version of Persuasion.

Matt Mustin said...

Laurie's requested, he'll be reviewed no matter what.

Unknown: Favourite sitcoms-
-Seinfeld
-Frasier
-Community
-MASH (I almost don't even want to call it a sitcom, though)
-The Drew Carey Show (up to a point)
-Modern Family (up to a point)


I like 30 Rock, Parks and Rec and Arrested Development a lot too, but I haven't seen enough to call them favourites quite yet, although they're borderline, especially Arrested Development.

Anonymous said...

Michael Patison:

What do you think Sense and Sensibility(1995)? Outside of Hugh Grant ( who is still fine) I find it to be a pretty perfect adaptation. Thompson really deserved that screenplay oscar.

Also 1995 also had a really good Persuasion film ( which I think is Austen's best book )

Michael Patison said...

Unknown: I adore the 95 Sense and Sensibility. As far as I'm concerned, every aspect of it is perfect, especially Thompson's adaptation. I'd consider it one of the best of any adaptations of anything ever, as it improves upon most every aspect of the actual novel.

I've seen a bit of the 95 Persuasion, but didn't find the casting to be particularly good.

Anonymous said...

Matt Mustin:

I loved Arrested Development season 1-3 but unfortunately season 4, the season 4 remix, and season 5 are not nearly as good.

Parks and Rec remains decent quality though I do think season 7 was unnecessary.

I'm huge fan of 30 Rock and while the shows never again reached the near perfect heights of season 2-3 it maintains a superb quality throughout especially in season 7 with a perfect, very original finale.

Anonymous said...

Michael Patison:

I'm glad I found someone who loves that movie as much as I do. Everyone looks at me like I'm crazy when I say it should have beat Braveheart.

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

Michael: Really glad to see someone else here who loves Sex Education, great show.

For my favourite sitcoms:

Blackadder
Community
It's Always Sunny in Philadelphia
Arrested Development
Brooklyn Nine-Nine
Schitt's Creek (haven't finished the final season yet, but I love it)
How I Met Your Mother
Mind Your Language
The Fresh Prince of Bel-Air
Modern Family (was great till season 5)

Calvin Law said...

Well put me in the minority because I thought the framing device was the highlight of the film, frankly makes many other non-Christmas Carol Dickens adaptations pale in comparison for me.

Robert MacFarlane said...

As for the sitcom discussion: Community has basically become my all-time favorite show after three run-throughs, excluding the 4th season. Even season 5 and especially 6 deserve more credit. Gillian Jacobs is in my top 10 favorite TV performances because she had to adapt the most to how they changed Britta more than any other character and nailed every single beat. Season 6 Britta is fucking gold.

Aidan Pittman said...

I'll admit that while I still liked the film a good deal, it just didn't hit home for me as I had hoped. If anything I thought the screenplay was the big issue with how much it was trying to cram in which I think left a lot of areas feeling underdeveloped, especially with how fast the pacing was. I'd disagree with Robert though as I thought the tone was spot on. Also loved the costumes/production design also, and the score was just so wonderful. The cast was certainly great also (wholly agree with Calvin in that the colorblind casting was terrific), Patel included, and I'm definitely looking forward to Laurie's review. I just think it was a rewrite away from being great, but I still think it's good.

Anonymous said...

Robert MacFarlane:

How do you feel about Britta? I was surprise that she turned from the smart,"cool" female lead to the punching bag, joke character of the series. I think Gillian Jacobs was very good but I feel like this new direction with Britta was too limiting and almost kind of mean.

Robert MacFarlane said...

Unknown: If anything I found her the most relatable to me personally because of that. My entire personality in high school was trying too hard to fit in and having a group of friends who really didn’t respect me. It’s okay to have a character that the others disrespect. Given that the entire group is shown to have a toxic love-hate dynamic, it makes sense for one to fit that bill. The way Jacobs plays Britta alleviates the mean-spiritedness by allowing pathos. She adds small doses of hurt to the way characters insult her.

Anonymous said...

Robert MacFarlane:
I guess I can understand your points, I do think it can be interesting but it's probably the shift from her original personality than is kind of off-putting to me.

Though inconsistency is something that is not as bad in Community as it would be it most other shows

Anonymous said...

Louis: Your thoughts on the production and costume design of Days of Heaven.

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

Community probably has my all-time favourite ensemble in a TV show, right next to Breaking Bad. It helps that it's endlessly rewatchable like very few others are.

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

Luke: What's the presumptive lineup for supporting?

Luke Higham said...

Louis: Thank you for the review. Can't wait for his Green Knight performance. :)

Tahmeed:
Laurie/Whishaw
Rylance
Mendelsohn (I think he'll win this lineup)
Hoult/Crowe
Dennehy

Luke Higham said...

Louis: Any rating changes.

Anonymous said...

Really interested about hoult's review because his performance seems to be divisive with the members of this blog.

Tim said...

As for Sitcoms/Comedy Shows, i do not watch a lot (as i don't watch a lot of shows in general)

Some that i like:
Scrubs
Friends
Malcolm in the Middle
The Orville
How I met Your Mother (still disappointed they never made a final episode ...)



R.I.P. Larry McMurtry

Anonymous said...

Ratings and thoughts on:

Gabrielle Graham, Sean Bean and Tuppence Middleton in Possessor
The cast of the Kid Detective and The Man Standing Next

Anonymous said...

Louis: Cn you edit the first line? It should say:
Dev Patel was not nominated for an Oscar despite being nominated for a golden globe.

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

I'd love it if Louis decided to do a write-up of Burnham's work in PYW, as his deconstruction of an unfortunately common person today (a seemingly sympathetic "ally") is something that really stayed with me.

Robert MacFarlane said...

Burnham is my #3 and totally deserves a review. (Also, I wish Louis saved Hodge)

Emi Grant said...

Again, as a huge fan of Burnham and his comedic origins, I'm really glad the majority of the blog has really taken well to his performance. I myself find his role to leave the strongest impact on the writing itself, but he's still a solid 4 for me, and I'm not opposed to him getting a review at all.

Calvin Law said...

I’ve got to say Burnham as Larry Bird in the upcoming 80s Lakers series is inspired casting.

Luke Higham said...

Louis: I can't recall if you've given thoughts on it already but what did you think of the production design, costume design and screenplay.

Anonymous said...

I watched hunchback of Notre dame for the first time and with the exception of one song (will not mention it as it is really obvious) really loved it. It was a amazing Disney movie with mostly amazing songs, a likable antagonist and, oh yeah, one of the greatest Disney villains ever.
Hulce: 4
Moore: 4
Jay: 5
Kline: 3
Kandel: 3
Kimbrough, alexander and Wickes: 3
Stiers: 3

Anonymous said...

That was supposed to say likable protagonist. Whoops.

Louis Morgan said...

Anonymous:

The production design is so much in the house alone in the field, that is a stunning, even perhaps icon work all by itself. This as it creates such a remarkable juxtaposition of man on nature. The rest of the work is striking if purposefully muted as this lived in quality of the various quarters, or even their makeshift river boats.

The costumes are beautiful low key work. This in they are very telling of the characters with how lived in and rough most are, against the one wealthy man that is different within that. The work itself is vibrant with a muted authenticity.

Anonymous:

I didn't give my thoughts on those three, because their turns were not memorable. They're fine though.

Brody - 4(A good sort of hapless performance by him. This as he manages to play the comedy remarkably well. This as he never goes too broad or too small honestly. He finds the ridiculousness of the kid detective as an adult, but he also finds the kind of somber qualities of the man in such a situation. It is a well balanced performance that really facilitates so many of the moments in terms of the jokes. Whether it be his proud "yes' at beating up a kid to feel big or his awkwardness of trying to hide in a closet as a man. He still though manages to naturally find the sadness of the man who essentially never quite grew up beyond his past, mostly for worse.)

Nelisse - 2.5(Leaves a bit to be desired. So much of the character really needed to be in the performance but it's not.)

MacNeill - 3.5(A nice balance of things is all I will say, as I think the film is quite worth watching.)

Crewson & Whittaker - 3(Enjoyed both of them as just the loving if somewhat concerned parents.)

Lee Sung-min - 3.5(Good in balancing kind of the politicians grace while also seeing where the good man might've fallen and the bad man might've risen as well. He plays on both sides effectively to kind of create the right tension in itself of to kill or not to kill in a certain sense.)

Kwak - 3.5(Great in his last scene entirely in making that scene quite haunting in a whole lot of ways. The rest of the time he is just good in playing the part with almost a kind of Falstaffy style to him. This as a man kind of owning his behaviors in the way others do not, and alluding to the great flaws within the system they are working in.)

Lee - 4.5(I mean once again a volcanic performance in sort of the literal metaphorical sense. This as Lee's working is all about that final outburst and building to it. He doesn't it brilliantly once again. This as he is still captivating in creating the very quiet and internalized conflict of the man divided by friendship and what he believes. This until his explosion that is just amazing work by Lee as to be expected. No one quite has a standout scene like him, and once again when he fully unleashes it is something rather stunning.)

Anonymous:

No because you didn't say the magic word.

Luke:

Not sure.