Sunday 8 August 2010

Best Supporting Actor 1979: Results

5. Melvyn Douglas in Being There- Melvyn Douglas is not bad ever in Being There but he never really does anything in the film. He has some nice talks and he plays the part as it should be but his character really requires nothing of him.
4. Mickey Rooney in The Black Stallion- Mickey Rooney is a very nice presence in this film. He plays a standard mentor/teacher role much better actually than he needed to. I like how he stayed quiet and just was a good part of the film.

3. Frederic Forrest in The Rose- Forrest is very good here and adds a lot to the film. I like how he underplays his role and shows a realistic portrait of a man who has gotten in a relationship with a women he cannot fully understand.

2. Justin Henry in Kramer Vs. Kramer-  He is always real and seems really like a kid in this situation not some false movie kid. It's an important role for the film and Henry is completely up to his task.
1. Robert Duvall in Apocalypse Now- Robert Duvall takes a risky approach to an odd ball of a character and his risk completely pays off. Duvall is perfect as Col. Killgore. He some how never seems false in a role of pure insanity. He is excellent because he makes Kilgore the most fascinating part of Apocalypse Now despite the shortness of his part. Robert Duvall therefore joins Laurence Olivier, Rod Stieger and Walter Huston as actors with two wins from me.

9 comments:

joe burns said...

Thought so!


What's next?

Louis Morgan said...

I have not decided yet. I certainly am open to suggestions.

dinasztie said...

Great job. I saw this coming. :)

I would suggest 1948 Supp Actor, but I won't be able to see the results until next Monday. So I suggest that it should be the next one after the next year. LOL

Louis Morgan said...

Thanks. And I'll think about that one for when you come back.

joe burns said...

Do Best Actor 1961!

Louis Morgan said...

I would Joe, but I can't find and do not have The Mark.

Anonymous said...

I really can't decide between Fredric and Justin...

Michael Patison said...

What are your thoughts on alternate performances here? I love Breaking Away and especially liked Paul Dooley as the father and Dennis Quaid as Mike. I also thought Dennis Hopper might be deserving as the American photojournalist (or maybe just photographer) in Apocalypse Now. The only issue there is that the photographer was either stated to be high or was clearly so, something that Hopper would have had little to no problem doing.

RatedRStar said...

for Iconicness, Marlon Brando and Frederic Forrest stand out for me from Apocalypse Now.