Saturday 28 January 2023

Best Supporting Actor 2022: Results

5. Judd Hirsch in The Fabelmans - Being five in this lineup is no dishonor. This is a proper definition of a "one scene wonder" though he technically has four scenes, as he comes in, makes his incredible impact and leaves an impression you won't forget. 

Best Scene: Art/Family
4. Brian Tyree Henry in Causeway - Henry gives such a  sensitive and very naturalistic portrayal of a man trying his best to live with grief. 

Best Scene: Describing the crash.
3. Barry Keoghan in The Banshees of Inisherin - Keoghan goes out on a limb successfully realizing the broken state of his character, however doing so with humor and a great deal of humanity. 

Best Scene: "That's the meanest thing I ever heard"
2. Brendan Gleeson in The Banshees of Inisherin - Although I'll freely admit it is silly to call an Oscar nominated performance underrated, I still can't help but say it, only because the praise for him just has gotten a little lost at times between the other great performances in his film and those in his category. This is an outstanding performance by Gleeson who realizing with such complexity, humanity and also humor a man truly struggling with how to deal with his depression. I love everything about this performance that quietly eats at you long after you watch it. 

Best Scene:  "For a bit of peace, Siobhan."
1. Ke Huy Quan in Everything Everywhere All At Once - Good predictions Ytrewq, Lucas, Robert, RatedRStar, Calvin and Bryan. Closer than some might think, though it is a Tony Leung evocation that really made all the difference, because I want to emphasize that I adore Gleeson's work through and through. Quan though gives a masterful turn here, giving three distinct and wholly successful performances. One as a dashing badass, one as a suave romantic and of course as one of the most lovable cinematic characters I've seen in some time. And yes, for me this is the greatest supporting actor lineup we've ever had. 

Best Scene: A plea for love. 

23 comments:

Robert MacFarlane said...

Wait, I predicted this order too. Did my comment get deleted?

Lucas Saavedra said...

Louis: I also predicted this order but my comment must have gotten deleted

Anonymous said...

Louis: what would your combined ranking between this year's and last year's Supporting Actor nominees look like?

Aidan Pittman said...

Louis: Would you consider this the Academy's greatest supporting actor lineup ever?

Calvin Law said...

Lovely stuff. Seems like all five gents here will make the top 10.

My request is for Jenny the donkey...kidding, I'll give it some time to stew, but really...what are your thoughts on Jenny the donkey.

Louis Morgan said...

Robert & Lucas:

No but they were sent to spam...for whatever reason. They have been restored.

Anonymous:

Quan
Gleeson
Keoghan
Smit-McPhee
Henry
Hirsch
Hinds
Kotsur
Plemons
Simmons

Mitchell Murray said...

I'll admit, Hirsch and Keoghan were slightly higher than I would've guessed, but I still have no real complaints about this outstanding line up. With the exceptions of 2018 and 2021, the past five years of supporting actor have been a consistent trove of great nominated performances. I likewise admire the reemerging trend of having two nominees for the same film; sometimes it's really that close between a Harrelson and Rockwell, a Pacino and a Pesci, or a Gleeson and Keoghan in this case. I'll try and find a way to watch both "Causeway" and "The Fabelmans" in time, as it would seem to be a disservice to those two nominees.

Here's hoping such quality work continues to be recognized.

Louis Morgan said...

Calvin:

I mean big time diva apparently, but such an essential supporting performer. In that you just inherently get that bond just from the cute nature of donkey, and the way Farrell interacts with her (more on that sooner than later). And I'll say, now having watched the film a third time, the saddest cinematic *you know what* of 2022 for me. And I fear that some think it isn't that sad, and that's where I fear it may have all gone wrong.

Robert MacFarlane said...

This is going to be the only year I can think of where 4/5 of the actual nominees are in my own lineup, so I think I agree.

Mitchell Murray said...

Oh, and as to Calvin's comment...Jenny is indeed adorable and I can understand why the internet is apparently going nuts for her.

Not enough people are talking about Colm's dog, though - beautiful Border Collie.

Anonymous said...

Prediction for the overall top 10

1. Quan
2. Gleeson
3. Dano - Fabelmans
4. Keoghan
5. Schuch
6. Henry
7. Hoult
8. Hirsch
9. Rylance
10. Redmayne/Bennett

Calvin Law said...

Louis: Agreed on all fronts. I was saying this earlier but I think McDonagh's way of using animals remidnedme a lot of how Jarmusch uses Marvin in Paterson.

And on a similar note...your thoughts on ol' Racacoonie?

Calvin Law said...

Mitchell: Colm's Border Collie is beautiful and also, has one of my favourite reaction shots in the entire film.

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

Have to say, good on the Academy for recognizing 5 brilliant performances - although I still wish it was Dano instead of Hirsch, hard to begrudge the latter when he was *just* outside my own top 5.

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

Louis: Your thoughts on Bob from A Streetcat Named Bob?

Emi Grant said...

Damn, I knew I should've gone with Quan instead. Gotta say, I did not expect the multiple pictures for him. I might have to rewatch EEAAO, since the review makes me think I might've taken some aspects of his performance for granted.

Also, I second Tahmeed's thoughts on Dano. Would've been fun to see where he would've placed here.

Luke Higham said...

Incredible lineup.

Anonymous said...

Luke, your rating predictions for Best Actor.

Luke Higham said...

1. Farrell (5)
2. Nighy (5)
3. Mescal (5)
4. Fraser (4.5/5)
5. Butler (4.5)

Perfectionist said...

Glad to see Quan winning it. Like I mentioned, his performance has a place in my all time favorite performances list. I am lowkey hoping, Yeoh takes over Blanchett as well.

Oliver Menard said...

I could've seen this lineup going either way. Happy to see Quan taking. Quan vs. Dano should interesting for the overall.

Louis Morgan said...

Calvin:

Oh I love Racacoonie, particularly the how clunky of an effect he technically is, is part of his charm. Though I think pacing wise they might spend too much time with it near the end, the whole take down scene with happiness I think just has one too many beats, and while none are really bad, there's just too many total in my view.

Tahmeed:

Raw and real work to the very core, you could tell that, was a cat named Bob in every second of the work played by himself.

Duncan D said...

1. Bill Nighy
2. Colin Farrell
3. Paul Mescal
4. Brendan Fraser
5. Austin Butler