Thursday 29 September 2011

Best Supporting Actor 1980: Results

5. Judd Hirsch in Ordinary People- Hirsch is fine in his performance of the psychiatrist who helps Timothy Hutton's character with his problem, but he never becomes more than just fine.
4. Michael O'Keefe in The Great Santini- O'Keefe has some good moments, and his relationship with Robert Duvall's character is well realized, but when the part demands more O'Keefe shows some inexperience.
3. Jason Robards in Melvin and Howard- Robards gives a very short performance by a very interesting one. He makes his Howard Hughes a fascinating enigma of a man that I actually would have liked to see more of.
2. Timothy Hutton in Ordinary People- Hutton although really is lead in his film, that does not make this win any less deserving. Hutton is amazing from beginning to end in the film. It is fascinating how fully he realizes Conrad as a character, and the fact that he never, not even for a moment, fails to bring absolutely authentic emotions to the part despite the enormous changes Conrad goes through and Hutton must show during the film.
1. Joe Pesci in Raging Bull- Joe Pesci really gives the best supporting performance this year. Pesci's performance is a great performance that works wonder with his co-star Robert De Niro, fully realizing the two characters' relationship.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to see Hutton pull it out. I don't remember Pesci leaving much of an impression, but I really need to rewatch Raging Bull.

dinasztie said...

This was my original prediction and then I changed it. I'm so stupid. But I'm very satisfied. :)

Anonymous said...

Yes! He had to win! I personally think Pesci was really annoying (same thing for De Niro and the film!).

Anonymous said...

Sorry to keep saying it Louis, but can you do 1992 next, or atleast when you revisit the 90s again.

Fritz said...

Hutton was really outstanding! I'm very happy he is your choice!

dshultz said...

Good year. Can you do 2004 or 2007 next?

Anonymous said...

I'm hoping for either 1956, 1999, or 2009

Louis Morgan said...

Anonymous2: 92 will be soon, just not next

dhultz: Next one will be one of those two.

Anonymous: 56 is one of the few years which will have to wait, because I will probably have to special order the Bold and the Brave, otherwise I will try to get the other two sometime soon.

Michael Patison said...

If you haven't seen it, I would recommend Breaker Morant. It's a great courtroom drama, and the lawyer in the film, Jack Thompson, gives a great supporting performance.