Friday 26 August 2011

Best Actor 1978: Results

5. Warren Beatty in Heaven Can Wait- Beatty does not give the most complicated performance in this film, but it is a properly charming, romantic, and sometimes funny performance.
4. Laurence Olivier in The Boys From Brazil- Olivier is in an odd film, and in some ways follow suit with his performance, but still he gives a entertaining performance as well as one with some power when it is required for the part.
3. Gary Busey in The Buddy Holly Story- Gary Busey gives an effective performance as Buddy Holly. He brings the appropriate life to his character, without ever forcing a needless impersonation, instead appropriately personifying the character particularly in his scenes where he is performing Holly's songs.
2. Jon Voight in Coming Home- Voight's performance is a strong one throughout the film showing a slow change over time of his character who slowly finds ways to deal with the pain he has suffered. It is in many ways a low key performance, that realistically portrays the troubles of his character.
1. Robert De Niro in The Deer Hunter- Although I think Voight's work is quite strong, for me De Niro stands out as the best of the year with the incredible challenge he in portraying the rather withdrawn character he must portray. De Niro realistically portrays this introverted characterization in subtle fashion, that never fails to bring out the power of any scene in the film that requires it. De Niro simply is great throughout and is absolutely amazing in so many moments such as the Russian Roulette scenes.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, I disagree but at least Voight came in second, I guess I should watch The Deer Hunter again because I wasn't really impressed by any aspect of the film, and De Niro's performance is not an exception.

Anonymous said...

The right guy won. Great job

joe burns said...

Was it a solid race between them?

Fritz said...

I think I would have picked Voight but I can't complain since DeNiro is outstanding, too.

RatedRStar said...

1966 will be a lot worse than 1978 I think, I have a feeling Mcqueen will be last

dinasztie said...

Well, I can't complain about this decision.

Louis Morgan said...

Joe: Although I liked Voight a great deal it was fairly easy for me to pick De Niro in the end.

dshultz said...

De, De, De-Ni-ROOOOO! Huzzah! Can you do 1966 next? I've been waiting for a while for that.

Anonymous said...

since when has Gary Busey get nominated for an oscar? What happened to him?