Wednesday, 9 September 2026

Alternate Best Actor 1990: Tim Robbins in Jacob's Ladder

Tim Robbins did not receive an Oscar nomination for portraying Jacob "Professor" Singer in Jacob’s Ladder.

Jacob’s Ladder follows a former Vietnam vet as he is beset with disturbing visions while living in New York. 

Tim Robbins plays the titular Jacob where we enter the film seeming at the point in any Vietnam war film where things are about to go horribly wrong, which is when everyone has a good time. Robbins portrays largely a sense of camaraderie albeit briefly before all hell breaks loose and everyone seems brutally injured including Jacob himself, where Robbins provides immediate contrast from the warmth of the men joking with one another to viscerally seething pain of Jacob on the ground. We quickly cut to the future where Jacob is alone on a NYC subway and we begin to follow the path of the film. Robbins frequently is very much the average man in this situation and it is not a surprise that Frank Darabont wanted to cast Robbins for The Shawshank Redemption based on this film. Where Shawshank dealt with the immediate real horror of living in prison for a crime you did not commit, this film deals seemingly with something more existential, however in both Robbins’s work excels in offering an essential anchor of humanity. Robbins is the emotional guide for the film, something that is immediately tested when the tired man coming home from work is struck by seemingly a strange growth coming out of another subway passenger before seeing haunting images within the subway after he escapes the situation. Robbins importantly grounds these horrors which will be throughout the film through creating the progression of the situation as we see in his reactions, the first just considerable unease that jumps to more overt horror, but still as a man who thinks he just might be seeing something. 

Although not all seems to be going poorly for Jacob as he seems in a rather steamy relationship with a woman Jezzie (Elizabeth Peña), who seems to want to soothe Jacob. And for this moment it seems normal enough of a loving couple and I’d say it is important that Robbins brings this sense of normalcy in these moments as though Jacob is just living his life. There’s almost an immediate complication when shown a picture of his old family that died in the war. Robbins is truly great in the moment of looking at the picture and talking about them because almost instantly he brings such a strong sense of both the grief of their loss but also the comfort in their loss. His reaction isn’t just sadness, there's a palatable sense of love in every word of his delivery and his eyes. This makes the immediacy in which Jezzie decides to incinerate the picture more than a little questionable though she claims she essentially doesn’t like things that make him sad. We then follow Jacob as he tries to exist with a certain strangeness to everything, even seeing his chiropractor Louie (Danny Aiello) while friendly and warm seems almost a bit too ethereal. Although Jacob should wish for the ethereal back specialist when he begins to see one strange sight after another in the streets. In each instance Robbins’s performance captures the sheer intensity of the sights and the immediacy of their horror. 

The film then progresses in a state of insanity essentially as we suddenly shift between disparate elements. Occasionally we will have Jezzie concerned about Jacob, another she’s dancing with a literal demon, we will suddenly be in the memory of his old comforting home life with his deceased family, before being back to the horror. The sort of through line within this is Jacob’s character believing he and his other fellow survivors were part of some sort of government experiment that has left them broken. Robbins to his credit manages to weave all of this together to a core of a convincing performance where he embodies a distinct human element that could’ve been lost if we did not believe Jacob as a person going through all this above all else. Robbins brings a differentiation between moments of the more subtle horror where he finds this seething anxiety within his expression, that in a way seems the most terrifying. Robbins finds that sense in his reactions of just not feeling right like when he finds that his old mental health doctor apparently died in an explosion. Contrasting that though he is as believable in his bigger, but earned, reactions to the more overt horror by matching that more overt horror in his eyes as a man who has seen such strange terrible things. Yet he succeeds in being just the believable man suffering potentially from PTSD in the scenes with Jezzie at home where he brings a quieter vulnerability, or the moments with the old family where Robbins is quite moving in creating the real sense of warmth in those scenes. 

The film becomes a build then in overt horror and the intensity behind the trauma, the conspiracy and the horror. Where Robbins is effective in going from 10 to 11 as Jacob begins to fully lose it, sometimes with just a convincing frustration such as when he demands to know why his lawyer (George Costanza) has decided to drop the case to investigate the government, or eventually the truly petrifying fear when a hospital visit becomes seemingly a literal descent into hell. Robbins brings throughout that sequence, Rock Hudson in Seconds, a raw rush of rabid emotions that become all the more intense within the state of being held in place in his horror. Where Robbins elevates the imagery by matching the horror of it with his own expressions of a man going through this place. Robbins earns the growing tension up till a point of someone totally lost and in turn providing true relief when it seems like he saved by Louie who tells him he must spoilers accept his own death in order to escape the demons. I would say this whole aspect of the film is probably where Robbins is most essential as the imagery could carry much but there needs to be something genuine in the acceptance of death. Robbins delivers on this while also not seeming to light comparatively. In the scene where he climbs the titular ladder with his deceased son, Robbins has a deft touch in realizing the combination of sorrow and sincerity. Robbins shows the grief of all that is lost including himself as he speaks to his son, yet this is naturally softened where Robbins portrays the real connection and warmth within the relationship with his son. Robbins earns the moment of solace and turning a theoretical horror ending into something a bit more hopeful. 

47 comments:

Anonymous said...

Louis: thoughts on the rest of the cast?

Matt Mustin said...

He's absolutely great and I would say THE most essential element in making the film as effective as it is.

Robert MacFarlane said...

Louis: I know you’re not a fan of Dylan McDermott’s film work, but have you ever seen anything from The Practice? I started watching it (yeah, I know it’s a weird show to binge nowadays), and he’s actually pretty great in it.

Calvin Law said...

'George Costanza' yeah that took me out the film a bit. I didn't quite like it as much as you guys but I more or less agree on Robbins here, who is indeed a rock solid lead.

Calvin Law said...

Also loved Pruitt Taylor Vince's short bit, now there's someone who I wish would get more big roles these days.

Luke Higham said...

Louis: Trust is 1991 by your rules. I listed Donovan for that year while making the list.

Shaggy Rogers said...

Louis: Tell me your ranking of the films directed by Adrian Lyne.

Shaggy Rogers said...

Hey guys!
Tell us your ranks of 1990 nominees in each category:

Song
1. "Blaze of Glory" - Young Guns II
2. "Somewhere in My Memory" - Home Alone
3. "I'm Checkin' Out" - Postcards From the Edge
4. "Promise Me You'll Remember" - The Godfather Part III
5. "Sooner or Later (I Always Get My Man)" - Dick Tracy

Original Score
1. Home Alone
2. Avalon
3. Ghost
4. Dances With Wolves
5. Havana

Sound Mixing
1. The Hunt For Red October
2. Total Recall
3. Dances With Wolves
4. Days of Thunder
5. Dick Tracy

Sound Editing
1. The Hunt For Red October
2. Total Recall
3. Flatliners

Editing
1. Goodfellas
2. Ghost
3. The Godfather Part III
4. The Hunt For Red October
5. Dances With Wolves

Makeup and Hairstyling
1. Edward Scissorhands
2. Dick Tracy
3. Cyrano de Bergerac

Costume
1. Hamlet
2. Avalon
3. Cyrano de Bergerac
4. Dick Tracy
5. Dances With Wolves

Production Design
1. Hamlet
2. Dick Tracy
3. The Godfather Part III
4. Cyrano de Bergerac
5. Dances With Wolves

Cinematography
1. Dick Tracy
2. The Godfather Part III
3. Dances With Wolves
4. Avalon
5. Henry & June

Foreign Language Film
1. Ju Dou (China)
2. Cyrano de Bergerac (France)
3. Journey of Hope (Switzerland)
4. The Nasty Girl (Germany)
5. Open Doors (Italy)

Adapted Screenplay
1. Goodfellas
2. Reversal of Fortune
3. The Grifters
4. Dances With Wolves
5. Awakenings

Original Screenplay
1. Metropolitan
2. Ghost
3. Avalon
4. Alice
5. Green Card

Supporting Actress
1. Lorraine Bracco
2. Diane Ladd
3. Whoopi Goldberg
4. Annette Bening
5. Mary McDonnell

Supporting Actor
1. Joe Pesci
2. Bruce Davison
3. Al Pacino
4. Graham Greene
5. Andy Garcia

Lead Actress
1. Kathy Bates
2. Anjelica Huston
3. Julia Roberts
4. Meryl Streep
5. Joanne Woodward

Lead Actor
1. Jeremy Irons
2. Richard Harris
3. Gerard Depardieu
4. Robert De Niro
5. Kevin Costner

Director
1. Martin Scorsese
2. Stephen Frears
3. Francis Ford Coppola
4. Barbet Schroeder
5. Kevin Costner

Picture
1. Goodfellas
2. Ghost
3. The Godfather Part III
4. Dances With Wolves
5. Awakenings

And what are your ranks?

Harris Marlowe said...

I asked you to elaborate partly because a one-word answer seemed atypical, but perhaps I should approach what I'm trying to get at differently. Put simply, what do you enjoy the most about writing about cinema?

Perfectionist said...

So it appears, The Uprising missed it's mark. I was kinda anticipating a 3rd 5 for Andrew Garfield.

Calvin Law said...

Louis: thoughts on the All of a Sudden trailer? Looks gorgeous.

Nameless said...

I lurk here occasionally, but it's a bit unclear to me - does he keep track of films he plans to watch for each bonus round other than Luke's lists? Kinda surprised Trust being a '91 film escaped notice.

Anonymous said...

Given that it wasn't on Luke's 1990 list, I mean.

Tim said...

Shaggy:

Sound Editing:
2) Total Recall
1) The Hunt for the Red October

Sound Mixing:
3) Dances With Wolves
2) Total Recall
1) The Hunt for the Red October

Make-Up:
2) Cyrano de Bergerac
1) Edward Scissorhands

Costumes:
2) Dances With Wolves
1) Cyrano de Bergerac

Production Design:
3) Dances With Wolves
2) The Godfather Part 3
1) Cyrano de Bergerac

yeah, no, we're skipping song

Score:
3) Ghost
2) Dances With Wolves
1) Home Alone
Should have been Danny Elfman's

Editing:
5) The Godfather Part 3
4) Dances With Wolves
3) Ghost
2) The Hunt for the red October
1) Goodfellas

Cinematography:
2) Dances With Wolves
1) The Godfather Part 3

Adapted Screenplay:
5) The Grifters
4) Reversal of Fortune
3) Awakenings
2) Dances With Wolves
1) Goodfellas

Original Screenplay:
2) Alice
1) Ghost

Supporting Actress:
4) Annette Bening
3) Mary McDonnell
2) Whoopi Goldberg
1) Lorraine Bracco

Supporting Actor:
3) Andy Garcia
2) Graham Greene
1) Joe Pesci

Lead Actress:
3) Angelica Huston
2) Julia Roberts
1) Kathy Bates

Lead Actor:
4) Kevin Costner
3) Robert De Niro
2) Gerard Depardieu
1) Jeremy Irons
(though 1 and 2 are about equal, neither love nor hate either)

Director:
5) Stephen Frears
4) Reversal of Fortune
3) Kevin Costner
2) Francis Ford Coppola
1) Martin Scorsese
They could have put Jerry Zucker and Rob Reiner here, and yet they made their choice


Picture:
5) Awakenings
4) Dances With Wolves
3) Ghost
2) The Godfather Part 3
1) Goodfellas

Tim said...

and the best film of this year is still Misery

Louis Morgan said...

Anonymous:

Peña - 4(Thought she was fairly effective in creating a complexity within what exactly was the real nature of her character. As there are moments where she does bring warmth and seemingly the devotion of a loving partner. She’s effective though in suddenly shifting towards this more lustful edge but is just as convincing in showing the frustrations of a partner who has had enough. The darker glint moments as well as essentially the supernatural moments also could’ve potentially been silly however I think she nicely downplays them as something more unnerving as a quiet “natural” part of who she is.)

Aiello - 3.5(Brings frankly a relieving warmth in his scenes as a stark contrast to the intensity and darkness of so much. Aiello just played this comforting frankly angelic sincerity with a straight-foward effective quality. To the point one would hope Aiello would comfort you in such a desperate situation as Aiello brings a nice warmth that feels of the earth but with just enough twinge of an emphasis that he might be imparting divine wisdom.)

Vince - 3.5(The fellow vet that stands out the most even though his bit is relatively brief he brings such a palatable sense of the character’s anguish. Vince doesn’t portray it with any notion of being in a horror film rather just the quiet painful reality of a man suffering through life with that all the more painful notion in his eyes of a man truly looking for answers to the questions that haunt him.)

Kalember & Culkin - 3(Both deliver on just a comforting normalcy and that’s all they really need to deliver on.)

Craven - 3(Brings an effective enough quiet intensity of the conspiracy so to speak in his relatively brief bit.)

The rest of the vets - 3(Although good in just bringing that initial warmth together and then just being all broken in their own ways later on.)

Alexander - 2(Honestly he’s very much an Aaron Paul or, to an extent, Jeremy Strong where the long form television approach is very much his friend as a performer. He’s pretty overcooked in most films I’ve seen him in, here included as just every line is at a 10 the whole time and feels too much even within his brief role.)

Nameless:

I will reference Luke’s list but also explore films not included on it that I have interest in. I usually check the imdb release date info but didn’t on that one. It happens.

Robert:

I haven’t though that maybe that connects to my comments on Alexander where some actors just are better suited to television.

Shaggy:


1. Jacob’s Ladder
2. Unfaithful
3. Fatal Attraction
4. Deep Water (though definitely his most entertaining film)
5. Lolita

Calvin:

Looks very much like a Hamaguchi film, and in turn is quite beautiful to look at and will be very emotionally intimate. My initial impression was that it was one long conversation, though it is clearly more expansive but I’m certainly interested.

Louis Morgan said...

Harris:

I took no offense to asking for a followup. I enjoy writing about films because I enjoy film, simple but true. It is also largely an outlet to express my feelings about all types of films, where away from here I do get to talk about some films, but here I can write about and discuss all films.

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

Louis: Bit of a thought I had the other day: do you think there's a separation between a great film that you can pretty much watch in any circumstance (say, Back to the Future), versus a work that is also great but also requires a specific head space to fully appreciate? Like is that a distinction for you whenever you think of your all-time favorites?

Bryan L. said...

Everyone: Is it just me or did anyone find out about the existence of Practical Magic (1998) only recently? Despite having two (2) major stars, I only first heard about it after the release of the recent sequel.

Emi Grant said...

Bryan: I had never heard of it prior to today.

This is also how I learned that *Griffin Dunne* directed movies.

Bryan L. said...

Emi: It must have a pretty big cult fanbase for it get a sequel today, since it wasn’t a big money-maker back in ‘98. Even then, I still can’t believe it flew under my radar for so long.

Tim said...

Bryan: yup, never once heard of it

Luke Higham said...

Seems like the kind of film my sister would've gone gaga over if she knew of its existence back then.

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

Bryan: Also hadn't heard of it until I found about the sequel.

Louis Morgan said...

Tahmeed:

I would say no I don't really consider it as a major judgment factor for me. I think probably the ideal matchup with this idea is 93 with Jurassic Park and Schindler's List, literally the same filmmaker in the same year. Schindler's List is unquestionably my #1 that year, however I've seen Schindler's List 4 times and I've lost count how many times I've seen Jurassic Park. Jurassic Park is the "easier" watch and very entertaining, however I do think that Schindler, when I want to take that journey, is an even more gripping one. Because I'd never casually watch Schindler, jump in 20 minutes in etc, doesn't make it less of an experience, rather it speaks to the power of the film that I would never want to lightly approach it.

Bryan:

Falls into a "saw the poster at the video store" movie. Certainly surprised by the sequel given it was not a big hit in the 90's budget being considered, although hey they managed to lower the budget, inflation being considered.

Shaggy Rogers said...

RIP Jeremy Thomas

Perfectionist said...

On the contrary to you guys, I watched "Practical Magic" once as young as 8 or 9 years old, with my mother 😂😂. I remember being entranced by Sandra Bullock, and that's before I even knew who Sandra Bullock was. In fact I only found out recently that those ladies were Sandra Bullock and Nicole Kidman.

Razor said...

Perfectionist: From the little I've seen, 90's Sandra Bullock is just wonderful. Maybe I should find time to watch the movie lol.

Harris Marlowe said...

Other than what you've already mentioned, how much of your enjoyment of writing comes from the aesthetic crafting of the reviews, by which I mean things like the prosody, structure, etc.?

Matt Mustin said...

Spider-Man Brand New Day cast ratings:
Holland-4.5
Zendaya-3.5
Sink-3
Batalon-3.5
Bernthal-4
Pugh-3
Tillman-2.5(Literally a lamer version of what he does on Severance)
Tomei-3(She's fine, but doesn't have the same impact as Cliff Robertson in Spider-Man 2, which is very much what they were going for)
Ruffalo-3.5(I just really love him in this role)
Mando-2.5
Colón-Zayas-3.5


Lucas Saavedra said...

Louis: How do you think Sam Rockwell would have done as Dr. Robby from The Pitt?

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

Louis: Who are some actors that you like that you feel are "under-reviewed" on the blog? Could be actors who you're yet to review, or also ones you wish you had the chance to cover more.

Robert MacFarlane said...

Lucas: You really lose the everyman quality with that casting.

Anonymous said...

Rhea Seehorn is finally an Emmy winner.

Emi Grant said...

Very happy with Seehorn's and Gilligan's wins tonight.

Robert MacFarlane said...

Good winners, EXCRUTIATING broadcast. The bits were terrible outside of Mulaney.

Anonymous said...

Everyone: What is your most favorite TV performance of all time, in any category???

Luke Higham said...

Anonymous: Mark Rylance in Wolf Hall

Bryan L. said...

Louis: Your 1950s cast & director for The Odyssey? (In Nolan’s style as much as possible.)

Louis Morgan said...

Lucas:

I imagine he’d probably be a bit more comedic, not that Rockwell can’t do straight drama, he can but I’d think for a series he’d probably want to bring more of his typical energy, which would be different not automatically better or worse though.

Tahmeed:

For the longest time it was Jesse Plemons until Lanthimos rectified that. I was quite annoyed when my only review of him was his Oscar nominated performance.

Bryan:


The Odyssey 1950’s directed by Powell and Pressburger:

Odysseus: Burt Lancaster
Telemachus: Richard Attenborough
Penelope: Deborah Kerr
Circe: Kathleen Byron
Antinous: Christopher Lee
Polybus: Jack Palance
Helen/Clytemnestra: Vivien Leigh
Eumaeus: Roger Livesey
Calypso: Rita Hayworth
Menelaus: George Sanders
Agamemnon: John Huston
Tiresias: John Carradine
Eurylochus: Ernest Borgnine
Sinon: Denholm Elliott
Polyphemus: Boris Karloff

Tim said...

Anonymous: I don't watch as much TV as i probably should and still have some of the big ones left (i for example have never seen a minute of The Sopranos), but as far as i have seen i'd probably say Michael Emerson in Lost

Tim said...

now where the fuck does that come from?

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

Louis: If possible, could you consider turning off anonymous comments for a while?

Louis Morgan said...

Tahmeed:

Yeah I will.

Luke Higham said...

Louis: Just for reassurance, did you manage to watch Korczak. Ok.ru, at least on mobile devices tends to freeze often.

Maria said...

Tim Robbins really carries the film with how naturally he moves between confusion, fear, grief, and quieter moments of vulnerability. I especially like the point about his reactions grounding the surreal horror, because without that believable human perspective, many of the film’s disturbing images wouldn’t have the same impact. His final scenes with his son are also incredibly effective in balancing sorrow with a sense of peace. OnlySpins can be a nice place to unwind after revisiting such an intense film.

emil said...

The Academy Award for Best Actor is one of the best-known honors in cinema. It has been presented since the first Academy Awards in 1929, when Emil Jannings received the award. The category recognizes outstanding performances in leading roles. nine casino