Wednesday 2 March 2022

Alternate Best Actor 2021: Peter Dinklage in Cyrano

Peter Dinklage did not receive an Oscar nomination, despite being nominated for a Critics Choice and a Golden Globe, for portraying Cyrano de Bergerac in Cyrano.
 
While I still await the definitive version of Cyrano, this is a superior entry into the mix, benefiting greatly from having an actually likable Roxanne (Haley Bennett) and Christian (Kelvin Harrison Jr.)'s for once. 

This version of Cyrano de Bergerac is both working within the type of the character and offering a bit of a revision. Peter Dinklage playing the role is already part of the revision as his stature acts as a point of modesty rather than the typical feature of Cyrano, the elongated nose. Where the similarity remains is making Cyrano the larger-than-life warrior-poet who enters this version, as he does all traditional versions, by threatening a stage actor for his poor performance and demanding that his bad acting stop immediately. Dinklage having really what is an essential facet of a Cyrano, which is a booming and naturally commanding voice. Dinklage's baritone cuts through the scene with him able to make these outrageous demands and threats with ease. Dinklage performs the scene, I think properly, by not sounding the temper tantrum, but rather making it this broad gesture of a rather purposefully theatrical man. Just his voice making that loud and notable impression, before of course appearing here, and being perhaps subverting the expectation of who one would immediately think of as a warrior poet. The idea though isn't broken from the theoretical revelation, after all, most of us know what Peter Dinklage looks like, but rather asks Dinklage to stand tall even when being the literal shortest person in the room. 

Peter Dinklage has done this before of course as Tyrion in Game of Thrones, however, that was a very different character in terms of personality there could be a perceived similarity where both have a cutting wit and playing into the very act of wearing what was perceived as his flaws as his badge of honor. And I'll admit I came into this performance a bit concerned that this would be largely a reprise of that performance, however that is not the case. Dinklage here actually plays the part, outside of the self-insulting song, as though he merely were the romantic lead with the tragic flaw that he firmly believes that Roxanne will reject his love. In turn Dinklage brandishes his performance here in a way that is quite effective in terms of merely making Cyrano the larger than life presence who wants everyone to notice his brilliance and see his bravado for what it is. Dinklage delivers that sort of overt romanticism effectively with the manner very much pushed forward by his want to show off. When even he's fighting or speaking, it is with this broader grandeur that Dinklage brings and very much portrays his Cyrano as very much a showoff. Although I'm not sure he completely fulfills the Peacemaker requirement for showing off, Dinklage isn't too far off, pulling off the showoff brand by just doing it with enough genuine gusto to pull it off. 

Dinklage hits the right note to be endearing in his over the top sort of presence, that doesn't literally go over the top in his performance, by showing this certain sense of joy in Cyrano himself as he does play it up for the crowd and acts as the warrior poet for all to see. When he rhymes his take down of one, sings another, then battles a whole group, Dinklage portrays each moment with this sort of blunt enjoyment at the prospect of the challenge and the man who loves the challenges that are presented to him in this very romantic way for the traditional hero. Dinklage offers the important contrast though in his scenes where Cyrano isn't in front of a crowd as a more gracious and quieter man. He brings a greater modesty to his performance even before we get into his point of personal weakness. In his more interpersonal scenes with Roxanne early on, where she intends to tell her of her great love, which he misinterprets will be for him, Dinklage is terrific in the run around of emotions as Roxanne speaks to him. Dinklage portraying just this barely contained joy as she seems to be praising him and revealing her love to him, until she finally reaches that she doesn't know the man's name, and Dinklage does a great portrayal of a man's face falling in his eyes even as he tries to maintain the smile otherwise would be too revealing of his truth. 

Cyrano is instead tasked with trying to protect and guide who she has fallen in love with on sight, Christian, on wooing Roxanne, to the point he starts writing for the young man who is less artful with his words. And here's where we really reveal his great weakness, which Dinklage actually portrays a little differently from other Cyrano's which is an interesting choice. There is the sense of frustration, really even the way he seems to crush his mouth to keep it closed, as the man who needs to hold his breath or at least believes that he must lest he speak his love for all to hear. Dinklage brings the sense of vulnerability when just scoffing at the idea of Roxanne possibly loving him, and presents this is a dismissal with almost too much ease. When more internalized though Dinklage conveys a greater pain in the state, and in his eyes, and being conveys the frustration and anxiety as his own words convinces the woman he loves to love someone else. Dinklage is moving in presenting this consistent frustration, even as he presents still just the confidence of the romantic to Christian as though he is doing it just for the sake of it. Dinklage though brings the right sense of heartache, though there is something more, which in a way might be the most interesting aspect of this performance, and Dinklage's take on Cyrano. 

Of course before I get to that, let's mention the songs, which are not the strongest aspect of the film though there are some good ones in there, and even a great one, though that one barely involves the principal cast. Dinklage unfortunately honestly has to carry some of the weaker ones, though not the weakest, and that's where I'll say while I like the romantic spirited way he delivers the songs, none of them stand out within his performance. He certainly puts his heart into them, but his best moments here honestly are outside of when he is singing even if he does acquit himself more than decently in that aspect of the film. But back to the most interesting element of the performance which perhaps begins to reveal itself when Christian figures out the situation, in what is really the most heartbreaking scene in the film due to Harrison's portrayal of a man basically realizing the only love in his life has been a false one yet still wants Cyrano to find his. Harrison's portrayal of this near despairing mania, though still this purity of passion bringing such poignancy to this revelation. Dinklage in this scene though is very effective in doing two things. One showing the reaction of despair and anxiety at seeing Christian become distraught and really suicidal, offering the right powerful sense of empathy and even burden at his brother in arms' despair. The other though is portraying this fixation on the idea of his love as something he writes about and dreams about yet will not experience. And that is what Dinklage presents Cyrano's love as, as in a way something that he must hide because to make it real would diminish it in some way. 
 
This idea is further emphasized by the final scene of the film where the dying Cyrano is basically pushed by Roxanne to admit his love for her yet he still refuses to do so. In these scenes Dinklage is at his best in the film in creating this sort of insular affection, of the man who holds the idea of love too preciously that he can't quite even let himself fully experience it. Even in his final words, changed to speaking not of his love to Roxanne but his love for his pride. Dinklage gives a powerful meaning to this in his delivery, as in his final moment portrays he portrays this as a somber admittance, that while he might've loved Roxanne, what he truly loved the idea of loving Roxanne. I love the choice because Dinklage doesn't portray at all joy in Cyrano as Roxanne openly admits her love for him, it is rather this shame in accepting that he could never love Roxanne, not for stature, but rather quite simply it would force a change in the idea of love he has for Roxanne. An idea so fascinating that I actually wish the film had actively explored it even more, though it is certainly explored by Dinklage's more nuanced work. I think that in a way though shows somewhat the weakness here, and my wish, despite loving "Wherever I Fall", is that this had been just a spoken Cyrano and we could've dived even deeper with Dinklage's performance. The songs strangely in a way I think often insist a broader reading that isn't quite what Dinklage seems to be going for. Still it is not as though Dinklage falters within the limits, he just is simply, fittingly I suppose, limited by them. Having said that, this still is a very strong performance within those confines. Not the definitive Cyrano, but a damn good one, showing Dinklage's ability as a leading man, a type of role that I hope he returns to playing very soon.

54 comments:

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

Damn it :( He's a 5 for me, and I'd argue the music didn't hinder him in the slightest, and was essential to the film's success, but I understand your reservations.

Louis: Your thoughts on the following scenes/songs:

"Someone to Say" and its reprise
"Wherever I Fall"/Christian finds out the truth
The Ending

Robert MacFarlane said...

I’m seeing it tomorrow (I think).

Michael McCarthy said...

Welp, down to 14/15 then.

Bryan L. said...

“Wherever I Fall” is a, for lack of a better word, “banger”.

Bryan L. said...

Damn, Dinklage could’ve been a shoo-in if they had released this film properly instead of fudging with the release date. They also nominated in Best Costume Design, so it’s not like the Academy was completely unaware of its existence.

Calvin Law said...

Oh, I couldn't disagree more on the song, which I all loved except for well, de Guiche's.

For me, 'Overcome' is one of the best scenes of the year and his performance of that entire sequence is what really makes the film truly magnificent to me. Nevertheless, glad you liked him and that he got a good rating, and he would've been a much, much better nominee than Bardem of course.

Anonymous said...

>:)

Calvin Law said...

Granted, I think I'm a bit different in that it's the broad gestures of the performance like that sequence which pulled me into his performance and the little details you mentioned are more of fascinating additional bits to his portrayal that I liked. Still, great review and really enjoyed this analysis.

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

What truly cemented this as a great turn for me was the vulnerability he effortlessly weaved within his broader charismatic gestures. Dinklage is obviously terrific at the latter, but that real sense of pain was something I felt I hadn't seen from him since season 4 of Game of Thrones.

But yes, will fully agree, the man needs more leading roles.

Michael McCarthy said...

Wild that if it were not for Game of Thrones, his greatest claim to fame would be “Call me elf ONE more time.”

I will say that out of all the performances I was unsure about at all, this was the one I was most disappointed in not getting a five. I thought he did so well in selling the songs that (I can’t stress enough, were HORRIBLE) as genuine moments in Cyrano’s emotional journey.

Luke Higham said...

Called it. I just just knew that reservation would hinder him in the end.

Marcus said...

It is very surprising to me that Dinklage and Garfield have the same rating for their musical turns this year.

Luke Higham said...

Louis: May I have the rest of your Green Knight thoughts.

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

Marcus: *TFS voice* You said it, not me.

HTT said...

Probably going to watch this soon. It looks really good.

Matt Mustin said...

Haven't seen this but I also agree that Dinklage deserves more leading man roles.

Calvin Law said...

Drive My Car just dropped on HBO Max by the way, for anyone who has that but hasn’t seen it yet.

Razor said...

West Side Story's also out on Disney Plus.

Luke Higham said...

Is anybody seeing The Batman this weekend.

Michael McCarthy said...

Luke: I’m seeing it tomorrow and couldn’t be happier about it.

Calvin Law said...

I’m seeing it Friday.

Robert MacFarlane said...

Not sure if I’m going to be able to see Batman until maybe Monday or so. My newborn nephew is visiting and with the mask mandates gone, I think my sister would prefer I didn't go to a crowded theater while they’re staying.

HTT said...

OK, here's an update on what I've been watching.

For some days ago, I watched The Big Risk, a classic 60's French gangster film. Not a bad movie by any means, because it certainly is well-made, well-acted and well-written, but at the end of the day, it only made want to rewatch Breathless.
7.3/10
Letterboxd review here:
https://letterboxd.com/htt/film/the-big-risk/
Cast ratings:
Lino Ventura: 4/5 (A very nuanced and subtle performance from Ventura here, albeit one that feels a bit muted at times)
Jean-Paul Belmondo: 4/5 (A very charming and consistent performance that reminds me of his performance in Breathless, although, like Ventura's performance, he does feel a bit muted at times)
Cast MVP: Lino Ventura

I also watched Stations Of The Elevated, a lovely avant-garde short film. An absolute feat of experiemental filmmaking, sound design and music.
9.5/10
Letterboxd review here:
https://letterboxd.com/htt/film/stations-of-the-elevated/

I also watched The Green Knight and it seriously is the most I have loved a fantasy film since LOTR. Such an incredibly inventive fantasy film, while also being a deeply nuanced piece of existentialism. Patel's performance is one of the best of the year.
10/10
Letterboxd review here:
https://letterboxd.com/htt/film/the-green-knight/
Cast ratings:
Dev Patel: 5/5 (A beautifully nuanced and frankly perfect portrayal of an incredibly complex character)
Alicia Vikander: 4/5 (She is a bit overshadowed by Patel's towering performance, but she pulls both roles off with ease)
Cast MVP: Dev Patel

I also finally watched All Too Well, the short film by Taylor Swift. I must say, even though I have never been a Swift fan, I am incredibly impressed by both the song and the short film. Amazing work from everyone involved.
9/10
Letterboxd review here:
https://letterboxd.com/htt/film/all-too-well-the-short-film/
Cast ratings:
Sadie Sink and Dylan O'Brien: 4.5/5 (Two strangely belivable performances that surprised me in the best way possible)
Cast MVP: Tie between Sadie Sink and Dylan O'Brien

And finally, I watched Flee. As much as I love The Mitchells Vs. The Machines, I am rooting for this one on Oscar-night. Such a heartbreakingly honest and human film, while also being a strangely magical film. This thing hit me in just the right place. That being said, while this film basically is a 10, I can't say I'm confident saying it's a 10 yet, so I'll leave it on a 9.9 until I give it a rewatch.
9.9/10
Letterboxd review here:
https://letterboxd.com/htt/film/flee-2021/

HTT said...

Louis:
Sometime in the future, do you think you can review Boris Plotnikov's performance in The Ascent? I recently upped him up to a 5 and I would love seeing his performance get some attention.

Bryan L. said...

Luke: I’m most likely seeing it on Thursday.

Calvin Law said...

HTT: I may request him with my next win.

Matthew Brown said...

Peter Dinklage is great and for those who haven't yet checked out Find Me Guilty, he's my MVP of the cast and Supporting Actor winner for 2006.

HTT said...

Calvin: Thanks! Appreciate it. Speaking of Plotnikov, what did you give him?

Louis Morgan said...

Tahmeed:

I think what in a way hurt Dinklage for me in a sense, was on re-watch Harrison left the greatest impact to the point I actually felt he was the most valuable player within the scheme of the film because of just how powerful he is in his final scene. Interestingly I actually found he discovered a greater tragedy in the man who realized that the love he found was false we see in Christian, rather than the man who refused to speak his genuine love in Cyrano.
Something to say reprise for me is the only song other than the best song, you'll find me listening to outside of watching the film. I think part of it honestly goes to Harrison's spirited singing performance and in the song so convincingly creates the sense of the idea of the man who wishes he could say more. For me, this rendition better realizes the whole musical ballad with broadly passionate strokes used in the song, although I do like the first rendition more or less, and certainly nothing against Bennett. I prefer though the song was done in the more grand way of the reprise than the first that takes a more muted sort of approach. 

"Wherever I Fall" is the scene of the film, and though Cyrano is not one of my favorite films of the year, it may be one of my favorite scenes of the year. I mean I love the song itself with the backing of the track being the military drumbeat in contrast to the very soulful passages of each man essentially giving their last letter and last words. The idea of the power of letters is actually greatest in this moment by realizing the poignancy of the men trying to find comfort in their death with the repeated chorus but still haunted by what they left behind in life. Also again Glen Hansard opening the piece didn't hurt the equation, as I particularly loved the musical soulfulness of his delivery for the lack of a better word. 

The ending for me is almost greatness, as I think the lead up is a little rushed, not the final scene itself, but rather just the jump to suddenly being Cyrano at his end, where there's a little more buildup in the play, that I don't think needed to be so bluntly excised. Having said that the conversation and revelation is fantastic through the performances and that change by having Cyrano's moment realization based upon him still loving his pride rather than Roxanne even when she's directly admitting his love to him.

Louis Morgan said...

Luke:

Lowery's direction of the Green Knight is among the most atmospheric of the year, and already knowing the journey I was drawn in even more to the experience of it on re-watch than I was on my initial viewing. What Lowery's tone is I think was particularly essential in crafting this experience as he bothers to ground the story even while crafting a fantasy. His direction throughout is balancing the two, and I think one can apply this one to his use of the crafts that all find this distinct balance between the tangible and intangible. His direction of the scenes though I think has the careful thought between the emotional and the spectacle. He is wise to always pay attention to Patel's performance for example, and through every aspect of the story, he carefully ensures that we know what Gawain is feeling or going through in a different aspect of the journey. There is the powerful mythic tone that I think Lowery has the right degree of playfulness, like the Green Knight himself or the puppet show, while also granting the right gravity to it like the giants or the entirety of Gawain's vision. Speaking of Gawain's vision, that is just flawless visual storytelling by Lowery. You understand every failure of Gawain in this version of his life, and so powerfully, though with the flourishes of style still like the overpowering green near the end of the vision. Every second of the sequence though is both so striking to look at, yet so emotional in showing a man basically wasting his choices in life by being the coward. Lowery's work though is immaculate in the balance between the striking singular images, like the skeleton in the woods, the lake where Winifred's head lies, the entrance of the Knight, but with that intimacy of Gawain still as he enters these grand halls or looks into seeing what his fate may be if he faces the Knight or he does not face him. He weaves the mesmerizing experience that crafts remarkable imagery but with the personal sense of self. Also, this is one where there are just a lot of great touche little touches throughout, my favorite being the tree noises that surround every moment of the titular knight.

The visual effects are extremely well used, even if the CGI of the Giants and of the fox faces just specifically on its own might not be the most technically impressive. Lowery uses the visual extremely well, particularly the supportive visuals to craft moments less based upon the intensity of what is used, rather by how cleverly he uses it. For example, the hand coming over the mountain is such a striking shot, and while the hand isn't technically the greatest visual effect of the year, the way Lowery uses it is brilliant.

Louis Morgan said...

The production design like the costumes is brilliant in that combination between the fantastical and the grounded. The rooms are dynamic in evoking the medieval period however with twists to create this certain distinction. What really needs to be remarked though is the production design of so many of the outdoor scenes, whether it is the remnants of the battle, the Knight's forest, or even the stone ground that leads to the giants.

I have to say it was baffling to me that The Green Knight was snubbed for makeup not just by the Academy but also in its guild and at BAFTA. Like, did they think that is what Ralph Ineson just looks like on an average day? He is simply the artificial design of 2021 as he is so memorable looking in itself but also speaks to the idea of what the green represents in the design itself being so earthly. Although it is worth mentioning the hairstyling that too is extremely memorable, particularly Vikander's second hairstyle and the vision queen's hair.

The Green Knight's screenplay structurally is based upon vignettes, as a fantastical quest typically is, however, I think even with that structure I think Lowery's work isn't detached. He instead manages to find the connection with Gawain's personal quest as much as his physical journey, while also just managing something memorable per an aspect of the quest. That is forgetting the opening and endings, which are more tightly scripted, as intended, and are terrific in terms of setting up the players, setting up Gawain, and most of all setting up either his path to honor and bravery or dishonor and cowardice. What I think is perhaps a bit underrated is the greatness of the dialogue here, that actually manages to craft this kind of digestible dialogue, that manages to be natural and mythic in equal measure, memorable in its grandeur but never so grand to see him intangible. The articulation of the themes is often direct, yet can seem indirect just through the way it is spoken with such mystical importance, which in itself is quite the neat trick within Lowery's screenplay. And while the direction is essential to make certain aspects of the narrative work, particularly the vision, for example, the screenplay itself shouldn't be overlooked in its successful rendition of the text that revises while also being faithful to the legend.

Louis Morgan said...

HTT:

It is certainly a possibility. I quite liked Wings, so I'll certainly be watching Shepitko's film at the very least.

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

Louis: Your interpretation of that stalker character in the Safdie vignette of Licorice Pizza? That final part of the film is the weakest for me personally, although I don't think anything would have been able to match the crescendo the film reaches with Cooper's work.

HTT said...

My Raging Bull review is finally out on both Letterboxd and my blog! I know this one was delayed for some time, but it's finally out. I worked hard on this one, so if someone could give some feedback, it would be appreciated.

Calvin Law said...

I think the stalker was just a member of a rival party looking to find some way to undermine Wachs.

Calvin Law said...

Louis: your thoughts on the 'Overcome' sequence in Cyrano?

Robert MacFarlane said...

Well, I saw it.

Woof.

Robert MacFarlane said...

Dinklage… well, he sells the parts where he’s not flatly singing these horrible ballads. I’m actually surprised at how much I disliked this. Bad songs, bad adaptational choices, barely anyone could sing. Are we sure this is the same man who directed Pride and Prejudice?

Shaggy Rogers said...

Louis: taking advantage of the post tell your ranking of Cyrano de Bergerac's performances.

Louis Morgan said...

Tahmeed:

I took him as a secret spy of some opponent of Wachs to get the dirt on him, hence why they call Alana to create a cover.

Calvin:

Not one of the songs that worked for me, and fell into the "Overcome" category, and the intention I saw, but I didn't feel it succeeded it in this moment of this sort of mutual passion in each. I just never quite connected with it.

Shaggy:

1. Kevin Kline
2. Jose Ferrer
3. Peter Dinklage
4. Steve Martin
5. Gerard Depardieu

Robert MacFarlane said...

Louis: Ah, knew you would be on Team Kline for this.

Michael McCarthy said...

Robert: Honestly yeah on that note, why did ALL of the songs have to be ballads? Like the ratio of ballads to up tempo songs wayyyyy too high. Even Les Mis isn’t that indulgent in that regard, and that at least had talented songwriters.

Louis Morgan said...

*fell into the forgettable category*

Louis Morgan said...

Robert:

Yes with ease for me, though Christopher Plummer apparently played the part in a TV movie version that I'd certainly like to see at some point, seems an ideal role for him.

Robert MacFarlane said...

Louis: Thoughts on Kline and Chris Sarandon in that production?

Tim said...

Your Joe Wright ranking?

Calvin Law said...

I’ve come to the conclusion that I just don’t really know what makes a good musical (granted I have almost no music background) because I enjoyed every song in Cyrano way more than pretty much any other musical from last year.

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

I think tastes in musicals and comedies are more subjective than when it comes to most other genres of films in general, and also pretty volatile at that.

Matt Mustin said...

Louis: Plummer also played the part on Broadway in a musical version, which hw won a Tony. Don't know if that's the same thing or not.

Michael: Les Mis at least has "Master of the House" to add some levity.

Calvin: I think it really just comes down to whether you like the music or not, honestly.

Louis Morgan said...

Robert:

Kline - (Kline is wonderful in every conceivable way that I could conceive in this part. Is her perfectly cast? Yes because Kline's style of performance is ideal for the theatrical Cyrano. Now this is a shot stage adaptation, however Cyrano isn't a character that requires too much adjustment in fact as the stage show it translates well even if just filmed as this one is. Kline in turn brings all the expected bravado and gusto to the part. His Cyrano owns the entire stage, and really the screen in equal measure. His powers of performance here used to such eloquent perfection really as he does command as Cyrano should, but also is genuinely hilarious here throughout. His timing is flawless here as every bit of humor that can be derived from the text he does so with such ease and is such a joy to watch him just play around, as Cyrano should play around with everyone who he views as a fool to him. He even though has fun in making the ruse and even in a lot scenes of saying one thing while saying another, Kline just is pitch perfect. He is by far the funniest Cyrano, however that alone is not what makes this such a great performance. It also has to be said that Kline has an extra difficulty by working with Jennifer Garner's performance that is unbelievably bad, however the fact that he still makes the scenes with her work despite her giving what would be a bad high school performance. What is incredible about Kline's work because as much as he owns the bigger aspects of the performance he does bring that genuine pathos and vulnerability still in Cyrano. Conveying even within the stage setting still the right quieter and subtle elements needed for the part to show the weak fearful "ugly" man within the larger than life warrior poet. Such as the moment thinking of the possibility of Roxanne loving him and Kline fills with this near boyish excitement before switching to a respectful focus to his believed duty. His performance of Cyrano's final moments being especially heartbreaking by showing what becomes the mix of the man failing to admit to his love while also flailing about trying to hold onto his glories, finding the painful mix of the greatness and failure of Cyrano in his dying breath.)

Sarandon - (I mean also perfectly cast as few play pompous better than Sarandon. De Guiche by nature is a little bit of thankless part, however Sarandon manages to make some impact at least thanks to his innate presence and just bringing that aggressive smugness quite well. He also offers a genuine opponent for Kline by being able to match his grandeur in his performance in their major theoretical confrontation scene. There Sarandon does get to stretch his acting muscles a bit more and doesn't waste them, using his voice well which has that proper indulgence of a man almost proud of his foolishness and cowardice. He offers a proper opponent for Kline in that moment by providing a proper blustering fool. He is also good in De Guiche's extra scene of suggesting the better man at the end of the piece, strange exclusion in this new version in fact making a character *less* complex in adaptation is very strange indeed, and is actually kind of moving showing De Guiche's begrudging concern and respect for Cyrano in the end.)

Tim:

1. Pride & Prejudice
2. Cyrano
3. Hanna
4. Atonement
5. Darkest Hour
6. Anna Karenina
7. The Woman in the Window

Decidedly not my director.

Matt:

Not sure, unfortunately from my cursory look I could find little on the tv movie other than it supposedly exists.

Michael McCarthy said...

Matt: Yeah I had the exact same thought.

Tim said...

be thankful that you haven't seen Pan

Aidan Pittman said...

Finally watched West Side Story and, yeah, that's terrific. Don't really have anything to say that hasn't been said already, but I will join the rest in saying it's just great stuff.

Zegler - 5
Elgort - 2.5
DeBose - 5
Faist - 5
Alvarez - 4.5
Moreno - 4
Rivera - 3.5

Robert MacFarlane said...

As for the question on what makes a good musical film, I think one thing I’ve come to is whether you ask yourself “wait, why are they singing here?” Obviously not a fool-proof rule, but whereas I never questioned it with West Side Story or In the Heights, I constantly questioned it with Cyrano and Dear Evan Hansen. It comes down to direction, I think. The second Hayley Bennett started singing, I asked “Wait, THAT’S how they’re doing the opening number?”