Friday 11 March 2011

Best Supporting Actor 1994: Results

5. Chazz Palminteri in Bullets Over Broadway- Palminteri plays his role straight as the play writing gangster, and just as it should be played.

4. Paul Scofield in Quiz Show- Scofield gives a quiet dignified performance that effectively places the emphasis on the underlying warmth of his character.

3. Gary Sinise in Forrest Gump- Sinise finds the right balance within the film's tone. Although held back by it to a degree, Sinise never underwhelms within those limitations.

2. Samuel L. Jackson in Pulp Fiction- Jackson works well with John Travolta to create a some very iconic moments. More importantly Jackson has a strong presence throughout the film, and makes a believable and effective transition from a man of violence to a man of peace.

1. Martin Landau in Ed Wood- This actually is a pretty good supporting year. The Palminteri, Sinise, and Scofield are all good in their own ways, Jackson is great and would have been a deserving winner in many other years, but Landau still stands high above the rest. His portrayal of Bela Lugosi is just astounding from beginning to end. It is a sad poignant performance, but also an incredibly entertaining performance. It is a true embodiment of Lugosi, which is simply a pleasure to behold.

Deserving Performances:
Open to suggestions

11 comments:

mrripley said...

john turturro - quiz show.

Louis Morgan said...

I thought Turturro overacted a bit.

Anonymous said...

Good job again.

I couldn't think of any good supporting actor performances from that year.

Mythical Monkey said...

I think your assessment of the nominees is right on the money.

Some other possible nominees might include Ian Hart in Backbeat, Bob Gunton in The Shawshank Redemption and Jim Broadbent in Bullets Over Broadway, but I'd still say Martin Landau and Samuel L. Jackson were head-and-shoulders the best of the year.

Louis Morgan said...

Sage: Thanks Sage.

Mythical: I'm glad we agree. I have not watched Backbeat, Broadbent's performance is enjoyable but I do not think I would put him over Palminteri. Bob Gunton actually was pretty good, and he probably would have been deserving of a nomination.

Mythical Monkey said...

Well, I don't know that any of the others I mentioned would knock out any of the actual nominees -- but it was a pretty deep field for supporting actors in 1994, I think.

dinasztie said...

I loved Landau so I'm quite satisfied.

dshultz said...

Gary Oldman, Leon. No one can make ham fisting as authentic as he can.

Michael Patison said...

I think that James Whitmore was deserving for The Shawshank Redemption (Gunton too). For me Whitmore gave the most emotional (in his case heartbreaking) performance of the film. I also like 4 Weddings and a Funeral, though I know you're probably going to rip it apart. I do like some of the performances, though. John Hannah's performance, particularly his scene reading the poem at the funeral is so touching and beautiful, a nice break from the reckless abandon of the rest of the film. The rest of his performance is fun. Simon Callow's performance is quite fun too.

Louis Morgan said...

I thought Whitmore was good, but I did not think he was amazing. I have not seen the Four Weddings and a Funeral in a long time, and I would say I need a re-watch. From what I recall though Callow did not make much of an impression, I thought Hannah's speech was handled but otherwise than that I do not remember him making much of an impression otherwise.

Anonymous said...

My votes are:
1. Martin Landau for Ed Wood. My score: 5 out of 5.
2. Samuel L. Jackson for Pulp Fiction. My score: 4.5 out of 5.
3. Gary Sinise for Forrest Gump. My score: 3.5 out of 5.
4. Chazz Palminteri for Bullets Over Broadway. My score: 3 out of 5.
5. Paul Scofield for Quiz Show. My score: 3 out of 5.