5. Michael Caine in The Quiet American- Michael Caine gives an effective performance portraying a good mix of cynicism with care. It never is amazing work, but it is consistently good.
4. Daniel Day-Lewis in Gangs of New York- Day-Lewis although portraying an extremely flamboyant character, manages to stay just in the bounds of his character, without seeming to be too obvious in his acting, with this Day-Lewis creates a rather effective villain.
3. Nicolas Cage in Adaptation- Nicolas Cage as the twin brothers in this film gives an extremely enjoyable, as well as effective performance. Having the right joy, and entertaining quality with one brother, well finding the right pathos with the other. It is a great mix.
2. Jack Nicholson in About Schmidt- Nicholson channels a completely different side of himself
here, more than any other performance, it a rather humorous, as well
powerfully heartbreaking performance as well.
1. Adrien Brody in The Pianist- A simple yet brilliant performance by
Adrien Brody, that stressed naturalism over everything else. He makes
the troubled journey of the man, a real one, as well as a heartbreaking,
and very powerful one.