Wednesday, 23 March 2011

Best Actor 1961: Results

5. Charles Boyer in Fanny- Boyer is fine enough but his role is too small and simple for him to accomplish all that much.
4. Spencer Tracy in Judgment At Nuremberg- Tracy is functionally fine in the part, but fails to really find any real depth in his underwritten part.
3. Maximilian Schell in Judgment At Nuremberg- Schell's performance is ACTING most certianly, he does not have too much of a character, but he is an energetic and effective presence in the film.
2. Paul Newman in The Hustler- An absolutely terrific performance, where Newman really creates a fascinating original character in Fast Eddie Felson. Newman never goes the easy way with his character, always going for instead a complex and creative character.
1. Stuart Whitman in The Mark- This one was extremely close for me, and much harder to choose than I expected it to be, before I watched the Mark. Whitman though completely threw me off with his extremely powerful complex performance of a deeply troubled man trying to change his life. I will say I do not think Whitman is better Newman, they are both equally great, but the nature of the award is choosing one, and for the moment I will choose Whitman. This is a year though where I am sure my choice could easily go back forth, because both create such memorable and powerful portraits of two incredibly unique characters.
Deserving Performances:
Open to Suggestions.

7 comments:

dshultz said...

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!! NEWMAN!!!!!!
Oh well.
Now I really have to see "The Mark".

Oh, you should do 1980 Best Actor for your next year.

Sage Slowdive said...

Yes It will be extremely hard to pick.

dshultz said...

Sage: by "It", do you mean the contestants of 1980?

dinasztie said...

Wow, this year seems to be interesting. I knew after a while that Whitman would win but I haven't seen him, he must be fantastic. Do you have a link to the movie, possibly?

Fritz said...

I haven't seen Whitman but it sounds surely interesting!

Louis Morgan said...

Dinasztie:No, I rented the Dvd.

Anonymous said...

Interesting choice. I haven't seen The Mark and Newman is my current choice, so I guess I'll to find a way to see Whitman. How do you feel about Mastroianni in La dolce vita or Gable in The Misfits as alternates?