Thursday, 13 January 2011

Best Actor 1954: Humphrey Bogart in The Caine Mutiny

Humphrey Bogart received his third and final Oscar nomination for portraying Lt. Commander Philip Queeg in The Caine Mutiny.

The Caine Mutiny is not a particularly good film, although I felt it had some good moments here and there. One problem is the actual lead (Not Bogart) is insanely dull, there is one of the most tacked on love stories ever, and the message of the message of the movie is so confused I doubt the filmmakers knew what they were trying to say.

Humphrey Bogart really is a supporting player as the Captain of the World War II ship the Caine. He shows up and instantly everyone seems to be off put by him, and he himself seems very much upset.  Queeg is portrayed as a fairly incompetent Captain actually, and attempts to be a controlling although not cruel captain. He tries to attempt to keep a regular order. Bogart lacks command in his performance, which makes sense. He is properly pathetic I suppose as no one listens to him, he fails to command any respect. I suppose Bogart is fine as being the Captain without respect, and I will say does have one very good scene showing the sadness, and nervousness of the Captain well.  That is when he pleads with his crew to help him out, but the Captain receives no words of help of comfort. I think Bogart shows the Captain sadness, and paranoid history well here in this one scene.

Most of the time though Bogart is only just fine, in the role never all that amazing. I feel he fulfills the needs of the role, but most of the time does only just that. He never adds more to Queeg developing a really interesting portrait of the man who is on the end of the rope rather just a suitable one. He is more than just suitable in a few moments like the scene stated early. Bogart also handles his scene where he freezes up fairly well as well. Bogart shows Queeg nervousness once again in this moment fairly well. Than after the mutiny he has one scene his one big court room sequence. His disintegration is well handled in this scene, as he breaks down once again. Bogart's performance is not amazing most of the time, but I do feel he shines when he needs to.

3 comments:

Sage Slowdive said...

Never saw this one, mostly because I avoid Bogart.

Louis Morgan said...

Yeah that's understandable, I myself could not stand him when I first began watching his movies. I gotta say though that he has grown a little on me since then.

dinasztie said...

I have nothing against Bogart.