5. Gary Cooper in Sergeant York- Cooper gives a particularly dull performance that never really goes anywhere special.
4. Robert Montgomery in Here Comes Mr. Jordan- He's okay but he never does anything that special role, and just is a nice but average performance.
3. Cary Grant in Penny Serenade- Grant partially gives his usual routine
which is effective, but in the second half of the film he gives
something much more than that.
2. Orson Welles in Citizen Kane- Welles gives an iconic performance, and
despite some slightly dull and overly theatrical moments, Welles still
gives very interesting portrait of a man through his entire life.
1. Walter Huston in The Devil and Daniel Webster- I was tempted to go with Grant but that was possibly partially because I chose Huston in my last year, but Huston's performance is too good for me not to pick. I could watch his performance over and over, his devil is one memorable performance.