Wednesday, 2 September 2026

Alternate Best Actor 1990: Jacky Cheung & Tony Leung in Bullet in the Head

Jacky Cheung and Tony Leung did not receive Oscar nominations for portraying Fai Jai “Frank” and Ah Bee “Ben” respectively in Bullet in the Head. 

Bullet in the Head is an over the top action movie combined with a technically a war epic as we follow a group of friends from Hong Kong who decide to make their fortune by going to Vietnam during the Vietnam war. 

The film opens with a combination between the youthful joys of playing around, music, possible romance and gang violence. We are introduced to the three friends including the great Tony Leung as the romantic of the group, Ben, who seems potentially as the leader, followed by Jacky Cheung’s Frank as slightly more seeming wildcard in the character’s particular exuberance towards life, and Little Wing aka Sau ming aka Paul played by Waise Lee who begins seemingly is happy just to hang out with his friends. The initial scenes are effective in establishing the camaraderie between the three guys who are in the state between childhood and adulthood where even the gang violence in a way feels like a part of a certain lack of maturity. The three performers though are quite good in presenting the innate warmth and initial joy of life in the connection between them. There’s an ease in all their interactions that really sells the notions of this childhood connection of friendship even as they very much are no longer men. Notably this energy is found in their performances even in the gang fights where they present the same joy about it as anything else as very much just part of what they do, as strange as that might sound.

Leung even as a slightly younger performer still very much had that star charisma, something that was remarkably shown the same year in the Days of Being Wild where just getting doing theoretically mundane things was captivating. Leung obviously has a more substantial role and makes use of it. Bringing that charisma to the role where he establishes the certain joys of participating in the pop culture at the time, but also the romantic connection with his eventual wife Jane (Fennie Yuen). He has an easy charm but also even more importantly this quietly internalized sense of devotion and nuance to those around him in that intimacy that honestly became one of Leung’s great trademarks. As big as this film begins and will become, Leung offers still that quietly powerful presence. Cheung on the other hand is very much about the wild energy he brings. A notable moment as such is when Frank is running to Ben’s wedding he runs afoul of a rival gang. Cheung in the scene brings this odd but effective optimistic manner even in a violent situation where there’s a strange sincerity just as there is a mania as he goes about not only taking the attack, going so far as to act like it is nothing to Ben when he finally does arrive at the wedding. Cheung in the moment captures this convincing embrace of whatever is thrown out at him in the moment, albeit only for this moment. 

Ben and Frank seeking revenge for that slight, leading to the death of a rival gang member, leads the trio to seek their fortune by delivering arms to Vietnam. Before he leaves though Ben has to say goodbye to his wife, where again not too much time has been spent on the relationship but frankly Leung doesn’t need it. He just brings immediately the burden of that connection that even as his wife stays back in Hong Kong, the weight of it is so brazen in Leung’s eyes as we see he will keep going regardless. When they enter into Vietnam the group is almost immediately faced with acts of terrorism than brutal reactions by the local government where they’re caught into interrogation. This swing represents the film’s curious tone that 9 times out of 10 I would say wouldn’t work, and I’m not 100% sure why it does here, but it largely does. One reason may be the gravitas offered by the cast particularly Leung who is quite amazing in these scenes in capturing just how immediately harrowing everything is, however Cheung and Lee for that matter also support in these earlier moments. We enter into a world of insanity however as the boys try to make a deal, however it gets trickier as Ben begins to empathize with a prostitute Sally (Yolinda Yam) who works for the crime lord they’re supposed to be selling to, however they do find help with a cool hitman Luke (Simon Lam) who also wants to help Sally. 

Within that scheme Leung again is terrific in creating instant investment in his silent reactions to Sally where you see that haunted quality in him thinking of his own wife, and whenever the film focuses on his reactions towards her he is very moving. Cheung though presents someone kind of within the insanity of things and maybe becoming a bit lost in himself. Where Cheung brings that intensity of the chaotic energy and increases it a bit more as we get to the captivating if totally mad action scenes as the group and Luke take down the gangster, however this leads to them making a run for it into hostile territory, and for Paul to become obsessed with his treasure chest full of gold he pilfered from the crime boss. Through these shifts we made our first dramatic shift where for me there was a fissure between Leung and Cheung. The first coming in as both admonish Paul for his greed, threatening their friendship and throwing some of his gold away. Leung brings such intense specific and wholly convincing intensity. Cheung goes very big, something he’ll keep doing as the film goes on, and his mania starts to begin feeling more like an actor just going wild than wholly this character losing it. 

Things get even crazier as the three are caught by the Vietcong and to take an extreme even more than the Deer Hunter they are forced to shoot other prisoners by the demented soldiers. The scene nonetheless seems designed to capture that level of desperation. I have to be honest I thought Cheung’s face contortions to show his emotional instability I felt just got ridiculous at this point and what I did like about his performance earlier felt just wholly overcooked even in the extremes of the film. For me this was made all the more obvious by Tony Leung’s performance which stayed absolutely convincing and emotionally penetrating in every scene. Including this one where Leung honestly delivers one of his very best scenes as an actor, which given his pedigree that is quite notable, where he is forced by the Vietcong to aim at Frank. While Cheung I think goes for a very over the top route where his facial expressions just keep getting bigger, Leung is able to deliver real pathos where he too is presenting this laughing mania of the lunacy of the scene, while his eyes are delivering the extreme nature of the heartbreak just as his delivery of the word bring such a profound urgency of his friend trying desperately to calm his friend despite the hopelessness of the moment. 

An attack saves the men only sort of as both Ben and Frank take a bullet from the gold obsessed Paul who goes full Bogart. Frank’s being in the head like the title which forces him to speed run Christopher Walken’s arc from The Deer Hunter, in again a scene where I didn’t find Cheung particularly convincing as the man lost in essentially his trauma and literal brain damage, rather I saw the overacting of a performer going for the most intense facial expressions that weren’t overly convincing. Again Leung though saved the scene, if also made the deficiencies of Cheung’s acting all the more evident, as in his quietly pained reactions do we see such sorrow of a lost friendship and is heartbreaking especially in the moment where Frank asks Ben to mercy kill him. Leung delivers on the severity of this situation and creates the real punctuation of it where you sense the tragedy of the loss with the old warmth and love for his friend. All of this leaving only the return to Hong Kong and revenge to avenge the loss of one friend by killing the former friend. Leung’s great in creating the changed man that is Ben in this final act, with the moment with his wife where there is no longer the wistful romance but just the haunted man searching for vengeance. In the vengeance itself, Leung could just make it an action scene yet he brings such vibrant emotion to every moment of it showing the ferocity of a man not just taking action for the sake of his friend but also the sense of betrayal of the very idea of friendship. Although that is just another instance of the powerful anchor Leung is throughout the film. Every scene is one where he elevates the material, and convinces you of the emotion even in this wild swings featured in the film’s wavering tone. 
(Cheung)

(Leung)

80 comments:

Louis Morgan said...

Does anyone know where one can watch Korczak with English subtitles?

Matt Mustin said...

Well, all I can say is I thought Cheung was heartbreaking.

Luke Higham said...

Calvin and Omar should know.

Emi Grant said...

I was already curious abt this film from everyone's praise for it, but another 5 for Leung does pique my interest.

Emi Grant said...

Found an ok.ru link, fwiw

https://ok.ru/video/1859937569481

Bryan L. said...

Ok.ru is goated.

Calvin Law said...

Oh, look, Emi got me covered already.

I'm with Matt on Cheung but I'm not surprised you were far more taken by Leung. And hey, I'll never complain about another Leung 5 (thanks for reviewing them both). In fact, I'm intending to use my next request on another performance of his.

Calvin Law said...

Louis: thoughts on Lee and Yam, and John Woo's direction?

Matt Mustin said...

Oh yeah, no complaints about Leung getting a 5 at all. I was moved by both of them.

Lucas Saavedra said...

Louis: Your ratings and thoughts on the rest of the cast?

Anonymous said...

Louis: do you think you would have preferred Leslie Cheung in Jacky Cheung's role

Calvin Law said...

This is his fifth 5 isn't it? I think he'll probably get at least 1 more for Lust, Caution.

Emi Grant said...

I recall him being strong in Lust, Caution, but I'd be surprised with another 5.

Though, I'd probably need to rewatch it to have a clearer opinion of it now.

Luke Higham said...

Louis: What's your rating and thoughts on Leung in Days For Being Wild. He was never ranked in Supporting.

Luke Higham said...

Louis: On the link that Emi mentioned, you have to turn captions on.

Harris Marlowe said...

Re: the suggestion to rewatch Hunt for Red October, I could be wrong, but I think the commenter was asking you to do so just in honor of Sam Neill and Tim Curry rather than any hopes it would change anything.

Bryan L. said...

Louis: Thoughts on the trailer for Ink?

Marcus said...

Louis: Do you think the BP awards race might be dominated by a single film this year, or do you think it might be more competitive this time.

Louis Morgan said...

Emi Grant:

Thank you.

Calvin:

Lee - 4(Felt he created the right degree of camaraderie with both Leung and Cheung and seemingly just was ready to be the friend going through their challenges. Then within the action scenes basically created the seed of where his character would go where you see that he maybe enjoys the violence and carnage a little too much compared to his friends. Bringing an interesting arc of this, at first, comedic quality to his gold obsession that slowly becomes more venomous and intense. Something where we see his initial apology as genuine but even within it still this fixation on the gold. Then just this complete mania that takes over where he makes it as this extension of that joy of the violence as he becomes a man completely careless in his approach. Successfully creating the arc from “third wheel” to villain in a way that’s convincing right down to his last scene where the sudden shame of sorts we can see as part of that same kind of insanity that slowly gripped him throughout.)

Lam - 4(His character is almost a comical level of cool to the point that even after his character goes through similar hell somehow the “damaged” version of the character might in fact be even cooler as an action hero type. Lam carries that cool quite naturally in a performance where he very much evokes just that presence of ease in every situation, but I think with just the right level of undercurrent of empathy where you see the humanity within that cool regardless.)

Looking at A Better Tomorrow, this film and Hardboiled there’s a bit of a Sergio Leone element within Woo’s work where the specific growth of budget is very fundamental within sort of the edges of each film, less so on a writing front but rather a very specific production quality to his films. This film clearly has rough around the edges elements in that dubbing, the literal sound quality of the score and such, however at the same time you can see how ingenuity and style can overwhelm such limitations. Woo very much directs with an operatic quality where the emotional elements are on its sleeve, including the use of score which honestly it was literally the score itself that I balked at more so than the use of it so to speak, to the contrast of friendship and violence, to the violence itself which every action scene is masterful here in just seeing such a brilliant filmmaking showing really his new way out of gunfights. Woo gives them a vibrancy and dynamic quality that just was not the standard and you see him run with that in every action scene. Woo though is ambitious here though in being just as extreme in that emotional content, depicting horrors of war and upheaval quite directly. An element again that Woo takes ownership of, as just all the same piece of the extreme where I felt it managed to work despite how much it should not, and I think Woo giving focus to his actors in pivotal moments does provide just enough grounding not to get lost into noise. I think unquestionably is a messy film yet there is a vibrancy of a director just going for broke that few filmmakers do as Woo does so here.

Bryan:

One of my preferred Boyle films was a talky one, so maybe I will enjoy another talking one that seems to be here, and certainly looks like it could find an entertaining but also incisive angle into its story. O’Connell looking like he might be continuing the streak as a charismatic fiend, and just randomly notable to feature Pearce with an Australian accent in a non-Australian film.

Anonymous:

Probably.

Marcus:


I mean the Odyssey seems to have the juice to do it, where frankly I’m slightly against what seems to be majority grain by not being *as* positive on the film as that majority, and I could totally see Nolan pulling the Lean. Something could catch fire from the fall fests but in this instance it will need to catch *a lot* of fire.

Luke Higham said...

Louis: Ratings and thoughts on the cast of Masters Of The Universe.

Lucas Saavedra said...

Louis: Your ratings and thoughts on the rest of the cast of Bullet in the Head?

Bryan L. said...

Rupert Murdoch was in his late 30s during the timeframe the film takes place in, yet Guy Pearce himself is closing in on sixty(!). He's aged pretty well.

People do age better nowadays than back then, to be fair, but still.

J96 said...

Louis, thoughts on the trailer for East of Eden.

Louis Morgan said...

Luke:

Galitzine - 3.5(He’s really trying though I think he’s really stuck in a strange place where he has to be goofy but also has to sell any drama as he can. I think it is honestly way too much to ask of him to really be the polar opposite at the same time, but I will say as much as his task is impossible, he’s not bad. With a more stable tone I think he could’ve been particularly endearing honestly because I don’t think he completely fails in a tone that should’ve forced him to fail. He does what he can and I honestly wouldn’t mind seeing him in a similar role with a better script and direction.)

Mendes - 3(Mostly just has to play it straight and she’s completely fine. I wouldn't say she leaves much of an impression beyond that, though she gets the job done.)

Elba - 3(I think it probably would’ve been better to have allowed him to be a wholly serious character because instead he has a serious arc while also having to act goofy all the time. Elba does seem a little lost in this shuffle at times, though there are times where he finds a moment as the mentor even as the silly drunk but it’s not consistent.)

Leto - 4(I actually wouldn’t say color me surprised because I did enjoy him in both Blade Runner and House of Gucci. Regardless though Leto perhaps is at his most universally best in that he really finds an ease with the tone here with every vocal adjustment which he does a lot in terms of raising or lowering his voice in terms of making Skeletor both appropriately villainous and comical. His choices somehow are consistently good though where he does find some genuine menace while also finding all the jokes in terms of playing up the ridiculousness of such an obviously evil character. Leto finds just the right blend and I was impressed that he managed to know exactly when to go silly and when to go severe each time.)

Brie - 2(Now she I would’ve expected as a highlight but I actually found she was the opposite of Leto. Where her attempts at menace came off as just silly but then her comedic moments just felt a little forced.)

Lucas:

I covered everyone who needs to be covered.

J96:

I’m good with having just watched the first one.

RatedRStar said...

Louis: I feel like you would hate the Hong Kong Awards lol if you were forced to watch the ceremony or listen to the nominations.

Anonymous said...

Louis: Your ratings and thoughts on the Mando and Grogu cast?

Calvin Law said...

I think Galitzine has a lot of untapped potential. I think in a great comedic director's hands (which to be fair are far and few in between these days) he could be pretty amazing.

Also agree with the Leone comparison with Woo, which speaking of I'd love to see Woo tackle a Western (or Eastern, so to speak). I mean, it would just feel right to see Chow Yun-fat doing shootouts on horseback or Tony Leung in a Mexican standoff.

Louis Morgan said...

RatedRStar:

Probably.

Anonymous:

Pascal - 2.5(Found his delivering curiously low energy at times in the series and found it consistently as such here. Although it speaks to the low stakes writing of the film that Pascal seemingly just is content with such passivity throughout the film, even the bit without his helmet he still feels like he's going through the motions.)

White - 2(You are hearing him talk.)

Weaver - 2.5(She certainly cashed that paycheck. She has such a boring character, where one can question why she was even cast. Weaver reads through the exposition given and doesn't offer it any particular life.)

Scorsese - 3(Tries the hardest out of anyone and just for a quick bit he does bring at least some energy and character within very strict limitations of the role.)

Calvin:

Agreed.

Lucas Saavedra said...

Louis: Do you think in Stalag 17, Holden shows that Sefton cares, at least little bit, in his interactions with the character of Cookie? I think he was a little more sincere in those moments, or at the very least got along better with him than with the other characters

Luke Higham said...

Calvin: You should consider watching Galitzine in Mary & George, he's great there.

Bryan L. said...

Louis: Your top fifteen American actors & actresses of all time?

Luke Higham said...

Louis: Have you seen the second season of The Night Manager.

Robert MacFarlane said...

Louis: Outside of Patric, were there any other requests from me that took you off guard?

Luke Higham said...

Best Actor's gonna be extremely competitive this year. John Malkovich, Andrew Scott and Robert Pattinson all getting unanimous praise.

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

Louis: Do you think Banshees and Three Billboards not bringing any individual wins for McDonagh (or any wins at all for the former) could create a possible "overdue" narrative for him?

Granted, I think his direction has always been somewhat taken for granted relative to his writing, but him not having won at least Screenplay yet is a little surprising to me.

Anonymous said...

Luke: And I still want Gosling to make in at the Oscars, man.... Also Garfield's movie ain't out yet either. Hopefully he does great. Long overdued for a 3rd five. About to be a decade since Silence.

Marcus said...

*sees Malkovich's latest comments*

To quote Lukas Mattson, he may have just fucked himself.

Robert MacFarlane said...

Marcus: Not overly surprised, he’s been known for bad politics since the 90’s.

Louis Morgan said...

Lucas:

No I think that’s entirely the case where you see the soft spot for him particularly the “you too?” moment where Holden portrays more of a shrug towards isolation by others but is genuinely hurt by Cookie buying the accusation as well.

Bryan:

I’d like to hold off on the “goat” declarations at the moment.

Luke:

Not yet.

Robert:

Actually Ian Holm in Fellowship, largely because that was very much a performance that I always took for granted.

Tahmeed:

I don’t think so, it also doesn’t help that he is an Oscar winner so in a weird way it is hard to be overdue in that sense. Wild Horse Nine’s current reviews seem to indicate that it’s more likely going to appeal to those who are already fans more than a pure universal adulation which I would think he’d need to have that Oppenheimer, OBAA, No Country sweep. I think it probably will happen at some point but not yet. Having said that the film is going to do well nomination wise, so he will be in original screenplay contention (and could easily once again win the BAFTA there), but just like what happened the last three times he won the BAFTA for original screenplay, he can easily lose to someone with just a little more momentum with the academy.

Robert MacFarlane said...

Using up another request: Billy Crudup in Jesus’ Son for 2000 Best Actor.

Robert MacFarlane said...

By the way, you haven’t updated the requests in a while. Is there a glitch going on with that? Three 1982 performances are listed under 1981, 2004 is still on the board, etc. I know I requested Bottoms in Last Picture Show a few weeks ago.

Harris Marlowe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Harris Marlowe said...

Thoughts on this Curb bit, and were you intentionally referencing it in your review of Domingo in Sing Sing? To be honest I think of this scene every time I see the phrase used. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ENHVQ2gslp8

Ytrewq Wertyq said...

What did Malkovich say? I can't find anything controversial that may have surfaced during recent Wild Horse Nine interviews he has given and he always struck me as someone always disinterested in things outside of acting.

Shaggy Rogers said...

Hey Louis
If I have wins from my correct predictions and requests left over, I want two more names:
Raizō Ichikawa - Conflagration
Toshiro Mifune - A Wife’s Heart

Tim said...

i feel bad for Bruce Campbell, what he said about his cancerand him only having maybe 5 years to live is absolutely terrible

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

Louis: Who are some performers who you think have a free pass essentially to coast on their known presence, without it being boring/bad?

Harris Marlowe said...

Ytrewq: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/lifestyle/arts/john-malkovich-returning-israel-the-music-critic-1236691835/

Lucas Saavedra said...

Louis: Your ratings and thoughts on the rest of the cast of Awakenings?

Calvin Law said...

I'd agree with Louis' assessment of McDonagh's chances but I do think he could probably benefit this year from many of the bigger contenders being in the Adapted category.

Tahmeed: relevant to the above review but I kind of feel Tony Leung can kind of do this just by virtue of being an interesting presence in himself (though that said, I think he rarely if ever does).

Harris Marlowe said...

Tim: It's tragic, he's a wonderful actor.

Louis: Thoughts on this trailer? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GGJSRFWALTI

Louis Morgan said...

Harris:

I mean a classic Larry David bit where you see Jerry particularly feed off the same wavelength and within see very much where the humor of Seinfeld most exists.

And yes I’ve semi-intentionally referenced that bit when I use the phrase though usually I do it in the opposite where I will begin with the negatives, and then having said those negatives get to why I do actually like the thing.

Lucas:

Heard - 3(For the thankless jerk role he does do what he can do offer at least some reality to such an uninteresting part at its core. As really he’s there just to be annoyed by Williams and say jerky things.)

Kavner - 3(She’s fine on bringing enough of a sense of warmth though I feel though she’s always teetering towards a bit too much twee, though overall I think she does what she needs to.)

von Sydow - (Brings a nice quick bit of gravitas to his exposition where you do sense his old years of disappointment in his failure to help the patients even though he’s mostly there to set things up for Williams’s character.)

The rest of the patients I think is a mixed bag, in a general sense I do believe them all a bit more than De Niro though I think they go from being overly twee in a few, then like the bitter man with the son is probably overall the most real feeling.

Tahmeed:

Tom Waits
Harry Dean Stanton
James Mason
Michael Keaton
Wilford Brimley
Clint Eastwood
Ronald Colman
Claude Rains
James Cagney
Chaplin, Keaton, Groucho Marx, Laurel and Hardy

Harris:

That’s terrifying, and also intriguing of course as with Fielder you never exactly know what you’re going to get.

Robert MacFarlane said...

Just a heads up: You have Crudup listed for 2008 instead of 2000 for Jesus' Son.

Luke Higham said...

Louis: Will you be giving your updated Oscar predictions after Toronto or once Behemoth! has premiered.

Harris Marlowe said...

Luke: The blog's release date policy is first non-festival theatrical premiere, right? A pre-festival television premiere doesn't count?

Harris Marlowe said...

Oh no, I'm afraid you misunderstood. What I asked had nothing to do with TIFF or the Oscar predictions. I asked that question because I was going to ask him to watch Paris is Burning for 1990, but I'm wondering about its eligibility as IMDB tells me it first premiered on TV in April 1990, but didn't premiere theatrically until Aug 1991.

Harris Marlowe said...

And it had a festival run in between. https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0100332/releaseinfo/

Luke Higham said...

Harris: My apologies, long day at work.

Very difficult to say, because I assume they would've deemed it ineligible for the Oscars if that were the case but there is no mention of it on Wikipedia.

Harris Marlowe said...

No need to apologize, I should've just mentioned the film upfront.

I guess the ball's in your court, Louis, is it '90 or '91 by your rules?

Louis Morgan said...

Luke:

I'll give the update after the people's choice is annouced as per usual.

Harris:

If it had a television premiere first in 1990 it makes it a 1990 tv movie however that also means it is inellgible for my overall top 10/25.

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

Louis: From your experience so far of logging films on LB, which films do you find particularly underrated, or over-criticized? Judging by the average ratings and reviews you encounter, of course.

Luke Higham said...

Tahmeed: The Mask Of Zorro comes to mind.

Luke Higham said...

Though I see it's gone up .2 since he reviewed it.

Shaggy Rogers said...

Heys guys and Louis
Tell your Top 10 of directors whether bad, so so or just ok who surprised you by managing to get actors to have 5 or even win overall.

1. John Woo - Bullet in the Head
2. Zack Snyder - Watchmen
3. Peter Berg - Lone Survivor
4. Drew Goddard - Bad Time At the El Royale
5. John Mackenzie - The Long Good Friday
6. Stanley Kramer - Judgment at Nuremberg
7. John Guillermin - Guns at Batasi
8. Scott Hicks - Hearts in Atlantis
9. Henry Hathaway - Kiss of Death
10. Mark Rydell - The Cowboys

Louis Morgan said...

Tahmeed:

Saturday Night Fever - Which seems dogged by reviews that either believe, incorrectly, that the film is in support of the film’s “life” or are surprised by the actual nature of the film.

Shakespeare in Love - I guarantee in the universe where it won no Oscars, it is considered a delightful period romantic comedy.

The Mask of Zorro - We are going in the right direction though.

8000S said...

Louis: Your thoughts on Jim Henson's Wilkins Coffee ads.

Lucas Saavedra said...

Louis: Your thoughts on Cary Grant and David Niven as actors and your present film roles for them?

Harris Marlowe said...

Re: Frankenstein Unbound, I'd imagine in such cases "money" would be the likeliest answer. And I've never heard of a show called Nightrider, heard they had a cool talking car in Knight Rider though.

RatedRStar said...

Louis: In Awakenings I was a bit caught off guard seeing Dexter Gordon as one of the patients lol.

Ytrewq Wertyq said...

Louis: I'm going to use one of my requests now. This is a performance that, well, certainly one cannot miss.

Nicolas Cage in Vampire's Kiss for 1989 Best Actor.

Luke Higham said...

Louis: Your thoughts on the casting for Heat 2.

Jonathan Williams said...

Louis: Thoughts on the Artificial trailer.

Bryan L. said...

I'm halfway through reading the novel right now, and Graham will be a great fit for young(er) McCauley in my opinion.

Harris Marlowe said...

If you could attend only one film festival per year, and had the accreditation/money/time for it, which one would you pick and why?

And semi-relatedly, did you ever have any aspiration to becoming a professional film critic?

Louis Morgan said...

8000’s:

Many hilarious pitch black bits with Kermit’s psychotic father who takes no prisoners for those who besmirch Wilkins.

Lucas:

Grant and Niven were pretty similar actors in both, very much representing a specific British cinematic charm where most of their performances rely on their charm and presence. The outliers being the occasional attempt at the dramatic which honestly were a mixed bag for both, neither would I say incapable as such however both seem far less at home in those attempts than just being charming. Grant in particular excelled most if roles were built with the charm in mind even with some dramatic moments in there, he usually performed better if the charm was still the core of the performance. Neither could really transform themselves into parts they needed to be Niven or Grant roles at a fundamental level even more so than some contemporaries. Grant I think had an even greater overall presence and charm though Niven was reliable enough though also never exactly a guarantee.

Luke:


I mean DiCaprio as the Kilmer successor is probably the easiest to accept visually, as I certainly don’t see Graham as De Niro or Bale as Pacino. Graham certainly can deliver similar energy however, Bale less so innately though maybe he’ll want to imitate Pacino.

Jonathan:

Seems a little early subject matter wise a bit like The Fifth Estate, where it all might end up being too simplified to make a statement at this point when the issues are more than ongoing. Garfield though looks creepy and honestly looks a bit less clunky than the Social Reckoning trailer.

Harris:

TIFF probably just because it usually covers almost all the bases in terms of the mainstream prestige fair. Though Cannes would be tempting for maybe the overall experience.

No.

Harris Marlowe said...

That's a surprisingly short answer. Any particular reason why not? Just curious.

Bryan L. said...

Yeah, admittedly I had trouble envisioning Christian Bale delivering Hanna’s lines in the book, though maybe he’ll make it work.

Calvin Law said...

Louis: what are your thoughts on the screenplay of Poetry? Rewatched it the other day and really appreciated the way it weaves together her interest in poetry and dealing with her grandson's crime together throughout, into that very powerful ending.

Lucas Saavedra said...

Louis: Are there any present film roles you think Grant or Niven could have been good for, and if so wich ones?

Louis Morgan said...

Harris:

Well film is one passion I have but it’s not my only passion. One of those passions is my profession which has been my focus honestly before I really got into film even.

Calvin:

Poetry’s screenplay is unique, much like most of Lee’s films, but unique in terms of the overall structure and execution the whole time. It has wield swings, potentially maddening ones, and such an extreme contrast between the hopeful story of an older finding some meaning in life with poetry against the horror of the insidiousness of what her grandson has done, while also dealing with her diagnosis. Where it progresses I’d say almost non-chalantly as written in the theoretical investigation along with her increasing interest in poetry with the inspector there as technically the main connection as the more earthy poet. It’s quite frankly a weird film as really all of Lee’s films are weird in some way, in this instance the weirdness I think does work as an exercise in contrasts where I think it manages to find enough beauty inside the horror of it all. Almost as a testimony to finding one joy in life even when almost literally all else is failing around you can have so much more meaning through it.

Lucas:

Niven:


Commander Bolton - Dunkirk
Keith Mackenzie - The Phantom of the Open

Grant:

Phoenix Buchanan
Rodney Williams