Friday 29 June 2012

Alternate Best Actor 1985: Results

5. Jeff Daniels in The Purple Rose of Cairo- Daniels gives a very strong performance as both as the actor and his character. He does a particularly wonderful job portraying the subtle differences between the two.

Best Scene: Gil Shepard and Tom Baxter meet each other. 
4. Jonathan Pryce in Brazil- Pryce has a difficult role being a film very much controlled without question by the director. Nevertheless Pryce stands as the solid straight man of the film, giving a likable as well as moving portrayal of a normal man in an overly complex world.

Best Scene: "Brazil"
3. Tim Curry in Clue- Tim Curry gives a very enjoyable performance where he infuses a great deal of energy in every scene as well as he works wonders with the rest of his cast.

Best Scene: Wadsworth recreates the night's events. 
2. Michael J. Fox in Back to the Future- Fox tempted me greatly into giving him the win with his absolutely terrific performance in this film. He carries the film brilliantly with his perfect performance that adds both weight and humor to the film.

Best Scene: "Earth Angel" 
1. Raul Julia in Kiss of the Spider Woman- This is an especially shameful year for the academy who nominated several mediocre performance when they could have nominated this terrific line up instead. This was also particularly hard to decide on my ranking on the bottom three, the top two, and even the overall number one. Julia though I give both the win here, as well as the overall along with his co-star Hurt, because what makes both of their performances as tremendous as they both are because of the truly fascinating relationship they create with each other. Both are completely amazing in their roles, but I still should say Fox is right behind them with his equally great even though very different performance.

Best Scene: Kiss of the Spider woman. 
Overall Rank:
  1. William Hurt and Raul Julia in Kiss of the Spider Woman (Tie)
  2. Tatsuya Nakadai in Ran
  3. Michael J. Fox in Back to the Future
  4. Eric Stoltz in Mask
  5. Griffin Dunne in After Hours
  6. Aleksei Kravchenko in Come and See
  7. Tim Curry in Clue  
  8. James Mason in The Shooting Party
  9. Jonathan Pryce in Brazil
  10. Ken Ogata in Mishima: A Life in Four Chapters
  11. Jeff Daniels in The Purple Rose of Cairo 
  12. Clint Eastwood in Pale Rider 
  13. Klaus Maria Brandauer in Colonel Redl
  14. Albert Brooks in Lost in America
  15. Harrison Ford in Witness
  16. Jeffrey Combs in  Re-Animator
  17. Mel Gibson in Mad Max Beyond Thunderdome 
  18. Tsutomu Yamazaki in Tampopo
  19. Judd Nelson in The Breakfast Club
  20. Paul Reubens in Pee Wee's Big Adventure 
  21. Rutger Hauer in Ladyhawke
  22. John Cusack in Better Off Dead 
  23. Nicholas Rowe in Young Sherlock Holmes
  24. Gordon Warnecke in My Beautiful Laundrette
  25. Jeff Bridges in Jagged Edge
  26. Anthony Michael Hall in The Breakfast Club   
  27. Timothy Hutton in The Falcon and the Snowman
  28. Ethan Hawke in Explorers
  29. Bobby Fite in Explorers
  30. David Huddleston in Santa Clause
  31. Sean Astin in The Goonies  
  32. William Ragsdale in Fright Night 
  33. Alan Cox in Young Sherlock Holmes
  34. Mickey Rourke in Year of the Dragon
  35. William Peterson in To Live and Die in LA 
  36. John Getz in Blood Simple
  37. Sylvester Stallone in Rambo First Blood Part II
  38. Emilio Estevez in The Breakfast Club 
  39. Michael J. Fox in Teen Wolf 
  40. Val Kilmer in Real Genius
  41. Dudley Moore in Santa Clause
  42. River Phoenix in Explorers
  43. Sylvester Stallone in Rocky IV
  44. James Garner in Murphy's Romance
  45. Jon Voight in Runaway Train 
  46. Sean Penn in The Falcon and The Snowman
  47. Tom Cruise in Legend 
  48. Matthew Broderick in Ladyhawke
  49. Gabriel Jarrett in Real Genius
  50. Robert Redford in Out of Africa
  51. Chevy Chase in National Lampoon's European Vacation 
  52. Roger Moore in A View To Kill
  53. Jack Nicholson in Prizzi's Honor 
  54. Grant Bardsley in The Black Cauldron
  55. Bruce Abbott in Re-Animator
  56. Mark Patton in Nightmare on Elm Street 2: Freddy's Revenge
Next Year: 2008

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

It's interesting that you gave the win to both Hurt and Julia, since it seems that they really are best together.

joe burns said...

Great! I'm glad Julia won, though I haven't seen him, LOL...

2008 will be exciting!!!

How about 1965 for a year in the future?


Have you seen all of the alternate performances or do you just pick them randomly?

I guess either approach works...

Michael Patison said...

I think 2008 has the ability to be great. I'd put forward the following 5 for possible consideration for the year:
Leonardo DiCaprio in Revolutionary Road
Benicio del Toro in Che
Clint Eastwood in Gran Torino
Michael Fassbender in Hunger
Brendan Gleeson in In Bruges

I thought about picking other years to have you do, but I kept coming back to 1947, so that's what I'll pick. I was coming back to it mostly because of the one performance I've been constantly trying to get you to see, and the one I will put forward as my alternate performance contribution, Robert Mitchum in Out of the Past.

Michael Patison said...

I forgot to congratulate my fellow winning picker, Joe. Good job picking, and great job on picking a great year in 1965.

dinasztie said...

I'm disappointed about Fox. :(

Anonymous said...

Woohoo! Finally, the right prediction! :D I'm so happy! I'd love to see 2011, as it seems to be a really strong year, if you exclude the horrible Clooney :P.

If I may suggest a performance, I'd love to see you revieving Robert Więckiewicz in "In Darkness" - the movie itself was nominated in Best Foreign Language film, and it's from my country, Poland :D So I would really love to get to know your opinion of his performance, as it got really good revievs in Poland.

I hope it wouldn't be a problem for you to find this movie. If not, feel free to do your own line-up ;)

mrripley said...

2008 some ideas

dicaprio - rev road
kingsley - elegy
farrell - in bruges
fassbender - hunger
bale - the dark knight

Louis Morgan said...

Joe: I usually have seen some but not necessarily all of them before. Than I choose what are considered widely to be the snubbed performance from that year, or are considered iconic or memorable performances from an actor's filmography.

Anonymous: I certainly will include him for 2011.

Michael Patison said...

For Joe's 1965, I'll submit the following for consideration:
Omar Sharif for Doctor Zhivago
Sean Connery for The Hill
Christopher Plummer for The Sound of Music
Sidney Poitier for A Patch of Blue
Terence Stamp for The Collector

Also, for 2011 I'll submit:
Michael Fassbender for Shame
Ryan Gosling for Drive
Woody Harrelson for Rampart
Hunter McCracken for The Tree of Life
Michael Shannon for Take Shelter

If you wish I can rewrite these posts later when you're fixing to write up those years so that you don't have to come back and look. I'll wait to post my complete 5 suggestions for 1947 (Mitchum + 4 more) until such time as you choose to review the year.

Bailey Posey said...

Are you absolutely sure that Stallone should be listed on the top nineteen twice? But here's another questions, are you familiar with the Golden Raspberries and do you agree or disagree with their nominations? If you need information, look up they're article on Wikipedia and give me your opinion, because I have high doubt on a few of the nominations and I want someone who knows true acting to figure it out. Once again, thank you

Louis Morgan said...

Well he is there because I merely counted every lead performance I have seen from the year as long as I do not intend to review it later.

Golden Raspberries give Stallone a little too much flack. Stallone although is not great in either of the films I listed but I feel he fulfilled his roles in those films more thoroughly than those listed below him.

As for the Golden Raspberries in general they list plenty of actually bad performance, although they many times miss truly bad ones. They also though list plenty of fine performances like James Coco for no other reason than it was probably popular to make fun of Coco at the time.

Michael McCarthy said...

Have you seen My Beautiful Laundrette? I thought Daniel Day-Lewis was excellent in that and I noticed he wasn't on this list.

Michael McCarthy said...

Oh and Tatsuya Nakadai in Ran, I'd be surprised if you didn't like that one.

Louis Morgan said...

I need to watch both those films especially Ran.