Wednesday 9 November 2011

Best Supporting Actor 1996: Results

5. Cuba Gooding Jr. in Jerry Maguire- Gooding gives an obnoxious over the top performance that wants to be endearing but rather is annoying. He does put a lot of energy into the role though.
4. James Woods in Ghosts of Mississippi- Although given very little to do Woods does a good job of being an effective villain infusing a great deal of energy into his performance. 
3. Armin Mueller-Stahl in Shine- Stahl gives an effective performance as the domineering father of the film unfortuantely though because his character is repetitive his performance is almost the same way.
2. William H. Macy in Fargo- Macy gives a great pathetic portrayal. He gives a perfect portrait of a man who has no idea what he is doing and is unable to do anything about with making more and more bad decisions. It is a brilliant performance that gets everything right.
1. Edward Norton in Primal Fear- Good prediction Dinasztie This was an  exceedingly close decision to make but it is one I never should have made to begin with since Macy and Norton should not have been in the same category. Macy should have been placed in lead where he very very easily would have been my win that year. Both of the top two are both the best of their year really Macy in the leading category and Norton in the supporting. There is no real reason for their order here, except that Norton gives just as brilliant of a performance as Macy. Norton gives a perfectly conducted performance that reveals the mystery of his character in an incredibly chilling, and extremely effective fashion.
Deserving Performances:
Steve Buscemi in Fargo

15 comments:

moviefilm said...

I have seen three performances of this year (Norton, Macy and Gooding Jr.) and I agree with all of them.
Couldn´t you do 1977, soon, please?

dshultz said...

Do you think you could review Norton's performance in the 25th Hour sometime? And I second 1977. Alec Guinness for me!

RatedRStar said...

ye I think 1977 is one of the more interesting categories, especially when it comes to Alec Guinness and Peter Firth

Anonymous said...

I would also love 1977. If not then maybe 1970?

RatedRStar said...

If you take the torment that is drum roll ..... ..... Equus again lol

Louis Morgan said...

Well one of the 70's years will be the year after next. I'll decide than whether I can bare watching Equus again at this time.

Louis Morgan said...

Dshultz: I have yet to see 25th hour, but when I do I might be able to review him.

Anonymous said...

Wow. I really need to see Primal Fear now. I'm a HUGE Ed Norton fan. Not so much Richard Gere, though. How was he in it?

Louis Morgan said...

I'm not really a fan of Gere but its one of his better performances.

dinasztie said...

I was right. Well, I haven't seen Norton so I really cannot say if I agree.

Tom said...

I agree. Norton should have gotten the Oscar not Cuba, a terrible actor.

Michael Patison said...

How did you like Noah Taylor in Shine?

Anonymous said...

Here's my personal reference:

1.) Cuba Gooding, Jr. -- Jerry Maguire [100 / 100; A+]
2.) William H. Macy -- Fargo [100 / 100; A+]
3.) Edward Norton -- Primal Fear [90 / 100; A-]
4.) Armin Mueller -- Shine [86 / 100; B]
5.) James Woods -- Ghosts of Mississippi [71 / 100; C-]

Unknown said...

I will never understand how Samuel L. Jackson did not get nominated for A Time To Kill

Sam said...

Geoffrey Rush in Shine is supporting and William Macy in Fargo is lead.
They should have swapped categories.