Thursday 18 August 2011

Best Actor 1953: Results

5. Richard Burton in The Robe- Although I found much of his performance hilarious it was not for the right reasons, also whenever he is not unintentionally funny he is rather dull.
4. Burt Lancaster in From Here to Eternity- Although lacking in ways in his big romantic scenes with Deborah Kerr, he makes up quite a bit of it in his expert command of the character infusing both a dominating presence with an underlying warmness especially well.
3. Marlon Brando in Julius Caesar- Brando really on a whole is not given much to do, but what he has he makes the most of it. His major speech is made a pivotal moment in the film becuase of Brando's utterly stunning performance.
2. Montgomery Clift in From Here to Eternity-  Clift is outstanding throughout his performance perfectly bringing to life the struggle of Prewitt. In fact his performance is so effective that he actually brings more out of characters he does not even portray.
1. William Holden in Stalag 17- I will admit this is probably my favorite of these performances in terms of how much I enjoy watching them. I could watch Holden brilliantly sardonic turn over and over again that simply could not bring out more in his character.
Deserving Performances:
James Mason in Julius Caesar

5 comments:

Fritz said...

Yay! Your review of William made me a little nervous but I'm very happy with Clift's win!

dshultz said...

Aha, I thought do. Could you do '78 soon?

dinasztie said...

Well, I know the dilemma. Favorite vs. best. :)

dshultz: I can answer that. There are two years left so Louis will do '78 very soon. :)

Anonymous said...

I'm very glad Clift won because he was just perfect in every way! Did you see his performance in Hitchcock's "I Confess" also released in 1953?, it was great!

joe burns said...

I thought Clift would win! Because of how well your review was of him.