Sunday, 30 January 2011

Best Actor 1979: Results

5. Al Pacino in ...And Justice for All-Al Pacino gives a good performance, and remains a realistic and emotionally powerful presence in a rather stupid film. 
4. Dustin Hoffman in Kramer vs. Kramer- Dustin Hoffman gives an authentic and honest portrayal of a troubled father. 
 
3. Jack Lemmon in The China Syndrome- Jack Lemmon gives a strong performance and shows his character emotional disintegration as his conscience grows on him.
2. Roy Scheider in All That Jazz- Scheider has the right charm and right type of presence in this film, but I do believe the self-indulgent film holds his performance back
1. Peter Sellers in Being There- Peter Sellers creates an incredibly memorable character through his finely attuned performance as Chance. He keeps his character consistent, and his whole creation of Chance is simply wonderful.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes! Peter Sellers won, I agree with you 100%, one of my favorite performances ever!

Fritz said...

I thought you might go with Hoffman but it seems that Sellers gives a great performance (I haven't seen it yet)

Sage Slowdive said...

I would have picked Hoffman - really one of my favorite winners.

dinasztie said...

I would also pick Hoffman. He's heartwrenching.