Friday 16 August 2013

Alternate Best Actor 1950: Results

5. Marlon Brando in The Men- Brando gives a solid turn but he always seems a bit restricted due to the role.

Best Scene: Ken's emotional outburst at the other Men
4. Toshiro Mifune in Scandal- Far from Mifune's best work but it is a nice charming performance as a fulfills the role a traditional leading man.

Best Scene: Ichiro makes his plea to the court.
3. Edmond O'Brien in D.O.A.- O'Brien is easily the best part of his film as he gives a convincing performance as a man forced to solve his own murder while he is dying.

Best Scene: Bigelow finishes telling his story.
2. Sterling Hayden in The Asphalt Jungle- Hayden doesn't give a hoot style doesn't always work but it certainly does here as the hoodlum Dix particularly due to the modicum of humanity he does bring to the part.

Best Scene:  Dix dreams of the farm as he tries to make it back to it one more time.
1. Toshiro Mifune in Rashomon- Good Prediction Psifonian. Feel free to name a year and a performance of your choice. My favorite this year is without a doubt Mifune's amazing performance here that may be his finest. He goes all out and is absolutely magnetic every second he is onscreen and gives a compelling portrayal of a man through four very different perceptions.

Best Scene:  (Hard to say as I love every minute of it but I'll have to say) The bandit's version of the story.
Overall Rank:
  1. Toshiro Mifune in Rashomon
  2. Richard Widmark in Night and the City
  3. James Stewart in Harvey
  4. William Holden in Sunset Blvd.
  5. Jose Ferrer in Cyrano De Bergerac
  6. John Garfield in The Breaking Point
  7. Jean Marais in Orpheus
  8. Alec Guinness in Last Holiday
  9. Sterling Hayden in The Asphalt Jungle
  10. Edmond O'Brien in D.O.A.
  11. Sidney Poitier in No Way Out 
  12. Kirk Douglas in Young Man With A Horn
  13. Toshiro Mifune in Scandal
  14. James Stewart in Winchester '73 
  15. John Mills in Morning Departure 
  16. Stig Olin in To Joy
  17. Marlon Brando in The Men
  18. John Wayne in Rio Grande
  19. Richard Widmark in No Way Out 
  20. John Dall in Gun Crazy
  21. James Stewart in Broken Arrow
  22. Richard Widmark in Panic in the Streets 
  23. Takashi Shimura in Scandal
  24. Gregory Peck in The Gunfighter  
  25. Joel McCrea in Stars in My Crown
  26. Spencer Tracy in Father of the Bride
  27. Robert Newton in Treasure Island
  28. Dilip Kumar in Babul 
  29. Walter Huston in The Furies
  30. Vincent Price in The Baron of Arizona 
  31. Edouard Dermit in Les Enfants Terribles
  32. Ben Johnson in Wagon Master
  33. Dana Andrews in Where the Sidewalk Ends
  34. Clifton Webb in Cheaper by the Dozen  
  35. Alfonso Mejia in Los Olvidados
  36. Dan Dailey in When Willie Comes Marching Home
  37. Richard Todd in Stage Fright 
  38. Louis Calhern in The Magnificent Yankee
  39. Broderick Crawford in Born Yesterday
  40. William Holden in Born Yesterday 
  41. Fred Astaire in Three Little Words 
  42. Stewart Granger in King Solomon's Mines
  43. Burt Lancaster in Mister 880 
  44. Harry Carey Jr. in Wagon Master
  45. Humphrey Bogart in In a Lonely Place 
  46. Bobby Driscoll in Treasure Island
  47. Jimmy Hanley in The Blue Lamp  
  48. Red Skeleton in Three Little Words
  49. Alan Ladd in Captain Carey, U.S.A. 
  50. Dirk Bogarde in The Blue Lamp
  51. Ronald Reagan in Louisa
  52. Jackie Robinson in The Jackie Robinson Story 
  53. John Archer in Destination Moon
Next Year: 1950 Supporting

16 comments:

RatedRStar said...

I'm afraid you might have to do another one of them quick set of reviews Louis since this is another one of those that only has a few performances of notice, not all the years in the 30s/40s/50s have this problem but I think 1950 does.

Mark said...

Louis, do you think Toshiro Mifune is the greatest actor to never be nominated for an Oscar?

Louis Morgan said...

Yes.

Michael Patison said...

I fear RatedRStar may be right about this year.

Louis Calhern in The Asphalt Jungle
Dirk Bogarde in The Blue Lamp
Kirk Douglas in The Glass Menagerie
Jack Palance in Panic in the Streets
Alastair Sim in Stage Fright

Michael McCarthy said...

Gahh thought I had this one...well I guess I overestimated Brando but I still think I'd put him over Hayden. My issue with Hayden in this movie is mostly that I don't like his delivery, it just seems kind of wooden. His facial expressions are always spot on though. Anyway if you do the traditional reviews for supporting actor here are my picks:

Louis Calhern-The Asphalt Jungle
Alastair Sim-Stage Fright
Everett Sloane-The Men
Takashi Shimura-Rashomon
Gary Merrill-All About Eve

Michael Patison said...

Oh God, no. Gary Merrill?!?!?! All About Eve is my 2nd favorite film ever and I think he's dreadful. Talk about wooden and being completely overshadowed by literally everyone in the cast. Even Hugh Marlowe stands up better than him (though not much).

Robert MacFarlane said...

I'd say half the cast of Rashomon would make good review material. If I had to choose one, I'd go with Masayuki Mori as the bitter, deceased samurai.

Psifonian said...

Excellent! 1981 will be my choice, with Mel Gibson in "Gallipoli" as my choice.

As for supporting actor, it's tough. Not many great performances that year that weren't recognized.

Richard Attenborough, Morning Departure (I have it in 1950)
Louis Calhern, The Asphalt Jungle
William Holden, Born Yesterday
Masayuki Mori, Rashomon
Stephen McNally, Winchester '73.

Michael McCarthy said...

Masayuki Mori would certainly be a deserving nominee, I just happened to find Shimura's performance to be more effective on an emotional level.

Robert MacFarlane said...

@ Psifonian: I think someone actually requested that one.

Michael Patison said...

Psifinian, koook: I did indeed request either he or Mark Lee for that year. I'll revise that to just Gibson now, though.

Psifonian said...

If Gibson's been requested for '81, then I'll request Jurgen Prochnow for that year.

Michael Patison said...

Dang it now I have to think of somebody else to request once I eventually get another year correct. Prochnow was my under-the-radar guy who even rose above his film's terrific direction and gave a remarkable performance.

Edward L. said...

Do you count The Third Man as 1950 (like the Academy did)? If so, Orson Welles should be considered!

Edward L. said...

Sorry - I just remembered, you did him in 1949. My mistake!

Anonymous said...

Louis hope you get to the 90's soon.