5. Frank Morgan in Tortilla Flat- Morgan is by far the best part of a bad film bringing a lot of heart to his role of the dog lover.
4. Henry Travers in Mrs. Miniver- Travers portrays his usual nice old man role in his usual nice old man fashion. It is not a stretch for him, the part is very limited, but Travers does it well.
3. William Bendix in Wake Island- Bendix's whole point in the film is to be funny, he is funny enough, and he is perfectly fine.
2. Walter Huston in Yankee Doodle Dandy- Huston gives a good performance as the warm and wise father. He is convincing in the vaudeville scenes, but his role is a little too limited for Huston to really do anything special in the role.
1. Van Heflin in Johnny Eager- Good prediction RatedRStar. Heflin very very easily wins this year. Heflin simply gives an outstanding performance. He absolutely steals the entire film, he brings genuine emotions, and an original character to a film that certainly needs it.
Claude Rains in Now Voyager
Roddy McDowall in The Pied Piper