5. Ed Harris in The Hours- The only thing Harris does not seem to try for in his performance is subtly in his needlessly over the top performance.
4. John C. Reilly in Chicago- Reilly is the sap his character should be, and makes the most of his single big scene. It is not amazing work but as it should be.
3. Chris Cooper in Adaptation- Chris Cooper gives an effective performance managing the complex strangeness of his character quite well.
2. Paul Newman in Road to Perdition- Newman gives a moving performance by creating a unique portrait of an aged gangster who finds he honestly does not have the heart to be who he is.
1. Christopher Walken in Catch Me If You Can- Walken easily is my favorite of the year though giving a completely heartbreaking performance as the tragic loving father. This is one performance that I simply love every moment of. Walken creates such an honest portrait that to me is unforgettable.