Wednesday 28 July 2010

Best Supporting Actor 2003: Results

5. Benicio Del Toro in 21 Grams- Del Toro surprised me how little he did with his performance here and I never felt he made any sort of emotional connection ever in the film with this performance.

4. Djimon Hounsou in In America- Hounsou gives his usual two setting of performance, which is either speaking in a whisper or yelling wildly.
3. Alec Baldwin in The Cooler- Baldwin is completely competent throughout the film but what he does never makes much of an impact.
2. Tim Robbins in Mystic River-Robbins work never quite overcomes the surface posturing, yet there is some power found in the more subtle elements of his performance.
1. Ken Watanabe in The Last Samurai- A good performance that makes the strongest impact within the film, giving an entertaining yet moving portrayal of his charismatic leader.

11 comments:

joe burns said...

I knew Robbins would win, but I wish you would have liked Del Torro. Ah well. Would you have given Penn a nomination for 21 Gramms instead of Mystic River? And what did you think of Naomi Watts?

Louis Morgan said...

Well I thought Penn was the best part of 21 Grams and I might have nominated for that instead. But I believe the rule that an actor can only be nominated once in a single category for a single year is a foolish rule that really does not make any sense.

Watts I felt was bland for most of it and than unnatural feeling when she started the yelling and crying scenes.

joe burns said...

I might do a Actor category once I'm done with 68 and two other Best Actress years and if I did, which one would you want me to do?

Louis Morgan said...

I would like to see your thoughts on 1976 and if you can't find seven Beauties, 1964 would also be very interesting to see.

Unknown said...

Robbins was the best that year or would you chose someone from your set of nominees?

Louis Morgan said...

At the moment I would probably stick with Robbins, although if I rewatched the other films I might think differently.

Unknown said...

What about Bacon, how many Breenans he would get?

Louis Morgan said...

Probably 3.5.

Fritz said...

Yay for Tim!

Looks like 2003 wasn't a great year for either Actor or Supporting Actir for you.

Louis Morgan said...

No it was not, I really did not like many performances or films from this year at all.

Anonymous said...

Yeah, I liked the cast of Mystic River alot...espeically Tim Robbins and Marcia Gay Harden.