Saturday 24 July 2010

Best Actor 2003: Results

5. Ben Kingsley in The House of Sand and Fog- Kingsley stays far too stiff throughout his performance to ever create an effective or even at times believable character.

4. Sean Penn in Mystic River- Penn's is one over the top hammy work that overcompensates in basically every moment.
3. Jude Law in Cold Mountain- I was very close to giving the win to Law because his performance really is the most consistent. He is good throughout but I never felt he was required to do that much overall.

2. Bill Murray in Lost in Translation- The only performance in this year that does not do an accent is my choice in a very close margin with Law, and in a year where I did not fell strongly about a single performance. But my choice goes to Murray because when he being basically Murray that is something no one else can do anyways, and when he tries for more with the performance he does succeed very well.

1. Johnny Depp in The Pirates of the Carribbean - Depp gives an instantly iconic performance that's entertaining to watch, but here in the original incarnation contains an actual depth as well.

My Nominees:
 I can't really think of any performances I feel strongly about oh wait...

Tommy Wiseau in the room should have been the only nominee because no performance can stand next to this one.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

LMAO...I'm assuming that's a joke about Wiseau.

Here's how I would rank them:

1. Penn
2. Law
3. Murray
4. Kingsley
5. Depp

joe burns said...

What a surprise! I actually think it was a strong year, but it's your opinion.


Can you do Supporting 2003 next?

Louis Morgan said...

Sage: I think you can accept your assumption :)

Joe: Sure.