Friday, 10 July 2026

Alternate Best Supporting Actor 1946: Michael Redgrave in The Captive Heart

Michael Redgrave did not receive an Oscar nomination for portraying Capt. Karel Hašek alias Geoffrey Mitchell in The Captive Heart. 

The Captive Heart follows the story of various British POW’s during WWII. 

Michael Redgrave is the most dominant but technically just one of many stories among a handful that we follow throughout the film. He is featured in the one with the most dramatic tension as we are first introduced to him as an officer who is fluent in German, though we quickly flashback to see Redgrave as a distraught man who hurriedly takes the clothes of a dead British officer who dies in front of him. Redgrave leaves a fine and quick impression as he brings just so much innate emotion within his face here. There’s the sense of a lot of years within the man, though I think this distinct combination between wear but also empathy. Even though we see him as a false soldier initially, we suspect better of him with the care within Redgrave’s performance as he tries to help the British soldiers before they are sent to the camp. Within the camp the other soldiers soon begin to suspect the fake captain due to his suspicious behavior and fluency in German leading to a confrontation. A scene where you really see the power of Redgrave’s presence, which is one honestly built on silences more than declarations. As the man actually named Karel’s reply is to admit the truth, which is that he is in fact a Czech concentration camp survivor, whose only chance was to replace the captain, and within this delivery Redgrave is wonderful as you can feel the intensity of position of isolation, however also this quiet degree of shame but also determination with needing to take the measures he did. Redgrave convinces you that Karel’s actions were justified and in turn makes it wholly believable that not only are the men willing to believe him, they eventually champion his survival. 

A situation that is all the more difficult as the camp’s gestapo agent was also at Karel’s concentration camp, though this initially enabled him to prove his story to the British. Redgrave brings such a striking emotional power within largely his silent reactions where you can see him taking in the severity of the situation while in the silence still presenting the man just being a soldier no more no less. Through the film then we follow him as he tries to maintain his identity which becomes all the trickier when the agent is wondering why he doesn’t send any letters home leading to Karel not only needing to break his hand but also write the unknowing widow Celia (Rachel Kempson, Redgrave’s actual wife) as the man he is impersonating. It speaks to Redgrave’s specific abilities as a performer as he does bring so much nuance within these moments of wording the letters and even contemplating the weight of the ruse. Something that is initially a survival necessity slowly becomes more with each letter and within each letter Redgrave’s performance in a few words but mostly just in thoughtful reflection conveys the connection. A connection all the more meaningful as Karel learns of the deaths of his own family and Redgrave presents a man in a personal purgatory reaching out to another, albeit in a most curious fashion. 

While having that more emotional story we follow one step after another of the specific deceits that eventually lead to Karel needing to find a way out in a large prisoner release through a daring mission, which again Redgrave adds a bit more gravity just in embodying the tension that Karel is going through as witnesses the difficult steps to get him out. Leading to probably the weakest aspect of the film, though it isn’t bad, where the film runs through everyone returning home and Karel having the strange duty of not only revealing to the captain’s wife that her husband’s dead but that she’s also had been corresponding with him the whole time. We do get a good scene of Karel telling the truth to her where again Redgrave is able to weaponize the empathy in such a moving fashion where you do sense completely his understanding of her plight but also brings just as much assurance that he had to do it. Finding though with just the right glint of appreciation and warmth, fittingly not to push too far given the nature of the moment but laying the seed that their connection might’ve been more than ruse. Unfortunately I will say the last bit of the film that basically is a montage of the two coming together feels less like the natural realization of the relationship and more of a “let’s wrap this up”, though this is no fault of Redgrave. Redgrave gives a strong performance that often is working in the silences and naturally finds the needed power in those silences. 

182 comments:

Dom said...

Huh, I didn't expect him Redgrave to be categorize at Supporting Actor, hope I can watch the film myself along with some others that I discovered from this blog.

Matt Mustin said...

Dom: Supporting makes sense to me. I have him lead but im debating if I should. He's the most prominent story but hes also just one of several.

Louis: Ratings and thoughts on the cast?

Perfectionist said...

I haven't watched this yet, but I watched The Browning Version for the first time, 2 weeks ago.... An excellent film and Redgrave's work truly is as extraordinary as told. So much nuance and life in a character, that on surface seems really dormant. Some understatedly beautiful moments. And that speech! A marvelous actor.

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

Man, England have shown a tenacity that's really admirable. So lucky to have both Bellingham and Kane as their star players.

Bryan L. said...

Tahmeed: Agreed. Norway had a hell of a run, but they just ran into a tough one today.

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

Luke: I'd like to congratulate you guys in advance for going through to the final.

Luke Higham said...

So thankful England have Thomas Tuchel.

Tahmeed: I'm not getting ahead of myself. England and Argentina hate each other not just in football but politically as well that it's likely going to be a very dirty match. I also hope these favouritism accusations towards Argentina are unfounded and we get fair officiating.

Calvin Law said...

Glad you liked him and agree he probably fits the supporting category a bit more.

Louis: thoughts on the scene where Calloway takes Martins to see the meningitis patients in The Third Man? I just rewatched the film and was struck by how covertly powerful that scene is particularly by how we don't see what they see, but feel the impact of it all the same.

Anonymous said...

Wow, I didn't expect him to be a supporting character.

Louis: If you rewatch The Big Sleep, could you please do an extra post about Bogart's performance? I think he'll get an upgrade to a 5.

Shaggy Rogers said...

Hey guys
Update on my Top 10 prediction of Louis' lead actor in 1946:
1. Stewart
2. Boyer
3. Bogart
4. Andrews
5. March
6. Marais
7. Simon
8. Heflin
9. Muni
10. Interlenghi

Calvin Law said...

Louis: what are some examples (whether it's actor, director, BTL nominees) where you feel like their lone nomination in their career is a poor representation of their overall talent? After seeing it a few weeks ago I was just thinking about how William Demarest's nomination for the awful The Jolson Story is such an uninspiring choice and doesn't even begin to show what a great character actor he was.

Matt Mustin said...

RIP Sam Neill. My heart is broken right now.

Luke Higham said...

RIP Sam Neill, I'm absolutely devastated.

Kevin said...

Absolutely devastated... RIP Sam Neill, this one really hurts, Jurassic Park and his Dr Alan Grant will always hold a special place in my heart

Robert MacFarlane said...

RIP Sam Neill. This one hurts.

Tony Kim said...

RIP Sam Neill

Ytrewq Wertyq said...

RIP Sam Neill

Maciej said...

RIP Sam Neill

Calvin Law said...

RIP Sam Neill, this one is especially crushing.

Emi Grant said...

R.I.P. Sam Neill

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

RIP Sam Neill, heartbreaking.

Razor said...

RIP Sam Neill.

Perfectionist said...

RIP Sam Neill

RatedRStar said...

RIP Sam Neill

Tim said...

R.I.P. Sam Neill. Can't believe it

Lucas Saavedra said...

R.I.P. Sam Neill.

Jonathan Williams said...

Louis: Thoughts on the Digger trailer

RIP Sam Neill

Anonymous said...

Hey Louis, have you checked out Mitchum in "Till the End of Time" from 1946? It's very much a spiritual companion to "The Best Years of Our Lives" and I heartily recommend it.

J96 said...

Not the news I wanted to hear today. RIP Sam Neill. Devastating.

Anonymous said...

Louis: thoughts on the Digger trailer?

RIP Sam Neill

Louis Morgan said...

RIP Sam Neill, will always be tied to Jurassic Park, however multifaceted in his talents, and always wanted more of him.

Anonymous said...

Overshadowed by the death of Sam Niell, but yeah Cruise is winning the Oscar, man and possibly the overall here too.

Louis Morgan said...

Matt:

Kempson - 3.5(Manages I think in her few scenes convey the overall relationship with her husband then that journey to discovering what ends up being a literal, new man in mainly just her reactions which she delivers on consistently.)

Johns & Warner - 3.5(Both fulfill similar aspects of the working class guys just going into it their own way. They create a believable camaraderie particularly in the moments of dealing with the tragedy. They both honestly are quite moving to the point I wished that the film had given them just a bit more breathing room given their success with what they had.)

Radford - 4(And to think I only thought he could be arguing about sports with another guy. Radford playing it straight is wholly convincing here as the commanding officer. Finding the right combination between authority with his men, disrespect though caution with his opponents yet also this natural sense of empathy towards helping Redgrave’s character.)

Hanley - 3.5(Liked the vibrancy he brought to the criminal who ends up being the hero. I really liked that he didn’t just put too much on it rather projecting it as this matter of fact right thing to do and even admitting himself as a burglar just an extension of that.)

3 to 3.5 for everyone else who I thought was convincing in bringing forth whatever was needed for a quick moment of the soldier or a at home bit. Rock solid ensemble.

Calvin:

A pivotal scene because basically throughout it is Calloway breaking Martins’s illusions about Lime and really removing the “game” of it all from his mind. Something that is a gradual process but the ward scene is basically enough is enough where we see “the dots” that Lime is so blithe about. Reed I think manages to do it all without showing directly, from Cotten’s expressions, to Howard’s calm yet empathetic delivery but most of all just the visual of seeing the nurses struggling in dealing with the situation, particularly the especially powerfully tragic visual of those toys no longer with owners.

Demarest certainly is a particularly egregious one of that ilk, some other examples:

Jean Renoir - The Southerner
Howard Hawks - Sergeant York
Gérard Depardieu - Cyrano De Bergerac
Michael Redgrave - The Mourning Becomes Electra
Trevor Howard - Sons and Lovers
Ian Bannen - Flight of the Phoenix
Anthony Quayle - Anne of the Thousand Days
Don Ameche - Cocoon
Harvey Keitel - Bugsy
Lillian Gish - Duel in the Sun
Margaret Leighton - The Go-Between
Norma Aleandro - Gaby: A True Story

Jonathan:

Looks like a whole lot on every front from Cruise to AGI to really the supporting cast as well. It could be genius or could be a whole lot of noise, and I honestly don’t think any trailer footage will convince me one way or another, it will have to be the film itself.

Robert MacFarlane said...

Louis: Alternatively to Calvin's question: Lone nominations that are obvious career highs for the performer that they've never come close to before or after? Tom Berenger and Elisabeth Shue come to mind.

Matt Mustin said...

Robert: Well, F. Murray Abraham I would think.

Louis Morgan said...

Robert & Matt:

Indeed those three.

Van Heflin - Johnny Eager
Tom Hulce - Amadeus
Sydney Greenstreet - The Maltese Falcon
James Dunn - A Tree Grows in Brooklyn
Stuart Whitman - The Mark
Sam Jaffe - The Asphalt Jungle
Jason Miller - The Exorcist
Timothy Hutton - Ordinary People
Danny Aiello - Do The Right Thing
Judith Anderson - Rebecca
Katina Paxinou - For Whom the Bell Tolls
Kim Hunter - A Streetcar Named Desire
Eva Marie Saint - On the Waterfront
Lila Kedrova - Zorba the Greek
Sondra Locke - The Heart is a Lonely Hunter
Tatum O'Neal - Paper Moon
Lorraine Bracco - Goodfellas
Mo'Nique - Precious
Gary Busey - The Buddy Holly Story
Stephen Rea - The Crying Game
Dudley Moore - Arthur
Demian Bichir - A Better Life
Fernando Meirelles - City of God

Shaggy Rogers said...

RIP Sam Neill

Shaggy Rogers said...

Speaking of Digger, aside from finally getting Cruise an Oscar, there are two cool things if he wins Louis overall:
1) Cruise joins Michael Caine, Ian McKellen, Tatsuya Nakadai and Emma Stone as the only ones to achieve the feat of winning overall, but they lose in the bonus round (introduced in 2016) and then reclaiming the victory.
2) Iñárritu would be the first director to secure overall wins for two actors named Tom.

Dom said...

Still couldn't get over the news of Sam Neill's passing, rest in peace to that legend and hopefully I can check out more of his work outside of Jurassic Park (which I not only watched again, I thought he gave the best performance in the cast).

Shaggy: I must ask, what did Caine, McKellen, Nakadai, and Stone win before the bonus rounds?

Luke Higham said...

Dom:
Nakadai - Kagemusha
McKellen - Apt Pupil
Caine - Get Carter
Stone - La La Land

Robert MacFarlane said...

I honestly think Nakadai should get his back

Matt Mustin said...

Robert: Really, even over Hurt?

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

Always thought Caine was Louis's 71 win for a week or so before he watched 10 Rillington Place for Hurt's review.

Harris Marlowe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Harris Marlowe said...

I'll miss Sam Neill, such an underrated actor.

Perfectionist said...

Matt: I mean, De Niro is an easy win for 1980 for me, but even then Nakadai is just undeniable in a pretty strenuous performance.

Robert MacFarlane said...

Actually, scratch that on Nakadai, my brain was thinking Yamazaki in Supporting.

Jonathan Williams said...

Louis: Thoughts on the Behemoth trailer.

Lucas Saavedra said...

Louis: What are your ratings and thoughts on the cast of Toy Story 2?

Louis Morgan said...

Jonathan:

Seems like Gilroy saw Tar, including the extremely long break between directorial efforts, and said "me too". That by the way doesn't mean it is a negative, but hard not to make the comparison. Gilroy hasn't been the most impressive in his overall directorial work, however hopefully some of his Andor magic finds its way into this project. In terms of the trailer, some nice intense vibes hard to take too much from it beyond that.

Lucas:

I'd rather not go about covering every cast from films I haven't seen in a long time.

Harris Marlowe said...

To those who've seen The Invite, is everyone in it Lead?

Louis Morgan said...

Harris:

No just Rogen and Wilde.

Luke Higham said...

Not surprised with Spain's victory. Suffocated the life out of France. Just like Euro 24, It's gonna be a torturous night for England if they meet them in the final.

Perfectionist said...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO........... SPAIN WON!

Bryan L. said...

Tony, Luke, & Tahmeed: Au revoir, Les Bleus.

Luke Higham said...

Louis: Jack Of Spades has been delayed to next year.

And your thoughts on the rumour that Patrick Wilson and Adam Driver are playing Xavier and Magneto respectively in MCU's X-Men.

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

Quite delighted by Spain winning. As for France, I knew the lack of quality in their midfield relative to their amazing attack would bite them eventually.

Harris Marlowe said...

Luke: What's your source for the Jack of Spades news? I can't find anything at the moment.

Luke Higham said...

Harris: Take it with a grain of salt if you want to.
www.worldofreel.com/blog/2026/7/14/joel-coens-jack-of-spades-delayed-to-2027

Tony Kim said...

Which team is everyone else changing their predictions to?

Harris Marlowe said...

Luke: It's World of Reel so I think I'll definitely be taking it with a grain of salt.

Louis Morgan said...

Luke:

It never exactly had a 2026 release per se to begin with.

Fairly random choices if that's the case. I see Driver slightly more than Wilson but honestly don't really see either that obviously.

Lucas Saavedra said...

Louis: Your thoughts on the Mayday trailer with Ryan Reynolds and Kenneth Branagh?

Louis Morgan said...

Lucas:

It's amusing to me that Branagh is doing his most subtle Russian accent in what is an action comedy. Otherwise theoretically looks like a generic action/comedy, however the directors' last two films also looked like they were going to be far more generic and disposable than they ended up being, so here's hoping they don't let us down the time we might now have some faith in them.

Calvin Law said...

Louis: Good call on Redgrave actually. I wonder if he ever came close to another nomination. Perhaps notable that Mourning Becomes Electra was his first American film and he then took a 4 year hiatus before The Browning Version, after which he largely just stayed working in British productions. Asquith did get Leslie Howard and Wendy Hiller nominations for Pygmalion but I imagine Redgrave had a bigger uphill climb with how competitive that 1951 Best Actor lineup was.

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

Tony: Spain, but finals are different, so I think it'll be close regardless of who they face.

Calvin Law said...

Louis: thoughts on the 'Simon Zealotes' and 'Superstar' scenes in Jesus Christ Superstar, as well as 'King Herod's Song'? Watching other versions recently made me think about how Jewison's film really brought such a specifically charged performance energy to 'Zealotes' and 'Superstar' that's quite hard to top; and how the weird Herod song which honestly is probably the weakest song, I think is handled probably in the best way by the film.

Ytrewq Wertyq said...

Louis: Your past roles for Giancarlo Esposito? Preferably something that goes against him being typecast as every stoic villain ever.

Louis Morgan said...

Calvin:

I imagine he was vaguely in competition for The Browning Version however that was probably the closest he came, but even then that five likely was pretty sealed. Even Kennedy who had the weakest film nominations wise was obviously popular with the acting branch, and actually won NY. Although side note I feel like Death of a Salesman was kind of a how to not adapt a play, while The Browning Version was a how to adapt a play.

Simon and the Zealots really is indeed capturing energy, even with the definitely very 70's edits in there, and very much presenting it mostly as this spiritual celebration. Delivering on that just by the level of energy, though I think there's a subtle brilliance in the staging, something I've seen other versions go super overt about, which is the militant rebellion aspect revealing itself, here just in a slight shift of the performance. Which I love the way Larry Marshall goes darker briefly showing really the potential violent ways Jesus could use his influence that reveals itself as a surprise then even painting the worship slightly differently at the end where the crowd teeters towards hysteria than just celebration, something emphasized by Carl Anderson's silent performance.

Superstar I agree is all about capturing energy which the staging isn't overly complex and certainly lower budget but wholly works in that specific particularly within the editing. I especially love the instrumental segue that breaks to Anderson coming back in that has such force to it thanks to the build up in the edits of the "gospel singers" movements before just giving it to the sheer power of Anderson's voice and performance...which side note I have to say I feel like if he gave that performance today people would've wanted to cast him in everything.

I agree on King Herod's song not being the best to begin with and that's one where other version want to go REALLY over the top with it. I think it. hits a nice balance of emphasizing a certain silliness but still giving off the vibes of a debauched court just filtered in the anachronistic style of the film. Finding some humor but not going so broad with it, making the switch to angry Herod more natural and convincing as basically a spoiled brat showing his dark side when he doesn't get what he wants.

Ytrewq:

Chief - Apocalypse Now
Gordon - A Patch of Blue
Juror No. 8
Jeff Bailey - Out of the Past

Jonathan Williams said...

Louis: Thoughts on the I Play Rocky trailer.

Louis Morgan said...

Jonathan:

Anthony Ippolito certainly is filling a very specific niche of doing spot on impersonation of 70's Italian American actors. Though this time it is in the lead, so hopefully it goes beyond impersonation. The film itself honestly looks a lot like The Offer, which if successfully that, could be fun but won't exactly be mining any true depths...which I think there was probably a greater potential with Stallone's story.

Harris Marlowe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Lucas Saavedra said...

I'm argentinian and I don't watch a lot of football but watching the last two world cups has been very exciting

Perfectionist said...

Can't BELIEVE I'm saying this, but let's go England.

Luke Higham said...

I hope Spain crush Argentina.

Tony Kim said...

Tahmeed, Bryan, Daniel, A, Luke: Your post-match thoughts.

Perfectionist: Didn't know you were watching, which teams had you been rooting for before?

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

I can't lie, even as a Messi fan (who was magnificent), that was heartbreaking for England.

A lot will be made of the officiating, but from having just tuned in the last half hour, it seemed England were too passive after 1-0. Hard to sit on a lead against this Argentina side.

Still think Spain hydraulic presses Argentina, but the plot armor does remain unmatched for now.

Bryan L. said...

Luke: I’m sorry mate.

Tony: Pretty much the same as Tahmeed’s. Argentina’s done it once again and England also let their foot off the gas.

Perfectionist said...

Tony: I wasn't watching consistently, but I did mention previously here that I have been rooting for Spain. Netherlands were another favorite. Soft spot for Morocco too.

Also, MY GOD, contrary to the previous SF, England suffocated themselves here. Backing yourself into the corner post 60th minute after scoring just 1 goal, WHAT???? =

Luke Higham said...

Not much to add other than Tuchel doing a Southgate. Didn't learn from their mistakes 8 years ago.

A said...

Didn't think I'd say this, but I kind of feel bad for England.

I think Tahmeed hit the nail on the head. Only thing I'll say is that it's impressive how Argentina can manufacture brilliance against deep blocks.

Luke Higham said...

And with all due respect to Messi and Enzo Fernandez (Chelsea), I F****** hate this Argentinian Team.

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

Luke: That's an entirely valid reaction.

I know Tuchel did wonders with Chelsea during his stint, but the game plan just didn't come off today. Hope Alonso can turn it around in the coming season.

Luke Higham said...

Tahmeed: That's if the ownership starts giving a damn which I doubt.

Tony Kim said...

What do you guys predict for the remaining matches? Like Tahmeed I'll predict Spain though I'm not quite as confident in that guess.

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

Tony: For the third place match (cruelest game in perhaps all of sport if you ask me), I'll predict England as they have a more balanced midfield. Although I really hope they don't emulate the game plan from today if they score early on.

Calvin Law said...

Louis: thoughts on this 1940s version of Sideways directed by...Anthony Asquith?

Miles: Michael Redgrave
Jack: David Farrar (I did think of Karloff as a fun possibility, though)
Maya: Margaret Lockwood
Stephanie: Anna May Wong

Louis Morgan said...

Calvin:

Weirdly enough all that does seem to fit pretty well as Redgrave really was the anxiety ridden man before so many, albeit in a more refined way. Could also see Farrar, though Michael Denison is proved concept in a way as I wouldn't say the dynamic in Earnest is wholly dissimilar. Lockwood and Redgrave are already a proven concept, and could see Wong there as well.

Anonymous said...

Louis: Can I have your thoughts about this scene? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bhc64w1wsDQ

Jonathan Williams said...

Louis: Thoughts on The Uprising trailer.

Calvin Law said...

Loved The Odyssey pretty much entirely. Leguizamo, Morton and Pattinson my MVPs though honestly, Hathaway and Damon are sitting really well with me too.

Anonymous said...

Calvin: ratings for the cast of The Odyssey?

Luke Higham said...

I've heard that the Morton section is the best part of the film.

Tim said...

The Odyssey can be pretty neatly divided into three parts for me. Didn't really care for the first hour or so, was a lot more involved in the second part and actually kind of loved the last third.

BUT ... how do i put this ... it feels less like Nolan was attempting to make really a Peter Jackson movie, when this is best it feels more like a Ridley Scott or Mel Gibson type film, you know?


Damon - 3.5
Holland - 3
Hathaway - 4
Zandaya - 3.5
Nyong'o - 3.5
Pattinson - 4.5
Theron - 2.5
Bernthal - 3
Safdie - present
Leguizamo - 4.5 (LOVED everything he did here, a conclusive scene woul have been nice tho)
Page - 2
Patel - 3.5
Goth - 2.5
Hawkins - 3
Morton - 4.5/5

Tim said...

and on the topic of "What would Nolan's Troy have looked like?":

I say, if Chris directed the Movie Troy as we know it, with the David Benioff script ... MADE NOW, it would probably be great.

If made in 2004, back when he thought steadycams were for squares and one cut exactly every second was the way to go, it would have definitely sucked.

Please remember that that movie focuses a lot more on action than Batman does

Calvin Law said...

Anonymous:

Damon: 4/4.5
Holland: 3.5
Hathaway: 4.5
Pattinson: 4.5
Nyong’o: 3
Morton: 4.5
Leguizamo: 5
Zendaya: 3
Theron: 3
Safdie: 2.5
Bernthal: 3.5
Patel: 4
Hawkins: 3.5
Goth: 2
Page: 3.5

Louis Morgan said...

Regarding the Odyssey: In terms of the negatives, there’s a few nitpicky “HE SHOULD TURN HIMSELF IN” second long bits one can name that honestly are very easy to get past, but there were a couple more overt things in the ending. One being the Nolan finale montage to make a thematic point was probably one of Nolan’s weakest for me, which was reflective of not quite hitting the greater modern context it was striving for in that instance. Additionally the boy becoming the man arc didn’t work for me, in part due to the performance and in part how Nolan chose to stage that character’s input in the finale which quite frankly I thought was a strange choice. HAVING SAID THAT, this is still an extraordinary achievement with one outstanding set piece after another, where it is just at another level of true cinematic spectacle that rarely is achieved. And while I might’ve had issues with that certain thematic thrust, the emotional thrust of the work absolutely did deliver for me, in thanks to several key performances, and where Nolan did succeed in crafting his tangible version of the world with simply several masterstrokes throughout, special mention to Circe in that regard.

Holland - 3
Hathaway - 4.5
Nyong'o - 3
Morton - 4.5
Zendaya - 3
Theron - 3
Safdie - 2.5(Sorry but we needed a much deeper voice here. Which if we had it, I think his bit would've hit HARD)
Bernthal - 4
Patel - 4
Hawkins - 3.5
Goth - 3
Marshall-Green - 2.5
Page - 3
Remar - 3
Hurst - 3

Matt Mustin said...

Louis: So, like, Ralph Ineson instead of Safdie maybe? I don't know how much age is a factor.

Louis Morgan said...

Matt:

Honestly Ineson would make more sense age wise too, given Agamemnon should be the older brother.

Matt Mustin said...

Is Holland co-lead in The Odyssey?

Louis Morgan said...

And I have to admit as cheesy as most of the Andrei Konchalovsky version is (which MAN his career is so weird) starring Armand Assante, you can't beat Christopher Lee as Tiresias, and as over the top as the choices technically were...I did prefer how that version utilized Telemachus and the very specific fate of the the chief suitor and Melantho in the suitor confrontation.

Louis Morgan said...

Matt:

No, he's supporting, like Downey in Oppenheimer he is the main perspective of most of his scenes but his scenes are supportive of the main narrative and in the end don't make up *that* much of the overall film.

Calvin Law said...

So happy that you're saving Leguizamo and Pattinson (two actors that when I first started following this blog, I'd never have imagined would be getting reviews at all).

Marcus said...

Louis: Happy that you've given Penn the win out of the 2025 nominees for OBAA as well.

Harris Marlowe said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Emi Grant said...

Just wanted to say in regards to The Invite, I'm with Robert on this one. Thought this was the best of Rogen I've seen.

Rogen: 4/4.5
Wilde: 4
Norton: 3.5
Cruz: 3.5

Tony Kim said...

Bryan, Luke, Perfectionist, A: What are you predicting for the remaining matches?

Luke Higham said...

Glad to see those that I expected to deliver have done so.

Tony:
France 3-1 England
Spain 3-2 Argentina

Luke Higham said...

Louis: What about Bill Irwin and Travis Scott.

Perfectionist said...

Tony: 2-2(Spain wins the penalties). But it will be close, especially with the fuckass officiating too.

Also Tahmeed is underplaying Argentina's shrewdness(maybe he wants to jinx Spain 😂). Now that they have won a World Cup with Messi, that too the most recent one, that too in one of the most important games in the history of the sport, and have come back with almost the same squad, these fellas know HOW to win a high pressure game... I'm just going with my heart and predicting Spain.

Luke Higham said...

Hoping for an ass whooping is wishful thinking on my part because I'm too aware how annoyingly dogged Argentina are as a team.

Luke Higham said...

And I wouldn't be surprised if Argentina get more favourable decisions their way because I'm sure FIFA would love for Messi to emulate Pele's achievement of back to back world cup victories in 58 and 62.

Luke Higham said...

In regards to The Odyssey, to those who've seen it. Who was most at ease (aside from Pattinson) with the dialogue and who struggled the most with it because that's my major concern going into it on Monday.

Louis Morgan said...

Luke:

I honestly didn't think there was much struggling in general. Holland I'd say struggles, but less with the style of dialogue and more of the "I'm now a strong King" lines he has to deliver later on.

Louis Morgan said...

Luke:

Scott's probably a 3, quick bit but I thought it served its purpose. Irwin I would need to do a bit more research on in terms of what exactly is "him" so to speak, but he certainly was part of an impressive realization.

Luke Higham said...

Louis: Thanks, Holland was who I had in mind from the trailers because he was completely overshadowed by Pattinson.

Anonymous said...

Louis: Your rating for Brian Vernel in The Odyssey?

Luke Higham said...

Louis: What was your thoughts on The Uprising trailer. I thought Garfield looked very promising.

Tim said...

How do you think this movie would have looked?:



Troy 2020s Directed by Christopher Nolan

Achilles: Richard Madden
Hector: James McAvoy
Paris: Kit Harrington
Helen: i was technically against Lupita in this role, so i'm going with Ana de Armas
Agamemnon: Ralph Ineson
Odysseus: Matt Damon
Menelaos: Jon Bernthal
Briseis: Zendaya
Thetis: Helena Bonham Carter
Priam: David Strathairn

RatedRStar said...

RIP Brenda Fricker

Luke Higham said...

RIP Brenda Fricker

Tim said...

R.I.P. Brenda Fricker

Perfectionist said...

RIP Brenda Fricker

A said...

Tony: I'll tentatively say Spain… though with how the rest of this tournament's gone, nothing will surprise me at this point.

A said...

Oh, and I'll go with France for the third place match.

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

RIP Brenda Fricker

Luke Higham said...

Louis: Do you think Matt Damon is a serious contender for a best actor nomination.

Michael McCarthy said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michael McCarthy said...

Saw The Odyssey late last night. Damon I thought struggled a bit in his scenes as an older man, but I do think there was much more good than bad in his scenes. Agree with all of you on Hathaway, Leguizamo and Morton. I’d go higher on Bernthal and Nyong’o than most of you and a little lower on Pattinson. He had a couple of terrific moments but for my money, The Drama is his best performance this year.

Luke Higham said...

With the approach that's been taken, I kept thinking Josh Brolin would've been more ideal for Odysseus.

Anonymous said...

Michael: your ratings for the cast of The Odyssey?

PS: I’ll be seeing the movie tomorrow. Very excited for it.

Ytrewq Wertyq said...

The Odyssey is pretty great overall.

Damon - 5
Holland - 4.5
Hathaway - 4.5
Pattinson - 4.5
Nyong'o - 3
Morton - 4/4.5
Leguizamo - 4.5/5
Zendaya - 3
Theron - 3.5
Bernthal - 3.5
Safdie - 2.5
Page - 3
Remar - 3
Goth - 3
Patel - 3.5

Ytrewq Wertyq said...

RIP Brenda Fricker

Tony Kim said...

RIP Brenda Fricker.

Tim: May I ask why you were against Lupita as Helen?

J96 said...

RIP Brenda Fricker. Another childhood icon gone too soon. And the 2nd Home Alone 2 cast member. I gasped when I got the news.

Tim said...

Tony: felt like stunt casting, almost to intentionally create controversy. Just like you cannot convince me that the rumors that Elliot Page (whom i did find distracting as Sinon though also for different reasons) would play Achilles which were out for a while weren't put out there intentionally by somebody at Universal.
Myself, i don't care too much about colorblind casting. I've heard points from both sides and honestly for the longest time have switched my allegiances back and forth only to recognize that there are enough cases where it makes no difference. But this one here felt ... intentional, ya know?

And there is a second aspect, one that only applies to me ... i know how awful this is gonna sound ... there is no way to avoid sounding like a jerk, so let's just say it outright ...

I don't think she's hot enough. Like, not NEARLY

Ytrewq Wertyq said...

Louis: Random question, but what is your opinion on Jack Black as an actor? I'm asking this because I'm hoping that he's going to do what John Leguizamo seems to be doing now - shedding his hyperactive presence he's known for now that he's older and in a return delivering much better performances than before.

Louis Morgan said...

Anonymous:

3

Luke:

Looks very Braveheart in style, not just rebellion against the British. The trailer certainly had plenty of intensity, particularly from Garfield, the question is will it yield it effectively or not.

For a nomination, yes I would say so. The types of roles being recognized is only ever expanding, Nolan is fully “in the club” now, the film is getting raved, as long as the boxoffice follows suit fully it will be a juggernaut, and no reason to doubt that Damon could be in play. Also helps that right now there’s no one really set in stone as even Cruise and Malkovich are both existing sight unseen.

Ytrewq:

There are perhaps the three phases of Black. His early work honestly frequently was generally believable as an often dramatic, sometimes slightly comedic character actor, not great but usually decent. With High Fidelity on there came the “Jack Black” character which was its own thing and became basically his own comic styling, sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn’t, honestly like many a comedic actor. King Kong being a semi-exception as he’s kind of still working his presence but funneled in a slightly different way, something that I think is divisive within the film to the extent many felt it worked, for me it mostly worked albeit with limitations. Then back to Black doing Black, which again sometimes works sometimes it doesn’t, usually depending on the material he’s selling with it. The major exception being Bernie which is fully him doing something else almost entirely and he was successful. Since then he only had kind of the Polka King in that vein, which I would say was different but within elements of his more expected presence, and not as successful as Bernie but still worked. Bernie in particular I would say suggests untapped potential but currently Black seems happy to be doing the more expected, which obviously pays the bills but would like to see him go back to expanding what casting directors could see him as. For me, I can like him, I can dislike, but I will definitely say he has talent even if it isn’t always utilized perfectly.

Robert MacFarlane said...

Okay, ranking the Odyssey cast

Joh Leguizamo
Samantha Morton
Anne Hathaway
Matt Damon
Robert Pattinson
Elliot Page
Corey Hawkins
Himesh Patel
James Remar
Charlize Theron (probably should have swapped with Lupita)
Zendaya
Lupita Nyong'o
Ryan Hurst
John Bernthal
Mia Goth
Benny Safdie (should have swapped with Ryan Hurst)
Tom Holland

That one scene where Hathaway snaps at Holland plays like "FINE! I'll act for the both of us!"

J96 said...

These are some interesting takes. Can't wait to see the film. Sold out everywhere, despite all the hate.

Time to get off social media and YouTube.

Matt Mustin said...

RIP Brenda Fricker. Kind of an underrated Oscar winner all things considered.

Matt Mustin said...

The Dark Corner (1946) cast ratings:
Stevens-2
Ball-4.5
Webb-3.5
Bendix-3.5
Kreuger-2
Downs-3
Hadley-3

Lucas Saavedra said...

Louis: What are your thoughts on the trailer for The Incomer with Domhnall Gleeson? And how do you think Robert Downey Jr. would have done as Jack Sparrow in the Pirates of the Caribbean films?

Anonymous said...

I am a little surprised that some people think Tom Holland will get the Oscar nomination for supporting actor, I think its more likely to be Pattinson.

RatedRStar said...

Louis: Did you ever see the Assembly interview with Sam Neill? I would say along with Richard Dreyfuss meeting Robert Shaws grand daughter one of the most sad interviews ever, have you ever gotten emotionally involved with any interviews before?

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

Hoping England doesn't bottle this.

Luke Higham said...

I'm gobsmacked by this performance. 3-0 and it's not even half-time. Why the hell did we not get this in the semi.

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Michael McCarthy said...

Robert: I’m happy to see you rank Page so high, he’s honestly staying with me better than Pattinson.

I really enjoyed Nyong’o as Helen, particularly the way she mercifully interrupted Safdie’s monologue with that bloodcurdling scream of hers, but totally agree that she’d have also been a great fit for Calypso, and definitely that Theron would’ve been a much better fit for Helen than she is for Calypso.

Luke Higham said...

What a Game!

A said...

Fitting game for a third place match.

Tony Kim said...

Of all the fucking days to miss a match due to other obligations...

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

What the fuck doesn't come close. Credit to England for hanging on, that was quite the fightback by France in the second half.

Anonymous said...

I wonder if Anne will go the Lily Gladstone way and campaign for lead, I think she could win

Emi Grant said...

Anonymous: Low-key hoping she does so Samantha Morton has a clear pathway to a nomination. Though I don't think it's too likely, she's even more Supporting than Gladstone was on KOTFM.

Also, Odyssey good. Who would've thunk it?

Damon: 4.5
Hathaway: 4.5/5
Holland: 3
Hurst: 3
Pattinson: 4.5
Leguziamo: 4-ish, wouldn't mind going higher
Theron: 3.5
Zendaya: 3
Safdie: 2.5
Patel: 3.5
Bernthal: 3.5
Nyong'o: 3
Goth: 3.5
Morton: 4.5 (Looooooooved her in this)
Page: 3 (thought he had some rather stilted lines, but did decent enough on his big scene)

I have a splitting headache rn, so I'm probably forgetting a bunch of people, but I do want to say that I kinda liked what Nolan was going for with Scott's casting, but I think he could've cast someone with a bigger presence for his role.

Anonymous said...

Damon - 4
Holland - 3.5
Hathaway - 3
Zendaya - 2
Nyong'o - 3.5
Pattinson - 3
Theron - 2.5
Bernthal - 3
Leguizamo - 3
Page - 3
Patel - 3.5
Goth - 2
Hawkins - 3
Morton - 4

Really poor ensemble to be honest

Anonymous said...

Ooh edgy...

Robert MacFarlane said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Robert MacFarlane said...

The Anonymi are fighting again.

Perfectionist said...

Well guys.. we have finally arrived to this very moment. Some important 90 minutes, that will decide how I'll begin my week.

Luke Higham said...

JUSTICE!

Perfectionist said...

YEAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!

Perfectionist said...

Luke: Congrats, man 🥳🥳🥳🥳

A said...

For a 1-0 game, that felt fairly lopsided.

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

Can't deny it, very well deserved by Spain. As a Messi and Barca fan, bittersweet, but Argentina's over-dependence on him was going to hurt eventually.

1-0 seriously flatters Argentina too.

Luke Higham said...

And FIFA, keep your Super Bowl half-time show out of the sport.

Anonymous said...

Luke: Congrats on third place.

Perfectionist said...

Tahmeed: Argentina does have a pretty shitty attack for sure. Though their MVP is Emiliano Martinez for sure. Extraordinary performances in such pressure situations.

Also, hindsight's 20/20, but if England weren't mental midgets in big games, this easily could have been theirs. Really resorted to full defense too earlier on. While on the contrary, in a similar position even in 119th minute, Spain didn't do that.

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

Perfectionist: The only ones I feel remotely bad for are Messi and Emi Martinez. Enzo Fernandez also fucked it with his red card, but there's no excuse for Argentina having 0 shots before extra time.

Unknown said...

Oh my oh my.... Mind my language. Why is that pig there?? He is going to put that medal on Lamine and Spanish team in general 🤢🤢??

Bryan L. said...

Argentina's chaotic late-comeback style of play came back to haunt them. Just ran out of luck/gas. Congrats to Spain!

Calvin Law said...

Unknown: that pig's obsession with getting on any possible sports awards stage (and refusing to leave) to try and share in their limelight is one of his most pathetic tendencies lartely, which is saying a lot.

Matt Mustin said...

Not trying to get political or anything, but yeah, why WAS he there? Just cause the game is in the States?

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

Matt: Let's just say the FIFA President is a spineless corrupt bastard that sucks up to people of a certain political disposition.

Bryan L. said...

Matt: Canada and Mexico's leaders were there too, so I think it's a FIFA thing to have the host nation(s) heads of state present at the closing ceremony. Russia's president and the Emir of Qatar were present in 2018/2022.

What I don't get is why HE was putting the medals on both finalists players, on top of wandering into Spain's victory picture.

Luke Higham said...

Louis: Thoughts on the Doomsday trailer.

Matt Mustin said...

That accent is doing nothing to convince me that Robert Downey Jr. was the right choice for this.

Louis Morgan said...

Lucas:

I didn't see that turn coming as it went from seemingly horror to non-horror which is usually the opposite with trailers. As such, I don't looks alright potentially in a weird feel-good avenue that either is too much or just right. From the trailer could go either way, don't mind Gleeson in the lead though or Rankin in a supporting role to be sure.

I mean slightly hard to say because Depp very much developed the character as we know him. My guess though if saying he was just going by the script, be maybe a slight variation on his Sherlock, so for me fine, but not overly memorable.

RatedRStar:

Well I watched the clip on reflecting about his parents which was indeed rather emotional with how genuine he was in the moment.

None that immediately come to mind.

Anonymous:

I highly doubt that, particularly after Infiniti couldn't get the nomination last year in the best picture winner with a larger role. Hathaway I think goes supporting but I think Morton can get in along with her given how much focus there has been on her.

Luke:

I didn't have any major problem with his accent, more so the fact that the trailer was certainly a series of images that in no way granted a sense of what will be the narrative thrust of the film that the Infinity War trailers actually did do. This was just a series of "check out that character" in random bits of action and really in no way made me believe they found a way to really invigorate the universe again, nor did it convince me that this will be a worthy return for the the Russos, Downey and Evans, and not just a desperate "let's try what worked before" by Marvel, that in no way legitimatizes itself as another worthy go around after the ideal exit point that was Avengers Endgame.

Luke Higham said...

Watched The Odyssey, Liked it for what it was attempting to do but didn't love it on the whole. Damon and Pattinson were my MVPs. Personally think it would've benefited from another 15-20 mins to flesh characters out more especially Eumaeus who I thought Leguizamo did a strong job of. Also the sound mix was a pain in the nuts during my screening so I'm gonna need subtitles for a 2nd viewing. Nolan has to attempt horror next.

Luke Higham said...

Louis: Can I have thoughts on cast members that you're willing to give up at this point.

Shaggy Rogers said...

Louis: I wanted to know if you're on vacation?
If yes, this isn't me pressuring you for a reply—it's just so I can plan ahead. So I can pause my 46 movies marathon and do other things.

Shaggy Rogers said...

Oh, never mind.