Wednesday, 26 August 2026

Alternate Best Actor 1990: Robin Williams in Awakenings

Robin Williams did not receive an Oscar nomination, despite winning NBR and being nominated for a Golden Globe, for portraying Dr. Malcolm Sayer in Awakenings. 

It speaks to the taste of at least a swathe of the academy in 1990 that within Robin Williams’s run with them from his first nomination in 1987 to his win in 1997 that they ignored him for this turn, despite the film being a top five favorite. Of course the obvious answer to this question is they nominated Robert De Niro for portraying the first man awakened by the experimental drug used on catatonic patients. Where we get the contrasting choice of performances where De Niro’s is the most overtly actorly performance in the film against Williams giving probably his most subtle turn from his initial breakout. In all of Williams’s Oscar nominated performance, before and after this film, there was a degree of Williams relying on his stand up presence overtly, something that made sense in some instances, Good Morning Vietnam where he played a comedic DJ, more than others, Dead Poet’s Society where Mr. Keating suddenly whips out Brando and Wayne impressions despite the character in no way acting like his sensibility during the rest of the film. Williams forgoes his expected Robin Williams persona fully and effectively though that doesn’t mean he entirely relieves himself of talents related to it. 

Williams constructs a specific character here that does utilize aspects of his talents one would’ve found in his stand-up performances, but entirely in service to the part. The impression abilities noted in his stand-up are featured here but wound naturally within the character of Dr. Sayer, as what Williams does here is technically taking upon the mannerisms of the real man which the character is based on Oliver Sacks, though I think one of the best decisions, in the long term, the film probably made was to rename the character. Williams though utilizes it well to convincingly establish the introverted initial research scientist. Where Williams consistently creates the certain mannerisms naturally into his performance within his very withdrawn and specific physical manner of the man always backing off it would seem, looking down, and almost hiding within himself. An aspect further emphasized in his cadence that is very different from Williams’s frequent larger than life delivery, as brings to life Dr. Malcolm Sayer in earnest. He very much does construct him using those impression skills yet funnels them all properly into the character in a way that just further brings him to life and more immediately grants us a sense of who this guy is before he even takes on what is known as the chronic ward. 

Williams’s performance is effective in creating the struggle initially of Sayer as a man who struggles to connect with humans dealing with patients who often seemingly have no connection whatsoever. In fact his greatest enthusiasm early on is in a failed experiment with worms which is played for a comedic moment however it is easy to appreciate Williams creating the humor of the moment not by falling out of character but rather just showing purely who Sayer is by presenting this earnestness specifically in such a narrow decidedly non-human focus. Williams earns it all the more though by presenting genuine unease in the initial moments of dealing with suddenly hostile patients in the ward, which are the ones who bother to respond to Sayer, but also presenting this very subdued yet potent sense of empathy as he examines the catatonic patients. Williams does a lot with just his eyes in presenting the humanity within Sayer as he focuses on each person and senses that there may be more going on than just a hollow shell as many of his colleagues seem to suggest the people are. Projecting honesty within the moments of discovery certain specific reactions from the patients with this combination of surprise, fascination but also empathetic revelation. 

Eventually Sayer discovers enough to find an experimental drug he tests on one patient to see if it might cure them of their catatonic state, which it does for a man called Leonard (De Niro) who went into the state as a boy. This is where the film mostly shifts focus to De Niro portraying Leonard regaining his ability to communicate and then eventually slowly goes back to his state, in what, for me, sadly feels more so an actor’s showcase than something where I truly felt this was a person the whole time. Williams is very good though in accepting very much the part of the reactor to the seeming miracle change then tragic change. He never tries to make it about himself here, rather allowing himself to be the facilitator and the observer, in a dynamic way however in a way that very much opens the floor to whoever he's acting with in a given scene. Williams delivers a quiet passion in the moments of advocating for change. An interesting combination between anxiety and inspiration when seeing Leonard trying to embrace life that he seemingly is too meek to do so himself, and maybe most importantly brings such a palatable sense of warmth and fierce concern when Leonard starts to falter even lashing out at Sayer directly at one point. A scene that is over the top in many ways, but Williams is not one of them, as his taken aback reaction followed by a certain delivery of not wanting Leonard blamed feel so genuine even when the scene as a whole is not. Williams acts a convincing facilitator even for the inspirational final “what I learned” speech he’s given, which quite frankly eventually became a Robin Williams specific actor cliche as much as Brad Pitt’s eating, Tom Cruise’s running or Tom Hanks’s urinating. Regardless of where it would go I will say Williams does deliver to the best of his abilities in this instance by not overplaying it rather just bringing the quiet earnest passion that is bigger than what we saw at the start of the film, yet still feels true to the modest by nature character. Even in the character arc complete moment shortly later where Sayer asks one of the nurses out, Williams finds the right way to present Sayer’s directness. He speaks with a greater certainty for Sayer, he’s still very quiet, still largely internalized, yet earns the moment of the doctor embracing humans a bit more after his experience with the patients. Although I won’t say Awakenings is a great film, Williams does deliver one of his best dramatic turns by calming his more extroverted sensibilities to deliver a nuanced and genuine performance that better than anyone in the cast delivers honesty within the very sentimental approach of the film.

64 comments:

Aharkin said...

Would you still give De Niro a 2.5 for his performance in Awakenings?

Louis Morgan said...

Yes.

Robert MacFarlane said...

It is SUCH an ego-free performance. It never feels like he's underplaying for the novelty of against-type, it just feels entirely honest. I wish the rest of the movie was on his level.

Harris Marlowe said...

RIP Tim Curry.

Calvin Law said...

Louis: thoughts on the new trailer for Lee Chang-dong's Possible Love?

Robert MacFarlane said...

Louis: I'm not sure it would save the part, but do you think it would be more interesting if Heard played De Niro's role?

Calvin Law said...

Robert: pondered the exact same thing in my review. I think the part inherently calls for less of a movie star and more of a character actor presence (Richard Jenkins is someone else I could've seen in the role). I also do agree that there's issues with the writing of the character in itself that's hard to save.

Luke Higham said...

Louis: Could you review Pszoniak next.

Louis Morgan said...

Calvin:

I have a feeling presented in a slightly more straightforward way to pull in any potential general audiences than will be the actual film giving the nature of Lee's writing and direction. Even within that context looks intriguing enough as a setup that I imagine may go more unexpected ways in the final film.

Robert:

Yes in that I do think it would have been easier to see just Leonard with Heard, and given his own talent level he likely could've fully delivered while seeming less like a prestige actor getting his own pseudo Rain Man role. Having said that, Leonard as written has a lot of problems regardless, as the writing behind him feels overly precious at times while then having that stupid scene where he attacks Williams. Where he suddenly turns into a communist radical organizing the ward against the system...just for that scene. Now a scene where Leonard's frustrations over his condition boiling over makes sense to include but they chose such a contrived way to go about it. Unfortunately false moments like that are inherent within the writing of the character throughout, so whoever had played the part might've struggled with those moments.

Luke:

Sure.

ruthiehenshallfan99 said...

RIP Dolly Parton
RIP Tim Curry
RIP Peter Cullen

Ytrewq Wertyq said...

RIP Peter Cullen

Ytrewq Wertyq said...

Damn, this is a horrible year in general for voice acting community

RatedRStar said...

RIP Peter Cullen

Matt Mustin said...

RIP Peter Cullen. Fucking hell.

Razor said...

RIP Tim Curry and Peter Cullen.

Luke Higham said...

RIP Peter Cullen

Louis Morgan said...

RIP Peter Cullen

Louis Morgan said...

Coyote vs. Acme, it’s substantially better than Alto Knights, therefore easily clears the notion of whether or not it should’ve been released. Having said that, it likely bolstered its critical reaction through its difficult road to release given I think the current glowing reactions seem a little much for a film that is at best fine. There’s a few clever gags, the general arcs are technically there so to speak, however it's rarely hilarious and certainly not particularly emotional. The gags are there, but most of them aren’t great in conception, or more often in execution they’re just kind of “eh”. This is perhaps best represented by the human actors who are all kind of fine in either playing it too seriously or silly, yet don’t really make much of an impact either because they’re neither too serious nor too silly. Rather everything floats around in a level of basic competence but no more than that. Maybe sometimes less, like the world building which is just kind of vague. Which is a little bit of a shame, because I think the general ideas here with a defter touch could've made something truly hilarious here rather than just functionally okay.

Forte - 3
Condor - 2
Cena - 3
Bell - 2
Guzman - 3
Kelly - 2
Byrne - 3
Bauza - 3
Milo - 3

Anonymous said...

"Bolstered its critical reaction through its road to release", really? Here's a thought... how about people just simply had different reactions to the film than you did? Is that harder for you to accept than a cynical presumption?

Matt Mustin said...

Why are there so many assholes on here lately?

Louis Morgan said...

Anonymous:

Given that you left off my use of "likely", I doubt you actually want a thoughtful discussion, but given that many positive reviews for the film go out of their way to praise the film in the context of its release to say it had no impact whatsoever is just ignoring the obvious. And don't misunderstand, the appeal of getting people to see the film to stick it to the rightfully disliked Zaslav is frankly understandable, but to say the reception would be exactly the same without that history just isn't realistic.

8000S said...

R.I.P. Peter Cullen.

Ytrewq Wertyq said...

I think these comments are actually a work of a one guy who's been appearing with intervals here for maybe 2 years, except that he moved on from randomly insulting people to just being a cynical dick.

Lucas Saavedra said...

Louis: What are your thoughts on Liza Colón-Zayas, Marisa Tomei and Michael Mando in Spider-Man: Brand New Day?

Anonymous said...

Louis: Your thoughts on Kevin Carroll and Kingston Rumi Southwick in Widow's Bay?

Jonathan Williams said...

Louis: Could you check out The Witches before you move onto the next review.

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

Louis: Not sure if I have any requests left, but would you consider doing a writeup of Roberts Blossom (and maybe Culkin if he goes up for you) in Home Alone?

Perfectionist said...

So I wonder if anyone needs to hear this, but I have had a change of opinion about something lately..... I think I actually really like MJ from Raimi/Tobey Spiderman movies now. Dunst is so good in her role and gives out of the ordinary depth to a superhero movie love interest even though there's one really significant scene in Spiderman 2 regarding her character that got scrapped regarding the verbal abuse she suffers at the hands of her father and external validation... https://youtu.be/vWg5bGY3jz8?si=06Jyh5kAauw4jJgL

Peter, the only person she genuinely loves, from her perspective spends the entirety of Spiderman 2 leading her on, and so she moves onto the next societally safe choice in that Astronaut guy, like she dated Flash and Harry in the first movie. She's flawed no doubt, but a lot of her feelings are validated from her perception. I just can't agree that she's a bitch. Just a woman combating her own issues.

Perfectionist said...

Hell, I think I really like MJ for how good of an actress Kirsten Dunst is, alone. Compared to most love interests in superhero movies, her MJ feels, for a lack of a better word, alive... Also Peter's kind of a self absorbed dick in Spiderman 3.

Robert MacFarlane said...

Yeah, I’ve had a more generous interpretation with time about her shit taste in men in those movies as well. I just wish they treated her better in terms of how they made her a damsel in distress (Raimi said he felt like shit when he informed her the studio was making MJ a damsel again in 3 after Bryce Dallas Howard got pregnant and they had to rewrite).

Calvin Law said...

Perfectionist: I honestly agree with pretty much everything you've said. And actually my favourite scene in the first Spider-Man is a very MJ-centric one (the one with Peter in the backyard where she tells him she wants to be an actress).

RatedRStar said...

Louis: I was kind of hoping that 1990 would be a bit of a hidden gem year since I have always thought of 1990 as one of the worst ever years for film, it doesn't look like there have been too many hidden gems so far, Metropolitan maybe which I thought you would hate funnily enough lol.

Anonymous said...

Louis: Can I have your extended thoughts on Tony Dalton's performance in Better Call Saul. If you've given them before, then I can't find them.

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

Louis: Could I have your thoughts on this brief Satyajit Ray interview about the contemporaneous reaction to Devi? Think it also informs how pointed the critiques in Nayak are of the commercial film industry of the time.

https://youtu.be/YF7zWCtOywo?is=oJ4dvhtqkCm7Wxoy

Perfectionist said...

Calvin: Oh I love that scene, man. Tobey's really cute there 😍😆, Peter encouraging MJ's ambitions and stuff.

Harris Marlowe said...

Would you consider turning on comment moderation for a while?

Perfectionist said...

Robert: I completely agree to that. I do believe, the change of plans put her in that position again, but I did like her holding her own in that fight sequence, jumping all over the place and throwing cinder blocks at Venom lol, also the final scene with Maguire, Dunst and Franco is really powerful to me.

Matt Mustin said...

Rewatched Wild at Heart and would fully support a review of Dafoe alongside Cage

Louis Morgan said...

Lucas:

Colón-Zayas - (Seems literally there for emotional support and does so convincingly by really not putting much on it other than a person trying to offer a supportive ear and voice while occasionally needing to throw out a bit of exposition. She handles it naturally with a nice ease.)

Tomei - (I didn’t get that much out of her scene as the film seemingly wanted me to, but she’s wholly good in the moment in bringing a combination of caution and warmth in the moment.)

Mando - (Totally fine though also wholly disposable. Mostly just has to sneer at first then gets a little more in his non-Gargan scene where he delivers well enough though doesn’t leave too much of an impact on the whole.)


Anonymous:

Carroll - (Felt he was largely there for most of the series and didn’t leave too much of an impact as the slightly frustrated straight man of sorts. However he managed to leave a bit more of an impact in offering this sudden intensity of a man believing he’s doing the right thing with a completely blinded by his unwavering emotional conviction. A fairly tricky character motivation but I thought he did find a way through it as essentially a man truly suffering from tunnel vision.)

Rumi Southwick - (Found him to be a fairly just bland “dumb kid” performance that really didn’t stand out beyond his specific function, also found him a bit miscast as Rhys’s son, after we see what his wife looked at unless this is a plot point in the future. Otherwise hardly any genius in his casting found him forgettable as the wayward teen and made no impression dramatically or comedically.)

Jonathan:

I will definitely watch the film at some point.

Tahmeed:

We’ll see how support shakes out.

RatedRStar:

Even though it is by Kurosawa I’d say Dreams counts as it got a largely muted response in the initial release but it’s actually fantastic. Although I have a theory that it might’ve gotten such a reaction less for itself and more so from critics expecting another Ran.

Tahmeed:

Pretty heartbreaking in its own way because you can still hear how much that, so called, criticism stings him as he talks about it, and in a way made me think of this year’s wretched discourse around the Odyssey. In some ways things haven’t changed and there will always be those who less want to discuss the film and just find a frame of attack, which I think Ray is in some ways addressing here, however like he says it just sometimes you must press on through it, even if it isn’t easy.

Harris:

I hesitate to do so only because I’m not constantly monitoring the blog, and I like it when all of you can have conversations among yourselves like the one right now about Dunst/MJ. Comment moderation would’ve prevented that from going on as easily. Sadly blogger’s comment moderation is so un-dynamic, as if I could give passes to certain users that would help a great deal. I'd rather allow that substantial positive even if it means dealing with the occasional negative of needing to delete a comment now and again.

Matt Mustin said...

Louis: Any interest in the Cape Fear series with Javier Bardem?

Lucas Saavedra said...

Louis: Your thoughts on the cast of The Rivals of Amziah King?

Anonymous said...

Louis: Your thoughts on Matthew Needham, Kurt Egyiawan, Amanda Collin, Benjamin Evan Ainsworth, Rhys Ifans and Abigail Thorn in HOTD S3.

J96 said...

Louis, Double Features for the 1990 Best Picture Nominees?

Shaggy Rogers said...

Hey Louis
If I get more wins on my predictions and am able to make requests, then the names I suggest are:
Raizō Ichikawa - Conflagration
Toshiro Mifune - A Wife’s Heart

Louis Morgan said...

Matt:

Not particularly given the most positive reactions I've seen are usually as a guilty pleasure.

Lucas:

Hard not to talk spoilers still and I'm not sure anyone else has seen it yet.

Anonymous:

Ainsworth - (I think he does a decent job in sort of the boy lost in a state of attempted decency while also being in fear of someone constantly, and plays the note of that nervous tip toe effectively while portraying a more sincere passion when away from him. It's good work in making at least some impression as a fairly modest character.)

Nothing to add from their previous performances last season for the rest.

J96:

Dances With Wolves/Avatar
Awakenings/Drunken Angel
Ghost/The Ghost and Mrs. Muir
Goodfellas/My Blue Heaven
The Godfather Part III/Conclave

Robert MacFarlane said...

What rating would you give Coyote if he counted as an actual performance?

Lucas Saavedra said...

Louis: What are your ratings and thoughts on the rest of the cast of Awakenings?

Calvin Law said...

Well, now I'm imagining a much better version of Awakenings with Mifune in the Williams role and Shimura in the De Niro role...and Tsutomu Yamazaki as a fellow patient everyone loves.

Calvin Law said...

Louis: what do you make of Cary Elwes never really materialising into a star? I was looking over his filmography and noticed he pretty quickly went from rising star to a supporting player in the 90s, but all that said he's probably had a pretty good and steady career on the whole compared to some of his contemporaries who had bigger flashes of stardom but burned out pretty quickly.

Matt Mustin said...

Calvin: It's interesting because I pretty much always like him, but I wish someone would let him be Princess Bride charming again.

Luke Higham said...

Louis: What do you think of Tim Curry as an alternate casting for Jafar in Aladdin.

Harris Marlowe said...

Calvin: I remember seeing him address that subject here. https://actoroscar.blogspot.com/2023/08/alternate-best-supporting-actor-2009_7.html

RatedRStar said...

Louis and Everyone: Got a question, has there ever been an actor you would like to see reviewed on this blog that has never been reviewed before but simply cannot request them, whether they are mostly TV actors or stage actors?

Luke Higham said...

RatedRStar:
Jared Harris (Hopefully it'll change next year)
Tobias Menzies
Charles Dance (I could request him for Alien 3 but it's way down the pecking order, hope he's great in Batman Part II though)
David Suchet
Ian Richardson
Stephen Dillane
Rowan Atkinson (There's a part of me that wished he never did Mr. Bean, it pigeonholed him for much of his career)
Ronnie Barker (My favourite British TV comedic actor)
Martin Freeman

Ytrewq Wertyq said...

RatedRStar: Maybe Michael McKean, but I like to imagine he was considered for a review with Clue.

Anonymous said...

Louis: thoughts on the trailer for Mouse? https://youtu.be/sfvh4VZsFuY

Tim said...

your thoughts on Roger Ebert's reviews for The Graduate?
I do find it kind of funny how he seems to "get" the movie better the second time around, and then actually uses that as his reasoning to like it less

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

Tim: In a weird way, reading Ebert's second review before watching The Graduate for the first time probably influenced me to give it less credit than it deserved so many years ago.

8000S said...

Louis: I noted that Phillip Baker Hall in Psycho isn't on the ranking for 1998 Supporting.

Even his deliveries lack the punch that McIntire gave to the lines in the original.

Louis Morgan said...

Robert:

3.5 I guess. Though I'll admit his long term plan I found the best part of the film...though I'm a little taken aback by how many people were genuinely moved by the testimony scene, yes I too would consider someone who is trying to constantly murder me a good friend who I want back to keep trying to kill me... Which as a joke could be funny, but as something genuine?

Luke:

I mean sure, but honestly Freeman's performance feels very Curry already.



Anyway also random rant, Coyote can talk when he interacts with Bugs Bunny and a great deep cut canon joke could've been if he started to speak in the Bugs scene and then have him immediately stop afterwards have Forte asked what happened and he uses a sign to act as though he never spoke.

Anonymous:

I mean looks very much like a film from the directors of Ghostlight and I'm all for that honestly. Looks very earnest and probably in a way that will work. Always in for any role for Okonedo and nice to see Pierce in something of note.

Tim:

A fascinating contrast of immediate versus reflection. As his initial reading is a surface take of it as a comedy, against his later review where he sees the subversive elements yet treats them strangely as error. I think in part looking it as though the generational gap, aimlessness of youth, regrets of age are somehow solely dated within 1967, and while the film is distinctly set then, such themes hardly are something that society moves past. Although the later review also distinctly has such a comical hatred of Benjamin, where what he describes is accurate to an extent, yet that is also the point, while lusting over Anne Bancroft, where part of his ire towards Benjamin seems to be not appreciating just how much of a catch she is. Where Ebert in the second review embraces the role of the "parent" in finding less to like the film by listing his distaste for the young man, and finding the mom just that much more attractive.
8000's:

I honestly forgot he was in the movie.

Emi Grant said...

Louis: If I were to guess, people who were moved probably rationalized the whole thing as Roadrunner seeing their dynamic as just a game, but idk if that's accurate to their history.

Ftr, I thought that was a cute moment, but I was more moved by the sisyphean life philosophy of it all.

Lucas Saavedra said...

Louis: your thoughts on the cast of Coyote vs. Acme?

Anonymous said...

Louis, would you be willing to give The Hunt for Red October a re-watch.

Louis Morgan said...

Emi:

It's not.

Lucas:

Forte - (Seemed like they really wanted the other brother from Nebraska given how Saul of Better Call Saul the character is but Saul lite. I found Forte less impressive selling the more comedic moments, because he just plays them a little vague between straightman and embracing the silly. When he's purely dramatic though such as playing the better lawyer, I thought he was decent in selling those moments though not revelatory.)

Cena - (Very much doing his Cena thing but as the villain. He's entirely fine but I would've rather have had someone truly dramatic go fully John Vernon which I would've found funnier.)

Condor - (Just sort of forgettable mostly doesn't really go for any style.)

Bell & Kelly - (Really didn't get much out of their attempted one joke.)

Byrne - (Very much his usual thing at this point.)

Guzman - (Fine in doing his usual thing for a quick bit.)

Anonymous:

I could but I'm not sure what difference it would make overall.