Tuesday, 7 July 2026

Alternate Best Actor 1946: Charles Boyer in Cluny Brown

Charles Boyer did not receive an Oscar nomination for portraying Adam Belinski in Cluny Brown.

Cluny Brown is a wonderful romantic satire of a European professor and the niece of a plumber who together don’t quite fit into the rigid expectations of English society. 

We return to Charles Boyer quite swiftly after his long absence to another un-nominated turn of his. Boyer in this instance plays the atypical lead as a European professor and writer escaping from the Nazi’s for his expressly anti-Nazi views. Although that may sound very dramatic, we actually begin with Adam Belinski just arriving to some random party in England early and in fact being mistaken for a plumber. Boyer is really taking upon two challenges of this role that I would necessarily have pegged him as being ideal for before watching this film yet he absolutely is. The first challenge really is the dialogue itself which is fairly rapid fire for Belinski specifically as he talks circles around everyone, and while Boyer frequently has a more deliberate delivery in most films, in this film he thrives with the far greater tempo. Boyer has an ease with his dialogue and it really just so naturally flows throughout where Boyer through this exudes the intelligence of his Belinski with such considerable ease. There’s the next challenge though is that all this superior intelligence could easily come off as pompous, but Boyer is damn charming here. Boyer’s magnificent in the way he’s able to articulate the nature of Belinski who is smarter than everyone, knows this fact, yet I think he manages to find the tricky high wire of owning but still making Belinski so likable. I think Boyer knows how to emphasize the fun of it all and only brings a more admonishing quality in his quick asides when Belinski is being more corrective against societal foolishness. We even have the opening meeting where he basically gets the host to let him sleep somewhere through this word juggling that Boyer makes so easy to in a way talking down to the man’s manner yet doing so in a way in which he seems the most gracious of teachers. 

The party though leads to two different meetings, one is meeting a young man of wealthy family Andrew (Peter Lawford) who is currently struggling to confirm his romantic relationship Betty Cream (Helen Walker) who is purposefully playing a love triangle between him and another man. Andrew knows of Belinski and offers him a place to stay at his parent’s mansion. I love Boyer’s reactions to the young man’s earnest but also political posturing, where he so naturally manages to bring a graciousness while wholly sarcastically appreciating the young man’s act of writing letters to a newspaper as his great act. Regardless Belinski takes up the offer, and I think what Boyer manages to do though is create in even his sarcasm this genuine glint of appreciation of any passion for his cause even if perhaps the safest. The even more important meeting though comes from the titular Cluny Brown (Jennifer Jones) who acts on her uncle’s behalf, though not with his knowledge, to fix the man’s plumbing issues. Cluny, who loves to plumb, is a ball of fire of enthusiasm though too she ignores the expectations of society though more so in being exactly who she is than coming at Belinski’s intellectual superiority. Either way Boyer’s great in being as impressed with the young woman’s candor, as frankly we the audience are. Boyer’s wonderful in presenting this utter fascination towards Cluny as someone far above and beyond the norm, while offering even this minor self-depication as a non-romantic pact to support each other in their ill-fitting ways. 

Belinski becomes a guest at the house of Andrew’s family which by chance, at the same time Cluny is hired as their new maid, in an attempt by her uncle to set her on the "right path". Although she is almost immediately fired for speaking freely at meals by earnestly suggesting the best food, only saved by Belinski’s intercession pointing out that the host indeed took the piece she suggested. Boyer’s great in just his work of his eyes of admiration but also kind of taking in each scene with the sense of criticism being prepared before he says them, though delivered again in that fantastic way of confronting without confrontation that Boyer makes feel so natural each time. Belinski’s indirect methods get the best of him when he learns Cluny is seeing a local chemist as a romantic partner just as he realizes his own interest in her as such. Something I think Boyer again thrives in his way of cultivating the sense of true admiration that goes beyond just enjoying her rejection of norms but loving everything she does. Boyer’s fantastic in showing this as even something that knocks Belinski back in the moments where he gives his hand away particularly in the almost childlike enthusiasm he brings as Belinski questions Betty if the talkative Cluny ever mentions him. Meanwhile Belinski is still plying his methods beyond that such as directly trying to resolve the Betty, Arthur issue by simply asking her what’s the deal. Where I do love Boyer is just playing the directness of it so well but with his natural humorous touches. Even the moment of commenting on the need to press on in his Anti-Nazi effort, Boyer I think beautifully hits that passionate note with a quiet conviction that reveals the real heart of Belinski. Speaking of my favorite moment of his performance actually isn’t the wit, as much as I’ve enjoyed that, it is a moment of certain earnestness. That is when he’s leaving, thinking Cluny will be married off, she rushes to meet him before he leaves. Where we do get the key chemistry between Jones, where it is less of lusty eyes but rather the combination of Cluny getting to be herself while Boyer projecting nothing but the purest appreciation where both honestly glow as one. I love the pivotal moment where Boyer shows Belinski taking his usual appreciation of Cluny’s one of a kind qualities, until she notes that she was coldly dismissed by the chemist, his mother and other guests for daring to do some needed plumbing. There’s a surprising power in the humor completely lifting from Boyer’s face and there being nothing but deep concern for this horrible treatment of Cluny. Boyer unlocks the key of the moment so naturally in seeing as much as he adores the idiosyncrasy of her, he also hates the rejection of her. A relatively swift wrap up to the film, however honestly it wholly worked for me greatly because I feel both Boyer and Jones deliver the moment so honestly you can’t help but feel they should be together. 

41 comments:

Luke Higham said...

Louis: Ratings and thoughts on the cast.

Tony Kim said...

Insane turnaround for Argentina in that game.

Thoughts on the Argentina-Egypt game, to those who saw it?

A said...

I swear, this tournament's been absolute hell for African teams trying to hold a late lead.

Luke Higham said...

One of the worst bottle jobs I've ever seen in a competitive international.

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

2-0 is indeed the most dangerous lead is all I can say, but kudos to Messi and Argentina for refusing to give up.

Bryan L. said...

Cruelly fitting that Egypt had a late collapse in Atlanta; home of a sports team that did the exact same thing almost a decade ago.

Calvin Law said...

God I love this film so much and glad you adored Boyer and Jones together; for a modern day version of this, maybe a little lazy but I could easily see it being a fun reunion between Mikey Madison and Yura Borisov.

Thoughts on the swansong direction of Ernst Lubitsch, and the screenplay? Making plumbing so dynamic and sexually charged is really quite something especially for the period. Also, would this be your favourite Jones performance?

Calvin Law said...

And I guess Jones joins James Stewart in your books as having a superior Lubitsch performance snubbed in favour of a much lesser performance by the Academy.

GM said...

My Recommendations:

Raimu, The Eternal Husband
Edwige Feuillère, The Idiot
Ida Lupino, The Man I Love
Michele Morgan & Line Noro, Pastoral Symphony
Deborah Kerr, I See A Dark Stranger
Dan Duryea, Black Angel
Louis Jouvet, A Lover’s Return
Alastair Sim, Green for Danger
Claude Rains, Deception

Louis Morgan said...

Luke:


Jones - 5(One of those performances that just shines in a few performances do. Where in a way I only wish there was even more of her because of how much she grips every scene she’s in so effortlessly. It is that effortlessness here that is key where Jones doesn’t need to sell us on the purity of Cluny’s manner; she just is that way where that spirit is just glowing about her and you just immediately believe every second of that spirit. Frankly a character in the wrong hands that could potentially feel contrived or too much Jones is endearing in every single second of everything that she is doing. I especially love the moment of the plumbing where the joy she brings to every second of it and real this specific determination of someone living their best life is just wonderful. Then she’s great though in the forward manner of her character who is trying to just be herself that ends up clashing. Jones though brings the right combination of naivety as Cluny just goes about saying what she thinks but honest in the conviction in which she says every word with a sense of this enlightened manner of someone who would only question why anyone wouldn’t behave this way. I especially love how even in her reactions to those who balk at her behaviors for shirking societal standards Jones presents it with a genuine confusion that people who get in the way of someone enjoying life in the way that she does, and her last two scenes with Boyer are utter perfection. Where she exudes such joy but even the pathos she does show in presenting her bit of distress at her rejection by the chemist family, Jones presents in a way that is heartbreaking because it still captures the sense of disbelief that people would stop her from plumbing like she wants. Then only feeling her moment with Boyer needs to happen as someone properly appreciating that spark that Jones makes so powerful.)

Lawford - 3.5(As the boring guy in the film, which I was overjoyed when Cluny was not forced to find him interesting for a more expected romantic angle, I think he does fine in just playing that note directly particularly his emphatic political beliefs that he presents as sincere albeit also stupid, though correct, but as the nature of the man.)

Walker - 3.5(Plays the sense of lusty manipulation well with kind of the opposite manner to Jones as someone who very much has this innate lack of sincerity in a way that does work and creates the right contrast in the subplot.)

Haydn - 3.5(He will never not be the caterpillar from Alice in Wonderland to me, however I do enjoy his general presence here in the strange, slightly pompous but obviously not worthy of that pompousness. Playing well the sense of a nerd who knows he’s a nerd but tries to act as though he’s not a nerd.)

Gardiner - 3.5(Thought his comedic timing was quite strong actually in being the straight man in the opening with Boyer and Jones. Playing well the “monocle drop” reactions throughout his sequence.)

The rest of the English society brass - (All good in their quick bits of portraying their senseless ghastness against Cluny.)


O’Connor - 3.5(When she never had a line all I could think this was perfect use of her typical overacting by reducing her all to just a cough, a cough that manages to be quite hilarious and is quite easily the most amusing I’ve ever seen her.)

Louis Morgan said...

Calvin:

It would be interesting to see if Borisov could play the intellectual note given he’s played working class in what I’ve seen so far, so maybe. I also thought Belinski would’ve been an ideal part for Christoph Waltz immediately after Inglorious Basterds, with, I’ll admit an obvious choice but obvious because it would work, Amy Adams as Cluny.

Lubitsch’s direction in this instance I felt was very much facilitating the screenplay in the way you see how he was the mentor to Billy Wilder so clearly, though I would say the protege took those ideas to greater heights. In that Lubitsch’s work is relatively straightforward in the directness though with only really breaking off when needed it would seem like the plumbing scenes where he brings a bit more visual flair. Moments that wholly work as such but also his other scenes should not be handwaved. As there is such a natural realization of comedic timing here that is performance driven but Lubitsch has everyone really working in tandem knows really so well in terms of capturing reaction to the bits of essential dialogue and always amplifying the wit with such ease. Speaking of the screenplay really is just outstanding work as I always love a film that can succeed in making so much out of limited stakes and plot progression. As really not too much happens but everything happens. With just the realization of Cluny and Belinski I think importantly not apologizing or backtracking on any. I mean I was waiting for a 40’s shoe to drop where suddenly one needs to conform in some way, I LOVED that the screenplay instead just consistently celebrates their differences meanwhile cutting into the confines of society. Speaking of the dialogue here is outstanding in terms of just how many great lines Belinski says throughout that just cut through the nonsense of everyone again in a way that is very funny, even gentle in some respects, yet never not brutally sharp.

Dom said...

That's wonderful to hear about Boyer's work, hope I can watch the film soon

Tim said...

ok, i sense a pattern with Six Feet Under, as all the storylines in the fourth season are as entetainin gas they were boring in the third. In fact, the entire third season was kind of just set-up for everything done here. I oddly liked what they did with ALL the characters this time, even though one plot is a little more melodramatic towards the end than the rest, i was still somewhat invested in everything going on.
The "somewhat" shouldn't be overlooked here though, this is still not what i would call amazing, or even anything beyong good to really good in parts


MVP: definitely Michael C. Hall

Matt Mustin said...

How are we all feeling about the category placement for Donna Reed in It's A Wonderful Life?

Luke Higham said...

Louis: What do you think of HOTD Season 3 so far.

Louis Morgan said...

Matt:

Definitely supporting. Mary's a very big part of George's journey but never for a moment do I feel it is their journey together let alone her journey.

Louis Morgan said...

Luke:

So far it's been great. With the first two episodes being ideal climaxes...to season 2, and I really liked the most recent episode that honestly had a bit of a Safdie vibe in the whole "it's not so easy being Queen". I won't get my hopes too far up just because of what happened last season but so far so good.

Bryan L. said...

Louis: Your cast & director for…

1970s Disclosure Day
1970s The Mastermind
1990s The Sheep Detectives

Calvin Law said...

Louis: Oh god, Amy Adams as Cluny is so perfect. Though kind of hilarious that you're doing a retroactive Big Eyes pairing.

Luke Higham said...

RIP Bonnie Tyler

Tim said...

R.I.P. Bonnie Tyler

Ytrewq Wertyq said...

RIP Bonnie Tyler

Louis Morgan said...

Bryan:

Hmm Disclosure Day 1970’s for some reason I'm thinking directed by Steven Spielberg:

Margaret Fairchild: Melinda Dillon
Dr. Daniel Kellner: Richard Dreyfuss
Noah Scanlon: François Truffaut
Jane: Teri Garr
Hugo Wakefield: Carl Weathers

The Mastermind 1970’s directed by Robert Altman

JB Mooney: Keith Carradine
Sarah Mooney: Louise Fletcher
Judge Mooney: William Windom
Fred: Rene Auberjonois
Maude: Shelley Duvall

1990’s The Sheep Detective directed by Chris Noonan…though I’ll be less lazy with the cast as I was with Disclosure Day:

George Hardy: Scott Glenn
Tim Derry: Hugh Grant
Eliot Mathews: David Thewlis
Rebecca: Mary-Louise Parker
Beth: Joan Chen
Lydia: Jean Simmons
Caleb: Adrian Lester
Ham: Donald Moffat
Lily: Carol Burnett
Sebastian: Charlton Heston
Mopple: Brendan Gleeson

Calvin:

It perhaps says much about Big Eyes (negatively) that I completely forgot they were paired together previously.

Luke Higham said...

Louis: Could you watch Dragonwyck and Bedlam before you are finished with the year.

Tony Kim said...

To my fellow World Cup viewers, anyone NOT predicting France for the win? I'm sticking with them for now but I'm curious about any dark horse predictions.

Matt Mustin said...

The Captive Heart cast
Redgrave-5(Tough call whether he's truly lead though, I'd say he is, but just barely)
Kempson-3.5
Johns-4
Warner-3.5
Jackson-3.5
Bond-2.5
Barrett-2.5
Radford-3
Hanley-3.5
Middleton-3
Stepanek-3

Bryan L. said...

Tony: It's theirs to lose at this point.

Tony Kim said...

Luke: You're not still predicting England at this point, are you?

Harris Marlowe said...

Louis: Thoughts on Brittany Allen, Tal Anderson and Tina Ivlev's recently Emmy-nominated performances in The Pitt S2.

Robert MacFarlane said...

I thought Allen was great.

Calvin Law said...

My only thoughts on the Emmys are that I'm glad Youn Yuh-jung was nominated (albeit not for a great role or a great season), and Emilia Jones' snub is quite the travesty.

Luke Higham said...

Tony: I'll stick to my guns.

8000S said...

Louis: Your thoughts on the use of "Happy Nation" in X-Men 97.

Also, is it weird for me to imagine Dazzler singing that song?

Louis Morgan said...

Regarding the Invite:

A film that in fact has far more in common with the 1969 Oscar nominated film about two couples than the 1966 Oscar nominated film about two couples, once you get into it. A film that seeks really two intentions, one to entertain the other to attempt to honestly deal with the relationship woes, neither would I say it is fully successful. In terms of the comedy, which is sometimes about the novelty or awkwardness of the situation, it hits enough times and finds enough variation within it. In terms of the drama definitely has its moments as well even if maybe a little expected at times, though has a few unique moments to make for it. Wilde obviously does a far better job than her previous effort in terms of visual direction, which takes a lot of cues from pressure cooker movies, particularly in the use of score, but manages to enliven things enough within the “play” style space of the films. Everything I’ve written though is sidestepping though since I probably seem mostly positive, but really both the drama and comedy have the same problem…Seth Rogen. Rogen I don’t think is a bad actor, he can work in a drama or dramedy, however I think this suggests he’s very limited in that regard and has to be used correctly lest his limits show. I feel that is the case here because for the comedy Rogen very much relies on his shtick more than genuinely this guy in this situation. In the drama though he’s honestly kind of terrible in that he fails to really suggest years of bitterness or anxiety. There’s a particular pivotal element about the character’s music where every delivery should be filled with so much repressed pain, where Rogen just seems slightly annoyed like a guy who doesn’t want to do a party trick or something. This fundamentally though hurts the whole film because I simply never believed in this couple because I saw Wilde who genuinely is realizing what feels like this person in this situation, then you have Rogen just kind of doing his Rogen thing.

Rogen - 2
Wilde - 4
Norton - 4
Cruz - 4

Tahmeed Chowdhury said...

Tony: France is honestly pretty undeniable at this point, but I think Spain and England would be the biggest tests for them.

Argentina really needs attackers other than Messi to step up, and that hasn't happened yet.

Louis Morgan said...

Harris:

Allen - (Kudos on the nomination given apparently she had to push for it herself, and is deserving of recognition. I will say in general I found the patient performances better in season 2 compared to the level of cheese in season 1. Allen is an example of such as she gives a very earnest performance in a really difficult role of the person just weakened and dying the entire time we see her. She’s good at managing to capture both the emotional and physical pain in the state of burdened exasperation. She also captures the anxiety though beyond just the sorrow of her empathy for her family and the concern therein. She manages to play I think the differing moments finding nuance when I think the part very much could’ve been just one note of suffering. She is suffering much of the time but Allen finds complication within that naturally and powerfully so.)

Anderson - (I thought she was fine, I would say her purpose this season was mostly just to hit the comedic note against Deardon’s reactions of disbelief, then just be bluntly not really the caring sister in those moments. She hits those notes I suppose, but I don’t think there was anything too notable about her performance overall.)

Ivlev - (The purpose of her performance is very exact and I suppose she hits the general needs of the part of just portraying the combination of immediate sorrow with also the pain and the awkwardness of going through the procedural moments while dealing with such a difficult situation. I found her convincing as such, but I didn’t think she necessarily brought anything beyond those requirements, but to be fair she’s really there just for those moments.)

8000’s:


I’ll admit the Rogue Magento romantic angle was necessarily my favorite aspect of a show that I thought was great overall, and so far so good in season 2 as well. Having said that, I think great use of the song in setting up essentially first this intensity of that sort of joyful romantic feeling before becoming dissonant quite effectively with the appearance of Cable before everything goes horribly wrong.

For headcannon sure why not.

Anonymous said...

Louis: thoughts on the cast of The Invite?

Louis Morgan said...

Anonymous:

Difficult to avoid spoilers.

Robert MacFarlane said...

We're really on different wavelengths concerning Rogen, I thought it was the best use of him I've seen. Granted, I also loved the movie a lot more than you.

ruthiehenshallfan99 said...

RIP Bonnie Tyler

8000S said...

Louis: Obviously, Rogue would be a huge country music fan.