5. Eddie Murphy in Dreamgirls- Murphy throws a great deal of energy into
his role, but for me I could never separate this from his earlier
4. Djimon Hounsou in Blood Diamond- Hounsou is only ever really loud or
really quiet, which is acceptable for much of his performance, but when
his limits are noticeable they are very noticeable.
3. Mark Wahlberg in The Departed- Wahlberg is enjoyable enough as the loud
abrasive police officer, it is not a complex performance but it serves
2. Alan Arkin in Little Miss Sunshine- Arkin gives a strong performance that is both consistently humorous, but Arkin also effectively brings a great deal of his heart to his performance.
1. Jackie Earle Haley in Little Children- In a part that could have portrayed in an overly cinematic or stylized fashion, Haley always keeps his portrayal far more effective by playing it truthfully to his character.
Ben Affleck in Hollywoodland
Michael Caine in Children of Men