Sunday 6 May 2012

Best Supporting Actor 1998: Results

5. Geoffrey Rush in Shakespeare in Love- Rush is not bad, but besides a few somewhat comedic moment there just is not much to his performance.
4. Ed Harris in The Truman Show- Harris gives a consistently stoic performance that actually is an interesting but not amazing depiction of a pretentious artist who has delusions of grandeur.
3. Robert Duvall in A Civil Action- Robert Duvall is a strong performance as the legal adversary for this film. He creates an effective and unique opponent in just how calm he is throughout the film.
2. James Coburn in Affliction- James Coburn gives an effective performance that brings to life the cruelty, as well as the weakness of his character extremely well.
1. Billy Bob Thornton in A Simple Plan- Thornton easily wins this year for me in his heartbreaking portrait of a simple man who is always trying to do the right thing, but has a very hard time figuring out what the right thing ever is.

5 comments:

Lezlie said...

Aloha!

Regarding deserving performances, what did you think of John Goodman (The Big Lebowski), Giovanni Ribisi (Saving Private Ryan) and Elias Koteas (The Thin Red Line)?

Louis Morgan said...

I simply forgot to add the deserving performances when I posted, and yes I find Goodman, and Ribisi to both be very good. I saw The Thin Red Line about ten years ago so I really need a refresher.

Michael Patison said...

Have you seen Without Limits? It's a great running movie about Steve Prefontaine, but outside of that it's not anything spectacular. I do think that Donald Sutherland was really good (he got a GG nom) as Billy Crudup's coach.

Louis Morgan said...

I haven't seen that one.

Bailey Posey said...

Haha, I was assuming that you would put John Goodman's performance in the Big Lebowski as either a deserving performance or an alternative nomination, I honestly didn't think you would do it, but I was wrong. Also I kind of see why his performance was deserving.