5. Geoffrey Rush in Shakespeare in Love- Rush is not bad, but besides a few somewhat comedic moment there just is not much to his performance.
4. Ed Harris in The Truman Show- Harris gives a consistently stoic performance that actually is an interesting but not amazing depiction of a pretentious artist who has delusions of grandeur.
3. Robert Duvall in A Civil Action- Robert Duvall is a strong performance
as the legal adversary for this film. He creates an effective and unique
opponent in just how calm he is throughout the film.
2. James Coburn in Affliction- James Coburn gives an effective performance
that brings to life the cruelty, as well as the weakness of his
character extremely well.
1. Billy Bob Thornton in A Simple Plan- Thornton easily wins this year for me in his heartbreaking portrait of a simple man who is always trying to do the right thing, but has a very hard to figuring out what the right thing ever is.