5. William Demarest in The Jolson Story- Demarest has a simple role as a supportive mentor, he is properly supportive but little is asked of him.
4. Clifton Webb in The Razor's Edge- Webb has a simple role as a pompous snob, which is portrays with proper snobbishness but again like Demarest little is asked of him.
3. Charles Coburn in The Green Years- Coburn's gives an entertaining and warm performance. He realizes his particular character quite well that only succeeds in adding to his film.
2. Harold Russell in The Best Years of Our Lives- Harold Russell gives a terrific heartbreaking performance that never fails to be moving.
1. Claude Rains in Notorious- Good prediction RatedRStar. The top two of this year are both absolutely terrific heartbreaking performances. What I find amazing about Rains though is that his character never had to be heartbreaking to begin with since he portrays a villain. Rains is astounding in his ability to give both a chilling villainous performance as well as give a sympathetic portrait and turns his character into almost a tragic man.
Henry Travers in It's a Wonderful Life
Lionel Barrymore in It's a Wonderful Life