5. Javier Bardem in Before Night Falls- A good reaction or two do not make up for his paper thin characterization.
4. Geoffrey Rush in Quills - Rush goes overboard with his performance focused to much on the extreme actions of his character to be bothered to really bring any depth to the man.
3. Ed Harris in Pollock- Harris mostly gives a surprisingly dull
performance, but overacts whenever he is not dull. Also he is completely
overshadowed by Marcia Gay Harden.
2. Russell Crowe in Gladiator- Crowe brings an old school cinematic presence which effortlessly carries his film.
1. Tom Hanks in Cast Away- Well Hanks in my opinion should have been the only one actually nominated therefore he definitely is my choice. Hanks though gives a very good performance as an average guy in a dire situation. His whole change is carefully and effectively portrayed, and simply gives a strong compelling performance in a film that is almost a one man show.