Saturday 16 April 2011

Best Actor 1960: Results


5. Trevor Howard in Sons and Lovers- I like that Trevor Howard tries to get something out of his fairly simplistic character, but he just is simply not given enough to do.
4. Spencer Tracy in Inherit the Wind- Tracy does a lot of big acting court room scenes, as well as believable mannerisms, he does both well, but not that well. And yes that's 9 losses to 0 wins for Tracy.
3. Jack Lemmon in The Apartment- Jack Lemmon gives a charming, and humorous performance, that simply is enjoyable to watch. He creates a character and performance that is just great to follow through on his corporate misadventures.
2. Burt Lancaster in Elmer Gantry- Lancaster's performance is a terrific one because of his fascinating creation of Elmer Gantry. His wild energy is just perfect for the wild Gantry. Lancaster completely throws himself into his role creating a compelling character, with a fascinating combination of sarcasm, and earnestness.
1. Laurence Olivier in The Entertainer- I will admit this one really was pretty easy for me to choose. Olivier stood out for me as the best with his outstanding portrait of the on his last legs Vaudevillian Archie Rice. Olivier portrait of Rice's facades he puts on to hide the truth are perfectly handled by Olivier, and his moments where he shows the real honest Rice are incredible.
Deserving Performances:
Anthony Perkins in Psycho

10 comments:

MovieNut14 said...

Correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't Olivier's character's name in The Entertainer Archie Rice, not Leach?

Anonymous said...

How many wins does this make for Olivier?

Louis Morgan said...

MoviewNut14: Yes it is, I guess I must have been thinking a little too much about Cary Grant.

Sage: That makes it four with three leads, and one supporting.

dinasztie said...

Had you given out the awards Olivier would have struggled placing his statuattes. :) You really seem to like him. I'm disappointed that Jack Lemmon didn't win but I haven't seen Olivier to tell the truth so who knows? I'm happy Burt didn't win anyhow.

I think you will give him at least another vote for Hamlet. Is he your favorite actor?

Louis Morgan said...

Yes he would have to get a big mantel. Also after seeing more and more of him, I have to say he might be my favorite actor.

dshultz said...

I think your enthusiasm for Olivier is causing me to become an enormous fan of his. And I was right about the Stuart Whitman-esque upset!

Anonymous said...

Well, a nice ranking even though Lemmon was only third, I will definitely be seeing The Entertainer soon. Thanks for acknowledging Anthony Perkins in Psycho.

What year's next: 1951?, 2010?, 1940?

Louis Morgan said...

It will be one of those three.

joe burns said...

You sure like Olivier! I like Lancaster a lot, he's pretty good.

dshultz said...

Hang on, I just realized that this marks 3 wins for Olivier! That's a record!