5. Chill Wills in The Alamo- Wills may be everyone's cousin, and the cast be praying harder for him to win this than actual people who were praying for their lives, but that does not stop his performance from being completely forgettable.
4. Jack Kruschen in The Apartment- Kruschen gives a good humorous performance which is a nice little part of a great film.
3. Sal Mineo in Exodus- Mineo manages to stand out when he can in his role, and shows all the right passion and anger into his role that is unfortunately pushed into the background much of the time. He also has an absolutely terrific scene that shows a little more to his character, unfortunately I feel the film underused Mineo preventing this from being a great performance.
2. Peter Ustinov in Spartacus- Ustinov role is small, but I feel he
gives an incredibly enjoyable performance anyways. He always adds a nice
humorous charming presence to his film despite his performance being
1. Peter Falk in Murder, Inc.- Falk performance is in an almost terrible film. Falk unlike the rest of the film gives an interesting realistic and effective portrait of a violent gangster who quietly gets what he wants most of the time, but uses brief intense violence when he faces too much resistance.
Charles Laughton in Spartacus
Laurence Olivier in Spartacus
Eli Wallach in The Magnificent Seven
Fred MacMurray in The Apartment